Rocketpropelledgames

Rpg mini painting tournament Round 4

6 posts in this topic

Wow already about to start our fourth session, its going by so quickly. We would like to congratulate Tiffany Rogers for breaking the 300 point mark and earning herself a tier1 prize, following closely behind is themudhead, Richard Burge, Kristen Lyon, and David Jackson.

This next session we will be running a little differently. The deadline will be longer and the points will be much higher, this is a chance for anyone who has not taken the opportunity to participate to catch up drastically.

The next piece is to be a diorama, subject matter is open to anything you would like to do. The entire piece must be no smaller than that of a shoebox, but can be as large as you want to make it.

There is no cap to the points you can earn during this session, but here are some guidelines.

1. each small miniature will garnish an extra 10 points(smaller than 28mm human size)

2. each medium miniature will garnish 25 points (28 mm human size)

3 each large miniature will garnish 40 points ( 2-4 inches tall)

4 each epic miniature will garnish 70 points ( 5 inches or larger)

5 every feature that adds character to the overall piece will increase the final total by an additional 5%, this can add up quickly if you make something totally epic.

The cutoff is November 22 at midnight Pacific Standard Time, good luck everybody and show us what ya got

Post submissions here or send them to [email protected]

See below for further rules and explanations

Competition Rules:

The contest will be running continuously from now until the kickstarter launch.

There is no fee for entry, all that is required is your name and email address, later on after the kickstarter you will be sent a email asking for your address and any other pertinent information.

Prizes will include terrain , bases and other items from the kickstarter campaign.

Submissions must be painted by you and fit the current theme

You many submit more than one entry, however only one will be judged during any given session.

A session last from the time you are given a theme until the time you are awarded your points for the entry at the next issue release. The exact dates will be indicated in each issue in the allocated location at the end of these rules along with the new theme.

Limit your submission to 5 or less images, with at least 1 front view, and 1 back view.

All submissions should be made through a direct Facebook message or sent to us through email at [email protected] , or be posted in this thread

Whomever has the highest scoring miniature for the session will receive a spot in the featured column and as our Facebook cover photo for their mini.

Criteria for judging includes:

Craftsmanship , how good you mini looks when all is said and done, accounts for 50% of your points for the session.

Creativity, we want to see the best you can do, make your pieces interesting, nobody is going to judge you, except for maybe the judges, but that’s our job, the majority of creativity takes place in the base, but modifying minis also works to this advantage, just be sure to include a photo of the unmodified mini when you submit. This accounts for an additional 50% of your points for the session.

Theme modifier , if your submission obviously fits the theme you will be awarded an additional 10% to the total points earned for the session, if your submission does not somehow fall into the initial theme, you will only be eligible for half of the total points for the session.

Each session you are eligible for 100 points, 110 if you count the theme modifier. At the end of each session your points will be added up and your progress will be shown.

Surprise us with something truly spectacular and you may be awarded some bonus points.

There are quite a few different tiers for prizes, based on the amount of points you accrue , as points are earned new tiers will unlock showing how many points you need to get to the next tier, and the approximate value of the prize for that tier.

Once you have reached a tier you are eligible for a prize, keep painting minis to make the prizes better.

okay one quick question. do we take a pic of the full diorama before we paint it, or do you want each individual piece of the diorama to have its own pic? You know just to be sure that we are really painting these for the contest and not using already painted models. With no point cap and each mini garnishing points this would really be a tremendous undertaking. In any case though "Challenge Accepted."

Wow, a shoe box? That's crazy huge for this hobby. If this was something that went till the end of the year I'd consider it but getting something that size done in 4 weeks isn't something I could do.

1 person likes this

Yes include pictures of every miniature unpainted and painted and the diorama in stages. Since there is literally an unlimited potential for points, this is the reason we are limiting the time frame to a month. Some shoeboxes are actually quite small, like for toddler shoes for example. The entire surface area counts towards this size, it's not only the pieces foot print. The miniatures used count towards this as well

post-7700-0-77601300-1351277739.jpg

How many people are working on the diorama for the contest this month? And how many of you would like an extension of the deadline?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By NomadZeke
      Blah, can't win lately. Con, sick, travel, travel, drama....sorry I'm late y'all.

Please see the main post here for rules, questions and general chatter, while using this thread to keep a list of links to your show-offs or show-off related comments in a single post: A reminder to please adhere to miniatures posting guidelines as usual.
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/72577-resolutionary-painting-challenge-2017-chatterquestions/
      All the information you need should be here.

Due to the revised format, there will be more than one bonus challenge available for this month. Including a "Hard mode" which Is some combination that may or may not have a source behind it.

Your challenge is: 8!

