Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
72moonglum

Female Centaur archer

14 posts in this topic

Hi all,

here's my lastest venture, a female centaur archer from the glorious Ral Partha eighties. Another old classic from Julie Guthrie, it's taken me a while to finish as we've been working on a lot of other things at home, but now back into the painting mode again. Hope you like!

Mark

post-1758-0-00908200-1350951599.jpg

post-1758-0-34692200-1350951608.jpg

post-1758-0-29154200-1350951619.jpg

20 people like this

Oooh, she's fantastic. I love your color choices. The white is really well done.

Given the scale creep since then, what size base is she on? I imagine she might be a halfling/pony centaur by today's scale standards?

1 person likes this

That's many multiples better than the painted job used in the RP catalog.

3 people like this

Interesting use of muted colours. Works quite well. Very nice!

Nice work! I really like the skin and the horse body. Also like that the human hair and the horse's tail and the bits around the hooves are the same color.

Hey that's nice... Love the base work the most... The creamy color of her "horse half" is really nice. Like butta.

Cool stuff.

SK

Thanks guys for all the nice comments! I tried to keep the colors natural, earthy tones and I wanted to make sure she looked really tan because she's galloping around outside all day long basically. I did want also a slightly different color than the typical brown for her horsey parts.

The base is one of the Warmachine 50 mm bases. For being an old Julie Guthrie Ral Partha figure, she's actually surprisingly large, not gargantuan, but this seems to have been the best base to fit her on.

I've also got the other old Julie Guthrie female centaur, the frolicky, naked one, but I just can't seem to find her for whatever reason. I've got her primed and on a base when I do finally hunt her down, and I've got the male companions to the female ones. The only problem is my male frolicking centaur has a smashed nose, so would probably have to whip out the green stuff to do a bit of repair work first.

It's a really nice example of a limited palette. The range of colors is small, but they are used with sensitivity and intelligence.

Thanks Pingo! It's not that often that I'm described as sensitive AND intelligent in the same sentence. Actually, never....

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Silvervane
      As typical to form, I managed to get some painting time in finally.  Rather than work on something I've already started, I started something new.  My new project is Magister from the Forgotten Realms Ral Partha Set that I started a while ago.  I can link to my other painted works from this set to give people a feel for my progress over the last couple of years (if anyone is interested).  But for now I began with my usual 1st step in painting the face.  I also base coated the the rest of the skin (the little bit of it there is).  He has been primed and waiting on my desk longer than I thought he would.

Here is how he looks at the moment:

• By Pingo
      This is another PC for the campaign of "Exalted" set in White Wolf's World of Darkness that I am involved in.

The character is a Scottish mage from the Sons of Ether who is essentially a therapist for would-be reformed vampires and werewolves.  At the beginning of the game he Exalted as a Twilight-caste Solar.  (If this means nothing to you don't worry about it.)

The figure is Julie Guthrie's delightful "Benedict Baker", a highly versatile gentleman. 

There's a WIP thread here.

• By 72moonglum
      Hi guys,

So I just finished this figure this weekend.  This is a Hackmaster Female Gnome Illusionist from a line that was created for the Hackmaster Role Playing Game, but was recently acquired by Iron Wind Metals/Ral Partha.  It's a pretty nice little series of figures with an old school vibe and some interesting creatures.  This is the only one I really have at the moment and decided to paint her up. I painted a version of this figure a long time ago, but not too too long ago got  a hold of another copy. So here's the most recent version:

and here is my original version, which I painted probably almost ten years ago I'm guessing:

I'm kind of torn between the two. I think I like the color patterns all bright and such with the freehand ghosts, but at least from a painting aspect, even though not as colorful, the newer one I like probably a bit better.

Way back when I had the conception from the Monster Manual that gnomes were grey with white hair and while I have overcome that conception, I was still living in that state of mind when I painted her the first time.

Anyhow, there they are, enjoy!
    • By Rob Dean

I had some painting time at lunch this week, and didn't take anything special to the office to work on, so this is what I pulled out of what I already had stashed there.  These are old Ral Partha orcs, as recently put back into production as part of their 2015 Chaos Wars Kickstarter.  I'm trying to make a bit of a push to get those units on the table for demo games; my Ral Earth collection includes quite a few vintage units that are out of production, so I don't like to use them in rules demos...I feel like they ought be be done with available figures.

I used the same white/black/red colors on all the shields, hoping that gives a unified feel to the group, even though everyone gets his own unique shield.

• By Maledrakh
      I rediscovered this metal mini in one of my stored basement boxes the other day. I have no idea why I did not paint it back in the day. One quick paint job later:

02712: Eye Beast
      Reaper miniatures
      sculpted by Julie Guthrie
      white metal
      40mm base
  • Who's Online   33 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)