Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By Sophie was taken
Had an extra one of these lying about, and decided to experiment with a limited palette. Here’s how she turned out:
Main colors used were MSP Woodland Brown, Brilliant Green, Scholar Flesh, and Yellowed Bone (and it’s triad).
Not completely happy with her skin tones, I tried everything up to Moth Green trying to get a light tone that still read as green. Wound up using one of the darkest greens I have, go figure. Shaded by gradually dropping the flesh tone until it was straight green, but it turned out to be a rather extreme color shift.
I like how the base and tree trunk came out, however. The ground shade was achieved by throwing some blues and yellows together until they stopped being bad and then painting some gray on the rocks.
All in all, I think it turned out all right for just messing around. Definitely something to practice in the future. Comments, critiques, and suggestions appreciated.
By Sophie was taken
Painted (mostly) by-the-numbers, Anirion:
This was a departure from my normal style of painting, and I made a number of mistakes, but wanted to stick to the instructions and see how it all turned out. All things considered, I think it looks decent.
I didn’t worry about trying to correct the bend in the staff or any mold lines. And I added a third highlight layer (more yellow) to the robes, to make them pop just a bit more. The camera washed these out, it seems.
The little details probably deserved more attention, but the focus here was clearly on the robes. I think I did learn a few new things, hopefully for the better. More practice will help. Comments and critiques welcome.
So @Zink's thread here...
...inspired me to try my hand at creating an Elven catapult with Fusion 360 and my printer. Rather than hijack his thread anymore, it's time to create its own thread.
I'm not anywhere near done, but I went ahead and printed out a prototype of my design so I could get a better feel for things and tweak it. Here is Sir ForScale checking over the construction so far:
I'm glad I decided to print out a prototype now. I found that my tolerances are too tight for some of the assembly, and that I need to fix how the center piece goes in.
I could probably merge it all into one piece, and print it as a single piece, or maybe two, but I am trying to keep the pieces fairly flat so that it can be mailed in an envelope.
Trying to figure out what elven looking wheels without spokes would look like, as I think spoked wheels might be too delicate to print at this size
This was my favorite project of 2017 due to how much I pushed my abilities in creating it. It was my first major conversion of this sort, first time doing texture, first major use of OSL, and first Sci Fi base built fully from scratch. So lots of firsts with this one. Those of you who followed my WIP thread know what I went through with this one; the OSL dilemma, redoing the base, and sculpting new hands at the last minute. In all I am proud that I stepped out of my comfort zone and I cannot give enough thanks to those who posted in the WIP thread, your encouragement gave me the push that I needed.
So this conversion is the result of critique I received at ReaperCon 2016 regarding my Open entry, it was to up the difficulty of my conversions. When I got home I went through the Reaper web store and found minis that I call "blank slates", ones that I felt would be a good base for multiple conversions. I found a few that sparked an idea but the one that I got stuck on was Anirion and how he would make the perfect Jedi. So he was the project I choose for my ReaperCon 2017 Open entry but I made myself focus on having fun with it and not worrying about it being perfect. When I was finished, I was extremely happy with the results but I knew that there were somethings that could be better. Knowing that, I was extremely surprised to find that I got a gold medal in Open and blown away when it was announced that I got the Open Silver Sophie. So again thank you to everyone who gave me feedback in the WIP thread.
WIP thread: Wizard of a Different Sort: Anirion Conversion
-Reshaped hood and sleeves
-Smoothed out cloak to remove border
-Removed staff and bag?
-Added light saber out of styrene and metal piece
-Added some strands of hair
Painted yesterday with LTPK: Layer Up bought with Xmas monies. Followed directions from booklet with the exception of the shirt sleeves. The guide has red sleeves. I went with Heather Blue, and shaded with a wash of 1p Dark Highlights/1p Ebony Flesh/5p water. Layering is a tough skill for me. Several adjustments of shade and base back and forth. I skipped the lining; too cartoony for me. Highlights came easier. (Also bought MSP Starter Set) Tried to shadow Anirion's face on the left more as it is deeper in his cowl. Not the effect I was looking for, but it's time to move on to another mini.
Paints: Reaper LTPK paints
Finish: Testor's Dullcoat
As per Reaper's suggestion: I did not primer the mini, but I will in the future. I did wash it thoroughly with a toothbrush in hot soapy water. If you look at the right bottom hem of the cloak on the pic of the back you can see a chip out of the paint. That was the fourth such chip I had to retouch. Mini was never dropped or scraped. The paints simple didn't bond well. (All Reaper paints)
Who's Online 9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)