Bonus Challenge: The First!
      September 25th is national comic book day! Paint a mini to resemble a comic book character of your choice (Bonus points* for any from the "League of regrettable superheroes/supervillains"

Bonus Challenge: The Second!
      3 Families of color only. The 'typical' halloween colors of orange, purple, and black. You can only use colors that have "orange" "purple" or "black" as part of their names, and all 3 colors must be present on the figure.

Hard Mode Challenge!
      Modify a mini (besides the gelatinous cube/large fire elemental) to have an actual flickering light-source inside of it (with the battery concealed somehow), like a jack-o-lantern. The more creative the better, obviously.

Good luck

*The game is made up and the points don't matter
    • By SamuraiJack

About this project
      They say there have been eight worlds before ours. Eight times the people of this Earth, over vast millennia, built their civilizations, reaching heights we cannot even fully imagine now. They spoke to the stars, reshaped the creatures of the world, and mastered form and essence. They built cities and machines that have since crumbled to dust, leaving only their barest remnants.
      This is the Ninth World. The people of the prior worlds are gone—scattered, disappeared, or transcended. But their works remain, in the places and devices that still contain some germ of their original function. Some call these magic, but the wise know that these are our legacy. They are our future. They are the...
      Set a billion years in our future, Numenera is a tabletop roleplaying game about exploration and discovery. The people of the Ninth World suffer through a dark age, an era of isolation and struggle in the shadow of the ancient wonders crafted by advanced civilizations now millennia gone. But discovery awaits for those brave enough to seek out the works of the prior worlds. Those who uncover and master the numenera can unlock the powers and abilities of the ancients, and bring new light to a struggling world.
      The original Numenera RPG was launched via a 2012 Kickstarter campaign that shattered every record (at the time) for tabletop RPGs. The corebook has seen four printings, and Numenera is enjoyed by tens of thousands of gamers in an active global community. We have published over 60 supplements and accessories, and released a terrific starter set for new players. The Ninth World has spawned a critically-acclaimed hit computer game, board games, an excellent short film, a line of novels, and other licensed items, and Numenera has been translated into many languages including French, Spanish, Italian, Korean, German, and Portuguese.
      Numenera is a game in which player characters explore the ruins of aeons past to gather amazing treasures and help build a new future for a world struggling in darkness. Since the launch of Numenera in 2013, we have delivered well on the first part, but we’ve always wanted to do a more thorough job exploring that second part. That desire has led us to Numenera 2 and this Kickstarter campaign.
      Through this Kickstarter we’re going to replace the existing corebook with two new corebooks. The first is called Numenera Discovery and the second Numenera Destiny.
      Numenera Discovery will be a book that covers familiar territory; it is basically a revision of the original Numenera corebook. Next summer, we will allow the original corebook to go out of print, and Numenera Discovery will take its place. In Numenera Discovery, you’ll get some revisions to make things clearer and more fun, and to increase the options available to players. Nanos, Jacks, and Glaives will get an overhaul. Many foci and some of the descriptors might see some reworking. You’ll have more options, clearer rules, and perhaps a bit of expansion to the regions of the Steadfast and the Beyond that are covered in the existing corebook.

But Numenera Discovery is not a new edition. We will make virtually no changes to the way the game plays mechanically—and none of those changes affect the way NPCs, creatures, or items like cyphers or artifacts work. We also won’t be making changes to the setting. So if you already play Numenera, your bestiaries, adventures, card decks, character portfolios, and books like Into the Night, Technology Compendium, and Jade Colossus will not be affected by these changes. We will not issue any “second editions” of the existing supporting titles—and if you choose not to get Numenera Discovery, future Numenera supplements will work fine with your existing Numenera corebook. Your ongoing campaign will flow smoothly through the change in corebooks. You will even be able to mix existing characters with those from Numenera Discovery into your game. In fact, the game can be played with both the existing corebook and Numenera Discovery in use at the same game table!
      (One small exception: Numenera Character Options and Numenera Character Options 2 will remain compatible, but will become substantially less relevant following the improvements to characters in Numenera Discovery. We will retire those titles.)
      As excited as we are about Numenera Discovery, we may be even more excited about Numenera Destiny. This title will enable characters to truly become a part of the setting—to help shape the future of the Ninth World. The people of the Ninth World are locked in a medieval-like state, a world of struggle and danger and often suffering in the shadow of the prior worlds’ wonders. Numenera Destiny allows you to build adventures and campaigns in which players don’t just explore the wonders of the past—they utilize them to help lift the Ninth World out of darkness.
      You can make the world a better place. Help a community defend itself from abhumans or the iron wind. Create centers of learning or trade. Innovate, build, and protect. Manage an entire community and help it prosper and grow—or simply create a cool base or vehicle for your adventuring group. Numenera Destiny will allow you to take what you discover and make your mark on history as someone who elevated the Ninth World into the future.
      Adventuring—exploring the weird and wondrous remnants of the prior worlds—remains, of course, at the core of Numenera play. Numenera Destiny will give you new things to do with your discoveries, along with entirely new and epic ways to structure your campaigns. You’ll discover materials, power sources, and treasures that you can utilize in an entirely new, robust crafting and building system. And perhaps best of all, Numenera Destiny will offer three new character types and a number of new descriptors and foci geared toward this innovative style of play.
    • By Chrom.xh
      Hello every body, this will be here not to show off anything amazing or impressive. Just something that took me five and a half hours to do. Nothing to impressive or anything like that. Its a fairly simple paint job for this old miniature. It has been sitting on my portable painting desk for many years now, and I felt like it was time to finally paint it. So I could use it in Dungeons and Dragons if I ever played a Dwarf again or just to use in anything with Dwarves in it really. With the new system of being able to upload photos straight to here from a device, it may be a little weird. I have never used the new Reaper system for photos so lets see how it works. I will still be explaining everything to the best of my ability. All of the paints i used besides one were all Reaper Paints. So, lets get started.

