• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 arosenwald

arosenwald

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:50 PM

While I've seen a lot of really creative paint jobs for this figure, I went with the "traditional" look, if only because I'm running the campaign these ladies appear in and I wanted her to look the way I've described them to my gaming group.

I apologize for the poor photo quality - I'm not much of a photographer, but I'm having brunch with a friend of mine who is a pro next week and I'm going to pick up some tips from her!

I appreciate all feedback and suggestions!

IMG_3332.JPG
  • Jordan Peacock, kay13, klawzie and 3 others like this

#2 Tranquil Ape

Tranquil Ape

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

those gems are very well done... the only thing I would comment on is that as a whole, it seems sort of muted... I might have chosen either a slightly brighter red-tone or brought all the highlights up more... might have given it a lil more 'pop' but definitely a good piece of work.
-------------------------------------
Formerly known as "D"rayla

My CMON gallery

#3 klawzie

klawzie

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 569 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

I don't know - I think I like it as much as I do because of the muted palette. It makes the uniform look "used" for awhile and not parade uniform pristine.

#4 arosenwald

arosenwald

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:22 PM

Thanks! It definitely is brighter when I'm looking at it, I think I need to play with my camera settings to get a more accurate picture.

I would appreciate any suggestions you could leave about how to jazz up the base.

#5 Froggy the Great

Froggy the Great

Apostrophe Ninja

• 16189 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

For the image, just load it up in GIMP and run an "auto white balance" - that's usually all the correction I need to do on my pics.
  • arosenwald likes this

Gallery of Froggyness

irc.sorcery.net #reaper
Wonderland No More

#6 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1930 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

Solid work; you definitely got the battle hardened warrior look on this one. If you want to brighten up your red some, thinned out bright orange works great for highlights.

#7 Jordan Peacock

Jordan Peacock

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 624 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

2012-10-15-reaper-60025-graymaiden-arosenwald.jpg

If you're using Photoshop, you could try adjusting the Contrast/Brightness meters (usually all I need to do for my camera), or else Levels. I tried both here, plus "Replace Color" to select specific areas (red in the cloak, purple in the gem) to increase saturation a bit, to see if that helps?
  • arosenwald likes this

#8 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2849 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:24 AM

If you are using GIMP (because you know its free) just use the Levels "Auto" option (its in the Colours menu). This works great for me and lets my phone produce some passable photos.

Now she just needs her base prettied up to go with the lovely paint work. Btw if you have any bases with a completely flat top I recomend moving her to one of them. I've discvered that the tiny lip on her base is great for when you have one of the minis with an intergrated base for establishing a fit and building a transition to the base.
Daily Encounter - Dungeons and Dragons 4E content for players and DMs.
Me in Reaper's Inspiration Gallery

#9 Barthykan

Barthykan

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:25 AM

Diggin' the gems! Well done.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pathfinder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users