Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
72moonglum

Female Centaur archer

14 posts in this topic

Hi all,

here's my lastest venture, a female centaur archer from the glorious Ral Partha eighties. Another old classic from Julie Guthrie, it's taken me a while to finish as we've been working on a lot of other things at home, but now back into the painting mode again. Hope you like!

Mark

post-1758-0-00908200-1350951599.jpg

post-1758-0-34692200-1350951608.jpg

post-1758-0-29154200-1350951619.jpg

20 people like this

Oooh, she's fantastic. I love your color choices. The white is really well done.

Given the scale creep since then, what size base is she on? I imagine she might be a halfling/pony centaur by today's scale standards?

1 person likes this

That's many multiples better than the painted job used in the RP catalog.

3 people like this

Interesting use of muted colours. Works quite well. Very nice!

Nice work! I really like the skin and the horse body. Also like that the human hair and the horse's tail and the bits around the hooves are the same color.

Hey that's nice... Love the base work the most... The creamy color of her "horse half" is really nice. Like butta.

Cool stuff.

SK

Thanks guys for all the nice comments! I tried to keep the colors natural, earthy tones and I wanted to make sure she looked really tan because she's galloping around outside all day long basically. I did want also a slightly different color than the typical brown for her horsey parts.

The base is one of the Warmachine 50 mm bases. For being an old Julie Guthrie Ral Partha figure, she's actually surprisingly large, not gargantuan, but this seems to have been the best base to fit her on.

I've also got the other old Julie Guthrie female centaur, the frolicky, naked one, but I just can't seem to find her for whatever reason. I've got her primed and on a base when I do finally hunt her down, and I've got the male companions to the female ones. The only problem is my male frolicking centaur has a smashed nose, so would probably have to whip out the green stuff to do a bit of repair work first.

It's a really nice example of a limited palette. The range of colors is small, but they are used with sensitivity and intelligence.

Thanks Pingo! It's not that often that I'm described as sensitive AND intelligent in the same sentence. Actually, never....

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By KruleBear
      Hajad is another sacrife to the toy box level painting (ie. ignore moldlines and any advanced techniques) in my quest to find the "right" zombie skin tone. This time based with 50/50 MSP Vampiric skin and VMC Basic Skin Tone. Covered with a wash of Army Painters blacker colored Dark Tone Ink. This is getting closer to what I want and might be right on with a wash using a brown ink like Strong Tone. I am going to find another sacrificial mini to try a 50/50 mix of the vampiric skin with VMV Dark Fleshwith a brown wash. I think that will give me the grey undead color I want ith enough caucasian skin to look like a fresher conversion to the zombie lifestyle. 

I like this model, so will need to look at getting him in metal at some time. For now this one will be used as a ghost pirate in a Hero Kids adventure with my four year old.

Thoughts and comments greatly appreciated. 

• By Guindyloo
      So I started working on this guy back in March, he was just basecoated with the pattern established (which was based on Rhonda Bender's beautiful example.) This afternoon I decided to pull him off of the Shelf of Shame and finish him up. 
      I should've gone a size up on the base. And as usual, my pictures are terrible but I'm tired. 

C&C always very welcome. 

• By Chaoswolf
      This is an old Ral Partha 3 stage character; high level Cleric. I've got both the low level, and mid level ones around here somewhere; I need to dig them out and paint them, too.

My usual tabletop paint job, I hope you like it.

• By Chaoswolf
      This is an old Ral Partha female fighter; she is part of a 2 figure set with a male figure dressed and armed in the same fashion. (He is still on the workbench awaiting a few finishing touches)

I hope you like her.

• By 72moonglum
      Hello all,
      so here are two figures I just finished recently from Ral Partha.
      The first one is from the Larry Elmore set Bones of the Past, I think sculpted by Jeff Grace, which was based off a painting Larry Elmore did I think perhaps for a book cover.  I tried to actually use the same color scheme on my mini as showed up in the painting, but I ended up changing up the belt because in the painting it was red and she already had red details and pants.

I did the other figure a wile back ago, the gal with the purse, loincloth and little else.  Here's the link to that one: 
      I think, that linked up okay.

Then here is another figure I did, Jee-Anna the armored warrior priest (ess) a figure sculpted by Jim Johnson quite a while back ago.  I really like this figure and wanted to give her just dark, blacks and greys, so hopefully with this color scheme I ended up getting what I wanted.  With the base, I ended up sculpting some more stones because it was one of those stone floor bases.

Anyway, hope you enjoy them!

• Who's Online   16 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)