• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Mercius

Mercius

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

Well, here is my latest miniature. It was the first time I have ever attempted painting detailed jewels (in the skull on the staff) and I also added little freehand details like the lips and the spots on the mushrooms. This is my second or third attempt at painting weathered metallics and I think I am also improving in the area too. Please let me know what you think and if you would be so kind, drop me a vote on CMON.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/316803

Posted Image
  • Thrym, ub3r_n3rd, Last Knight and 2 others like this

#2 Pole

Pole

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 440 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

Absolutely amazing! I love the purples and the tounge just sets the piece off. Your weathered metallics look great!
  • Mercius likes this

2013: 14 Minis Painted

2014 Mini Painting Goal:  Paint something :down:
Free time = 0

#3 Wilwarin

Wilwarin

Godlike

• Members
  • 1503 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

Fantastic piece, love the details!!
  • Mercius likes this

#4 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2021 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:35 AM

Vivid use of color, and well executed! Your blending is fantastic, and I can only find 1-2 places that aren't as good as most spots..but I literally have to nit-pick an amazing piece of work to find them. Can't wait to see more of your work!
  • Mercius likes this

#5 malefactus

malefactus

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:47 AM

I've had that mini lying around unpainted forever...almost. Your EXCELLENT brushwork & basing have brought me to the realization that it actually is a pretty cool mini. VERY WELL DONE!
Now I'll wander off to C.M.o.N. & vote on your Green Guy...in a totally unbiased fashion of course.
  • Mercius likes this
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member. G.Marx

#6 Mercius

Mercius

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

Thanks guys. I spent a good deal longer on this one that I typically do. I really wanted to pull out all the stops and paint a really nice mini before my kid arrives in a few days lol.
  • Adrift likes this

#7 Matbar

Matbar

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 314 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:26 AM

Vivid use of color, and well executed! Your blending is fantastic, and I can only find 1-2 places that aren't as good as most spots..but I literally have to nit-pick an amazing piece of work to find them. Can't wait to see more of your work!

The only EXTREMELY small thing that stood out to me was maybe a little too much contrast in the weapon between the green and the metallic. And seriously, what he said....it would be nitpicking to even say that. The rest was beyond incredible. Every piece of shading and detail was great, and the work around the gem was amazing.
  • Mercius likes this

#8 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5323 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

That patina was a excellent addition. Wasn't sure what else you were going to do to him when you stated you were done, except for a few small things, in the WIP thread.
  • Mercius likes this

@monkeysloth

New: Current Contest and Active Ribbon list | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#9 Mercius

Mercius

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

Thanks! I thought it added a nice touch. The gemstone in the skull was the part I was dreading the most and it was pretty much the easiest part to paint.

#10 MamaGeek

MamaGeek

Godlike

• Members
  • 2102 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

Great job, Mercius! I told you gemstones were easy! They look impressive, but they really aren't hard.

The weathered metals look very good. Well done!
  • Mercius likes this
Posted Image
Proud Member of WAMP

#11 Mercius

Mercius

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:20 AM

Thanks Joy!

#12 Clever Crow

Clever Crow

Enlightened

• Artists
  • 258 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

Very nice... Your work is always improving!!!
  • Mercius likes this

#13 Mercius

Mercius

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

Thanks Michael!

#14 Mercius

Mercius

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

Anyone else got any critiques or things they would like to see me improve on?

#15 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5323 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

I think the things that stand out to me are pure stylist differences in what I like vs what you like. Having said that I think your rope and bones on that staff are too similar is colors (base, shading and highlights) so it's really hard for me to tell what that part of the miniature are as they blend into one crazy looking object for me.

Also the blending on said rope, and the shoes, are too non-existent for me. Looks like they both go, especially the feet, from straight shade to highlight with no inbetween.

Anything else is really more "you don't paint like me! RAWRRR!!" then actual critique.

@monkeysloth

New: Current Contest and Active Ribbon list | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users