Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
arosenwald

60044: Damiel, Iconic Alchemist

9 posts in this topic

As a teacher, I look at lesson plans I did in my first few years of teaching and I sit back and slap my forehead as I reflect on how poor of a job I feel I did. Even though I'm still new at this, I feel the same way when I look at this paint job (but I'm putting it up anyway, at the wife's prodding).

I play an alchemist in one of the campaigns my group is in, and so naturally I painted this fig as soon as possible. That said, I'd appreciate any advice you could provide, especially in the areas of painting eyes (I've ready the "Bette Davis eyes" article, so anything else would be good) and hair. I will go on record as saying that I feel like the picture doesn't do it justice, but I'm working on that ;)

As always, feedback is appreciated.

post-8156-0-14247300-1350428591_thumb.jpg

post-8156-0-69175100-1350428608_thumb.jpg

post-8156-0-84885800-1350428620_thumb.jpg

Trust me- the wife- that this picture doesnt do the fig justice. The vials are amazing as is the shading overall.

That's pretty good. Needs more shading.

The Bette Davis Eyes technique is pretty good, but its real easy to ruin the eyes while painting the face. A little runaway wash can spoil your whole day. I like to save eyes for last.

The technique I use most often works like this:

1. Paint the entire eye and eye socket area (eyelids, etc.) with the base color of your model's flesh tone. Since I use Reaper Master Series Paints, this would be the Shadow for whatever flesh tone I'm using.

2. Paint the eye and edges of eyelids with black or dark brown. I can usually accomplish this with a single short brushstroke using a 0 or 00 brush. Black if I want a very bold eye, brown if I want something more realistic and natural looking.

3. Paint the eye with white or an off-white. Reaper's Leather White works well for this.

4. Let the whole thing dry thoroughly.

5. Using an ultrafine sharpie marker, I place a dot along the white line so that there is some miniscule amount of white space below it and none above it.

Great conversion on giving him a back pack. When I started painting him I looked at what color of coat he was wearing so I went with a leather coat. I found out that the secret to great looking mini's realy quick is to wash them. For example base coat the flesh parts elf flesh than wash them in earthshade wash and look at how that turns out just for the flesh parts.

Great conversion on giving him a back pack. When I started painting him I looked at what color of coat he was wearing so I went with a leather coat. I found out that the secret to great looking mini's realy quick is to wash them. For example base coat the flesh parts elf flesh than wash them in earthshade wash and look at how that turns out just for the flesh parts.

That's not a conversion. If your Damiel didn't have a packback then you were missing a piece from your package.

@Gailbraithe: I never thought to use a Sharpie. Thanks for the idea!

@jbarron: Thanks for the compliment, but my mini came with the backpack - no modding by me!

There are problems with using sharpies.

The only thing that stands out as strange on this mini is the eyes. These days I use the Bette Davis technique for quick easy eyes & though a stray wash is a danger I'm yet to have an incident with stray wash that is not easily solved with quick application of a dry brush to suck up the extra paint.

With all that in mind you may prefer the methods described by Jen Haley here: http://www.paintrix-miniatures.com/articles.php?&art=7&page=1

Doing great, and your wife was right to prod you into posting. I like the vials, all the interesting little splashes of really fit with the way I view the alchemist character.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Disemboweler
      Hello everyone. Here are some goblins a painted that I'm sure many of you are familiar with. I have not posted anything in a long time because married life kind of takes up lots of my time :) 

• By OneBoot
      One of MrBoot's coworkers found out that I painted minis (apparently my husband has been, ah, talking about my skills at work  ), and wanted to know if I would be willing to take a commission for his player character. He provided the figure, a Wizkids male elf sorcerer, with a neat translucent fireball spell effect surrounding one hand, as well as his character's background and some details he'd like. I asked some clarifying questions about color scheme and the base and such, as well as explained generally how much different paint job qualities would be. He opted for my "deluxe" level, which includes freehand details and a nice base, since he expects this character to stick around for awhile.

His character is a half-gold dragon pyromancer, with "subtle patches of gold scales on his skin" and "gold eyes with red flecks" (I could not manage the red flecks, but did manage to get a wee bit of gold in there), as well as a "cloak with a subtle dragon scale pattern" (my suggestion to him, since he wasn't sure what he wanted on the cloak).

