Mercius

Goblin Shaman

Well, here is my latest miniature. It was the first time I have ever attempted painting detailed jewels (in the skull on the staff) and I also added little freehand details like the lips and the spots on the mushrooms. This is my second or third attempt at painting weathered metallics and I think I am also improving in the area too. Please let me know what you think and if you would be so kind, drop me a vote on CMON.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/316803

img5084985bdcab9.jpg

• Like 6

Absolutely amazing! I love the purples and the tounge just sets the piece off. Your weathered metallics look great!

• Like 1

Vivid use of color, and well executed! Your blending is fantastic, and I can only find 1-2 places that aren't as good as most spots..but I literally have to nit-pick an amazing piece of work to find them. Can't wait to see more of your work!

• Like 1

I've had that mini lying around unpainted forever...almost. Your EXCELLENT brushwork & basing have brought me to the realization that it actually is a pretty cool mini. VERY WELL DONE!

Now I'll wander off to C.M.o.N. & vote on your Green Guy...in a totally unbiased fashion of course.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I spent a good deal longer on this one that I typically do. I really wanted to pull out all the stops and paint a really nice mini before my kid arrives in a few days lol.

• Like 1

Vivid use of color, and well executed! Your blending is fantastic, and I can only find 1-2 places that aren't as good as most spots..but I literally have to nit-pick an amazing piece of work to find them. Can't wait to see more of your work!

The only EXTREMELY small thing that stood out to me was maybe a little too much contrast in the weapon between the green and the metallic. And seriously, what he said....it would be nitpicking to even say that. The rest was beyond incredible. Every piece of shading and detail was great, and the work around the gem was amazing.

• Like 1

That patina was a excellent addition. Wasn't sure what else you were going to do to him when you stated you were done, except for a few small things, in the WIP thread.

• Like 1

Thanks! I thought it added a nice touch. The gemstone in the skull was the part I was dreading the most and it was pretty much the easiest part to paint.

Great job, Mercius! I told you gemstones were easy! They look impressive, but they really aren't hard.

The weathered metals look very good. Well done!

• Like 1

I think the things that stand out to me are pure stylist differences in what I like vs what you like. Having said that I think your rope and bones on that staff are too similar is colors (base, shading and highlights) so it's really hard for me to tell what that part of the miniature are as they blend into one crazy looking object for me.

Also the blending on said rope, and the shoes, are too non-existent for me. Looks like they both go, especially the feet, from straight shade to highlight with no inbetween.

Anything else is really more "you don't paint like me! RAWRRR!!" then actual critique.