Sign in to follow this  
Harumphery

Ogremage WIP

I've always liked this Ogre Mage model, and the other day I finally bought him

ogremageearliestwip.jpg

I got most of the base coating done and started in on his flesh before I remembered to snap a picture. His skin is base coated GW Shadow Gray,and highlighted up to Space Wolf Grey. The creases around his jowels and under his chins and man-boobs got some red, green and purple ink washes.

ogremage.jpg

ogremage1.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality indoors iPhone picture. It took a lot of debate on my end to figure out how I wanted to paint this guy's clothes. I knew I wanted something to contrast with the monstrous nature of the ogre mage. I ended up going with a floral pattern. I've never tried any freehand like this before, but I like where it's going. The flowers will be highlighted up to a light pink. At the end I'll be drybrushing and inking some brown around the pant cuffs and his feet to muddy 'em up a bit.

ogremage3.jpg

More flowers getting added, still working on highlighting 'em up to pink. I'll make the big bow on his belt thing a satiny pink sorta color too. I like to imagine that this brute murdered some poor traveling silk trader and took the expensive silk intended for ladies evening gowns (or something) to make his own clothes. He doesn't care for his clothes however so they'll be muddy and stained.

More pics to come as I work on him.

• Like 3

I love this mini, too. Great concept for the color scheme! Glad to see I'm not the only one who makes up a backstory :p

• Like 1

Wow. You actually bought a miniature then started painting it? No, like, queue or prepping it and loosing interest. Man, what that must be like.

I really like the purple that you've added to the face and if you want to smooth out the transition (especially on the forehead wrinkles) do a thin glaze (at least 5:1 water:paint though maybe 10:1 and do several passes) of your base skin over the top of the wrinkles and around the edges on the rest.

Thanks guys. His face isn't quite finished yet. I tend to skip around to different places when I paint a model, but I almost always get the basics of the face done first. I find it helps me paint to have a face looking back at me for some reason. Thats also why I come up with (very brief) sorta backstories and personalities while I'm painting..

Finished highlighting up the flowers and gave him a lovely pink bow. Gonna leave his clothes the way they are for now and start working on a different area. I'll come back and tidy everything up then.

omdiff.jpg

And then we have the backside, where things start getting fiddily.

ombackf.jpg

• Like 4

My fiancee thought it was odd, but I told her it's more odd (to me) to see an Ogre Mage NOT in silk flowered pants!

Ogre_Mage.JPG

• Like 1

Hah, Cash, I actually saw that picture while I was looking up ogre mages for inspiration, didn't even notice the flowery pants.

Work on the ogre mage continues at my usual snails pace.

newestom.jpg

More crummy iphone pics for now. Hopefully the sun will be right tomorrow for me to take some better outdoors pics. Hes getting closer and closer to being done. Started work in on the fiddly bits tonight. His belly rings need some more red ink around 'em and just looking at this picture I see so many touch ups and things that still need to be done. And thats just the front!

newestkappa.jpg

And back here is where things get really fiddly. The little green weirdo on his back is called a Kappa, which is apparently some sorta japanese water imp. Do yourself a favor and don't do a google image search of those; you'll get a peak at some of the weird parts of the internet. His shell and hair aren't done at all yet, and his face needs work, but the image is so fuzzy its hard to see. I just had to get a pic of him from a different angle

• Like 2

Alrighty the ogre mage is about 95% done now, and this is the place where I normally like to take a break from painting the model and finish up the base. I find I'm a lot more forgiving of any little touch ups and hard to see bits once the base is done. I've already started greenstuffing around half of the base, I'll do the front tonight and paint it up tomorrow.

swordarm.jpg

The ivory on the handle is directly inspired by this post by Jen: http://www.reapermin...__fromsearch__1 in the show off forum. This particular ogre mage is hard to find painted pictures online, luckily there are a few good ones on this very forum. I went with the rusty blade to continue the overal theme of an ogre mage with a preference for the finer things, but no inclination to take care of them. His fingernails still need to be painted, and the straps on his bracer need to be painted a different color, the grey is too close to his skin tone.

almostdoneback.jpg

And all the fiddly bits back here are at least basecoated now. The kappa still needs a lot of work, his shell is only just basecoated and I need to redefine the green around his eyes. And finish his hair. I had a hard time telling if the little things at the top left of his basket were bags or like, water skins or something. They kinda reminded me of bell peppers though, so I painted 'em up in those colors. The little blue bag on his waist needs to be dirtied up a bit, and the decapitated head is awaiting a final highlight of Rotting Flesh.

• Like 3