Okay, so these four photos are of the Dwarf miniature as a whole. I had to paint over the entire mini with black because it had taken some damage to the prime that covers it. After i had painted the entire thing I let it dry and took the pictures so I wouldn't forget to take them.

Next I painted on the metallic colors that i knew i was going to do and I could see. This included the small amount of Chain mail showing under his massive beard, the large Warhammer and his shiled. These were done first in Shadowed Steel. Then I did the few detail pieces that I wanted in Antique Gold. After I painted those few things I realized that I hadn't painted the Rune Stone he is standing on. So I quickly mixed up a wash of the color... well Stone. I forget who the Stone wash is made by but I added some water and I think Glaze Medium. Chaoshead will yell at me in the comments to tell me i'm wrong since i was using most of his paints. Anyways, I did a couple of coats of the Stone wash and moved on to let that dry for a while.

While I was letting the Stone wash dry I went on to other colors. I pulled the Rainy Grey out to do the fur that lines the inside of his cape, not realizing I had missed some it will show up later. This step was fairly easy when I was painting it on, but then again the entire thing to me seemed easy and I don't really know why.

After the inside of the cape i moved on wards and started to paint Leather. I used Ruddy Leather for anything leather on the Miniature. I started with the gloves then moved on afterwards.

Alright, in these few photos I painted more leather onto his sleeves, belt pouch, boots and the bottom of his Chain mail shirt. This step frustrated me because I accidentally painted over some of the metal, so I had to go back and paint the metallics again. I then moved on to some detail work that may have taken the most time to do... I think.

On the Rune Stone, I used Breonne Blue to add some color to the... Stone. XD I wanted to paint the runes from the beginning of this small project. I think the Breonne was a good choice for the runes in the first place.

Here I had finally painted his massive beard. I used Mahogany Brown for his beard since it was the only one within my small amount of paints that would work. I liked my choice of color for his beard though.

In these three i painted the trim of the cape with the Ruddy Leather. I painted it very carefully to make sure I didn't get any on anything else. I already had to repaint Metallic colors earlier and i didn't want to do it again.

Continuing with the cape i painted it Leaf Green and had to do it a couple of times to make sure it was one solid color.

Painted the face with Tanned Skin and then used Grass Green to paint his eyes. Again this is all just a super simple paint job for this mini and is just meant to be a good, fun, little thing I like to do.

As a final thing to finish this Miniature off was a nice little touch that I thought of last second. I painted the small heart on his cape with Blood Red. 

The Dwarf is done! He is done in all of the simplest ways to paint that I know how. XD If you all enjoyed and have some tips or anything to leave for myself. Please leave a comment and i guess stay tuned to here or another one I post in the future.
    • By Ottolla
      Edit: AH this forum is so unlike what I'm use to I have no idea how to format this sorry!
      Double edit: All my text is in the pictures what is this forum even help im drowning in quotes and i dont know how to get rid of them

So! I just started painting, like... a week ago at most? After a trip to the game store to buy spell cards for our campaigns (4, each with a different dm, of player levels levels 3,1,1,1) we noticed and decided to invest in minis.
      Since I'm DMing two games (one with players who are not coming back, so likely a dead game, and one thats ongoing) and I'm the crafty one, I'm the most excited, and the one doing the actual painting.

I wanted to try out different tequniques on the goblins, so they all look kinda different. I did basecoats on five of them, two black, three brown, and then I painted on with no base (and found that, so far, thats my favorite meathod) 
    • By Sushiroll
      Hey all, I looked for a thread about this but didn't see one. Anyway, what do people prefer to paint, metal or plastic minis? I just started painting and have only done plastic. I've seen pictures of some metal ones and they seem to have crisper details. I see they offer both options for a lot of minis on the reaper store, wanted to see what people think? Thanks!
  • Who's Online   36 Members, 4 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)