I found this mini both a lot of fun and terribly frustrating to paint; the details were muddy or missing in some places while being oddly sharp in others, and trying to work around the cloak and staff were at times irritating. Also, I don't know what kind of plastic the thing's made out of, but it half-murdered my hand trying to remove the integrated base so I could re-base it. But I eventually finished it, and I have to say I'm really quite happy with how it turned out! Especially the fire, I took a chance on doing a couple ink glazes/washes to preserve the translucency, and it worked out exactly like I'd hoped it would!

The base is from Secret Weapon Miniatures.

Anyways, enough wordy stuff, here's the pictures!

The lighting is darker in this one because I was trying to capture the proper color of the cloak. It's slightly more orange in person, and not quite as bright. The patch of scales on the back of his hand is visible here (I used metallic paint so it's actually shiny).

And here's some close-ups of his face; you can see the shiny patch of scales on his cheek more clearly here, as well as the dot of gold in his eye.

Colors used: (this is mostly for my own records)
      Brown liner
      P3 Red ink
      P3 Yellow ink
      Dragon Bronze (so shiny!)
      Mahogany brown
      Chestnut brown
      Ginger cookie
      Tanned leather
      Oiled leather
      Leather brown
      Spattered crimson
      Big top red
      Heraldic red
      Leather white
      Solid white
      Stone grey
      Powderburn brown
      Golden shadow
      Palomino gold
      Sun yellow

New things I tried on this piece:
      *Eyebrows - those things were stupidly hard to get right, I ended up redoing them like 4 times
      *Freehand - I kinda just...figured out the scale pattern as I went. It's not great, but not as terrible as my usual attempts at freehand, so I'm okay with it. I'm surprised it turned out as well as it did, given that I was annoyingly shaky when I was trying it, but I was down to the wire and didn't have time to wait until I was steadier
      *Painting a translucent surface - I made a thin wash/glaze with P3 ink, Brush-on sealer, wash medium, and a little water. I wish I'd written down the proportions of each I used, since the resulting mixture worked great!

He was SO happy with it when MrBoot gave it to him today that he paid me extra! Which was quite nice, since after I was a good part of the way through painting it I realized I had rather undercharged him for the level of detail he'd requested (I'd charged $35, thinking I'd have it done in about 7 hours), and I actually ended up giving him what I would consider a $50 paint job anyways.

So overall, for my second commission, it was a very positive experience!

Huzzah!
      --OneBoot :D
    • By InvisibleThumb
      Yet another speed paint, this one pretty much human sized.  I'm thinking of using this one in a Frostgrave warband.  It's not exactly human, but I think that works in the setting (there are beast crafters after all).  If I do decide to use it in a warband I think I'll have to base it on something standard.

• By FirstLevelFighter
      My pathfinder Sarenite paladin, Zekir, has picked up a couple of followers. The first is Aysun, an oracle. I did a little conversion and painted up 77217: Mi-Sher by Julie Guthrie to represent this daughter of the desert, diviner of the Dawnflower, and servant of the spirits of her ancestors. I cut off her left hand and scimitar and replaced them with the left hand of 77091: Nienna, Female Elf Ranger by Werner Klocke.

I also eventually lopped off her other scimitar, before deciding to keep it after all and pinning it back on. The brooch in her left hand is made from a tiny washer and a rhinestone.

She is painted up to match Zekir's color scheme.

• By Thes Hunter
      So I for the Fall Exchange of 2015, I got @Keianna as my partner. She requested something she could use in gaming, and let me know that they were running through Wrath of the Righteous. I looked through the types of monsters and characters in the PDF I snagged (with some free money from either Reaper or Gen Con or something) and looked for something in my collection that would fit the bill.  02923: Princess of Hell was a great match for one of the NPC's, a succubus by the name of Vellexia. That as part of the module, the adventurers have to find a way to entertain, one way or another. 

In the module, she looks like this:

And here is my interpretation of her in miniature form:

More pictures below the cut (The same really, but with different exposure settings)

I hope you all enjoy her! She has a good home with Keianna.

• Who's Online   22 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)