Sign in to follow this  

Female Centaur archer

Hi all,

here's my lastest venture, a female centaur archer from the glorious Ral Partha eighties. Another old classic from Julie Guthrie, it's taken me a while to finish as we've been working on a lot of other things at home, but now back into the painting mode again. Hope you like!

• Like 20

Oooh, she's fantastic. I love your color choices. The white is really well done.

Given the scale creep since then, what size base is she on? I imagine she might be a halfling/pony centaur by today's scale standards?

• Like 1

Nice work! I really like the skin and the horse body. Also like that the human hair and the horse's tail and the bits around the hooves are the same color.

Thanks guys for all the nice comments! I tried to keep the colors natural, earthy tones and I wanted to make sure she looked really tan because she's galloping around outside all day long basically. I did want also a slightly different color than the typical brown for her horsey parts.

The base is one of the Warmachine 50 mm bases. For being an old Julie Guthrie Ral Partha figure, she's actually surprisingly large, not gargantuan, but this seems to have been the best base to fit her on.

I've also got the other old Julie Guthrie female centaur, the frolicky, naked one, but I just can't seem to find her for whatever reason. I've got her primed and on a base when I do finally hunt her down, and I've got the male companions to the female ones. The only problem is my male frolicking centaur has a smashed nose, so would probably have to whip out the green stuff to do a bit of repair work first.

It's a really nice example of a limited palette. The range of colors is small, but they are used with sensitivity and intelligence.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sophie was taken
      The third and final mini from the Layer Up! LTPK, Julie Guthrie’s Hajad the Pirate:

Not gonna try for any better images, because then you would see how badly I messed up the eyes...
      Mostly by the book, but I skipped the lining as my little brush was becoming temperamental. Of the three minis in this kit, this is the one I was most looking forward to, as it has the most exposed skin of the three (one of my problem areas). Think I oversold the abs a bit too much though.
      Based on issues with the previous minis, I elected to basecoat both weapon blades with Ebony Flesh before applying the metallic. The Filigree Silver included in the kit was too watery to play nice with bare Bonesium, and in any case it was difficult for me to see where the paint actually stuck. Plus, it makes lighter metallics pop.
      It was nice to see darker flesh tones included in this kit. The darkest (non-dark elf) skin tone I had available before was Tanned Skin, but my attempts to mix in darker paints always resulted in a weird shade of sadness.
      All in all, this kit was a good learning experience. The instructions were clear and easy to follow, and it was neat seeing the colors build up with each layer. The cartoons were cute too. I just hope that my technique improves moving forward. And that painting eyes gets easier.
    • By Schirf
      Overall pretty happy with how he turned out. 
      Would love any feedback for improvement...

• By 72moonglum
      So I recently posted Rozmina, the Half-Orc Pirate from Derek Schubert.  Here is the other half-orc I was working on at the same time, but as this one had a lot more going on with armor and such, he took quite a while longer.  

Really cool mini sculpted by Bob Olley around 2003, large figure, good heft to him.  the only frustrating part on this one was the chainmail and trying to get all the paint into all those little holes, and I can see some spots where it didn't work quite like I wanted it to.  Also what color would you guys call his metals that aren't "steel" colored?  Referring to the hilt, the belt buckle, and that heart looking thing protecting his manly parts?
    • By Mad Jack
       So, I was recently asked to curate a collection of old minis given to my FLGS on consignment... There are somewhere north of two hundred pieces altogether.
      Most of it is old Ral Partha, Grenadier, Heritage and Citadel. The first three companies I know well. Citadel not so much, but I've already identified some of them from the Lost Minis Wiki. And then there are some that I don't recognize and have no marking on them.
      So I'll be posting pics in this thread over the next couple of days to see if anybody knows what they are.
       I'll also be editing the posts to update them as more things are identified. So eventually there will be a complete (ish) record of the entire collection.
       First up, we have some dwarves...
      EDIT:  In the first pic the first four are from Alternative Armies -  DH9-04 Dwarven Adventurer w/ Dagger, RM013 Auchan the Spiker, RM015 Colvin the Disturbed, and RM014 Luckburn the Iron Fist. The 5th one is Citadel FA-15, v2 and the last one is Asgard's DA7.v2 Dwarf King.
      In the second pic, the first figure is from Grenadier's 2008 Thieves box set - the Dwarf Thief. The second is a Citadel C06 Northern Dwarves pirate. The third is from Metal Magic's C1008 Dwarves set and the last is Grenadier's 1129 Dwarf Flamethrower.
       I'll be posting more as I come across things I can't find myself...
    • By Metalchaos
      Here's 01572, Maddie the Chibi Gorgon (Medusa), Special Edition Bonesylvanian Figure sculpted by Julie Guthrie.

• Who's Online   29 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)