• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ced1106

ced1106

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 778 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:00 AM

I've been using the Reaper's The Craft Bette Davis eyes technique, but figured I'd add a modification to the popular "almond eyes" technique, which I'm now trying to learn. in the "almond eyes" technique, you paint the eye socket black or brown in an almond shape, followed by a smaller white almond shape, then the pupil.

1. Paint the eye socket brown or black in an almond shape. Wait to dry.

2. You're going to use a cleanup brush. Get a larger brush, wet it a little, and hold it between your lips.

3. Paint the eye socket off-white in a smaller almond shape, starting at the bottom of the eye. Aim for a thin black line at the top of the eye. You'll probably have too much white in the socket when done, and have white paint covering the bottom edge of the eye.

4. Switch brushes. Use the larger brush to gently scrape or wipe away the excess wet white paint around the edges of the eye, leaving the black edge around the white area. Let dry.

5. Rinse the cleanup brush. You're gonna need it for the pupils.

I actually use a cleanup brush all the time when painting to get to those stray marks cleaned up. Maybe I should mention that you'll want to use it in step 1...

The Craft Bette Davis Eyes
http://www.reapermini.com/Thecraft/12

1. Dip and whip. Dip your detail brush into your rinse water and whip the brush. This gives it a point.
2. Dip the tip. Dip the tip of the detail brush into the paint, unthinned. Unthinned paint give you control, but since the tip already has rinse water on it, the paint won't dry out quickly.
3. Wipe. Wipe off paint from the tip. You should see the paint in the tip, but not any paint blobbing on the brush.
4. Light. Use strong light when painting the eye. Myself, I stand under a room light.
5. Vertical line. Paint a vertical line, not a dot.
6. Blot if necessary. Have a second larger brush around in case you make a mistake and need to wipe off the wet paint.
7. Satisfactory is perfect. Aiming for perfect eyes leads to frustration. MUCH of the problem with eyes comes from the sculpt. Male figures tend to have smaller eyes than females.
  • Last Knight likes this

#2 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2173 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:47 AM

This is actually how I do eyes.

#3 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• 7380 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

I haven't really done much in the way of eyes, but the 'clean-up' brush is basically the way the 2-brush blending works. Keep a second brush in your teeth and smooth blends as you paint with the loaded brush. Works about half the time for me.
  • ced1106 likes this
The Wily Brush: Man vs Paint
Project Index
Proud member of Corporea's Corps, Mocha's Minions and Pixel's Posse
Former member of the CashWiley Fan Club
Posted Image

#4 Gailbraithe

Gailbraithe

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 302 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

I haven't really done much in the way of eyes, but the 'clean-up' brush is basically the way the 2-brush blending works. Keep a second brush in your teeth and smooth blends as you paint with the loaded brush. Works about half the time for me.

Does the brush end up on the floor, dropped while you fumble with the switch-out, leaving you to desperately scramble for it before the paint dries, only to slam your head into the underside of your paint desk as you come back up, which causes you drop the miniature you were working on, leading to pinned on bits disappearing under your desk, never to be seen again?

Because that always happens to me when i try two-brush blending.
  • Lastman, Deadeye_Jake, CashWiley and 2 others like this

#5 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 3841 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

pictures please!

EDIT: saw the link. Thanks! I'm gonna try this!

2014 Painted Miniatures/Models: 42

tesune_avatar_by_girot-d7m9w4z.gifTesune in Boldly Into Darness Go

Download the Story Mode PDF to catch up!  Last updated 6-7-14

#6 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• 7380 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:01 PM

I have rolled a couple fumbles, but nothing quite that bad. I have the Sure Hands skill.
The Wily Brush: Man vs Paint
Project Index
Proud member of Corporea's Corps, Mocha's Minions and Pixel's Posse
Former member of the CashWiley Fan Club
Posted Image

#7 cloudshaper2k

cloudshaper2k

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:57 PM

Does the brush end up on the floor, dropped while you fumble with the switch-out, leaving you to desperately scramble for it before the paint dries, only to slam your head into the underside of your paint desk as you come back up, which causes you drop the miniature you were working on, leading to pinned on bits disappearing under your desk, never to be seen again?

Because that always happens to me when i try two-brush blending.

I think this deserves a tutorial video.
  • Girot, Niranth and Last Knight like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users