smokingwreckage

Browns and Colour Theory

37 posts in this topic

I lost the thread, someone asked about browns on the colour wheel.

They are very dull (desaturated, I think) oranges and yellows.

And now you know.

Largely true.

But brown is a tertiary color that can be mixed a variety of ways. Olive drab is a green brown and should be treated as such on a color wheel. And you can get yellow, red, or purple browns as well (we mostly call blue-brown "gray"). If PAE were around, I'm sure he'd be happy to expound at length on browns — leather brown, earth brown, mahogany brown, grass brown, sky brown, snow brown ....

^_^

Olive drab is a

Desaturated dark yellow.

The most efficient way to make it is adding black to Yellow.

1 person likes this

That's because black is most commonly a very dark blue, and blue plus yellow equals green. OD is clearly not yellow.

I hope to one day be able to paint in all broken colors :)

OD is clearly not yellow.

OD is very clearly yellow. There are other "military greens" that are bluer, but OD is not green.

Of course this argument would need to establish what exactly we are calling OD. And what we mean by yellow and green. It will turn philosophical.

OLIVE DRAB, right??

Thats RGB #666600 What is RGB #FFFF00 Why its pure bright Yellow!

Do not disrespect my color authority. I've got mutant eyes that pick up two different color palletes.

1 person likes this

mmm every color I have that claims to be olive drab is definitely a green, sounds like a philosophical discussion that could spill forth into beekeepers.

OD is very clearly yellow.

Man in Black: "You've made your decision then?" :D

Olive Drab is defined by the Federal Standard 595 paint spec as FS14087 which is indeed green as indicated by the second number in the code which is a 4 which is green. Now truly the debate becomes what color is olive drab?

Olive Drab is a color I used to see way too much of. Now it's Foliage Green.

Do not disrespect my color authority. I've got mutant eyes that pick up two different color palletes.

If we're going to play that game, my last color acuity test was about three months ago. Per that test, my color acuity is "superior", a result of my not making any mistakes in any of the four sets of color chips. When was your last test? :rolleyes:

That said, "olive drab" (like "khaki") is a tertiary color (which is to say, mixed from all three primary colors) and the name describes a variety of colors, sometimes more yellow and sometimes more blue, but nearly everyone would describe the middle of that range as some variant of green. Anyone who doubts this can try a Google image search on "olive drab" and decide for himself.

But hey, call it "red" if it pleases you.

I agree that Olaf is drab, and he should make an effort to be more festive.

2 people like this

Primary colors don't exist anyway, everyone in this argument (Including me) is basically wrestling on a house of cards. I do get that people perceive it as "green" but there are lots of reasons why.

I know if I want OD, I take yellow and add black.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now