Rocketpropelledgames

Rpg mini painting tournament Round 4

6 posts in this topic

Wow already about to start our fourth session, its going by so quickly. We would like to congratulate Tiffany Rogers for breaking the 300 point mark and earning herself a tier1 prize, following closely behind is themudhead, Richard Burge, Kristen Lyon, and David Jackson.

This next session we will be running a little differently. The deadline will be longer and the points will be much higher, this is a chance for anyone who has not taken the opportunity to participate to catch up drastically.

The next piece is to be a diorama, subject matter is open to anything you would like to do. The entire piece must be no smaller than that of a shoebox, but can be as large as you want to make it.

There is no cap to the points you can earn during this session, but here are some guidelines.

1. each small miniature will garnish an extra 10 points(smaller than 28mm human size)

2. each medium miniature will garnish 25 points (28 mm human size)

3 each large miniature will garnish 40 points ( 2-4 inches tall)

4 each epic miniature will garnish 70 points ( 5 inches or larger)

5 every feature that adds character to the overall piece will increase the final total by an additional 5%, this can add up quickly if you make something totally epic.

The cutoff is November 22 at midnight Pacific Standard Time, good luck everybody and show us what ya got

Post submissions here or send them to Rocketpropelledgames@yahoo.com

See below for further rules and explanations

Competition Rules:

The contest will be running continuously from now until the kickstarter launch.

There is no fee for entry, all that is required is your name and email address, later on after the kickstarter you will be sent a email asking for your address and any other pertinent information.

Prizes will include terrain , bases and other items from the kickstarter campaign.

Submissions must be painted by you and fit the current theme

You many submit more than one entry, however only one will be judged during any given session.

A session last from the time you are given a theme until the time you are awarded your points for the entry at the next issue release. The exact dates will be indicated in each issue in the allocated location at the end of these rules along with the new theme.

Limit your submission to 5 or less images, with at least 1 front view, and 1 back view.

All submissions should be made through a direct Facebook message or sent to us through email at rocketpropelledgames@yahoo.com , or be posted in this thread

Whomever has the highest scoring miniature for the session will receive a spot in the featured column and as our Facebook cover photo for their mini.

Criteria for judging includes:

Craftsmanship , how good you mini looks when all is said and done, accounts for 50% of your points for the session.

Creativity, we want to see the best you can do, make your pieces interesting, nobody is going to judge you, except for maybe the judges, but that’s our job, the majority of creativity takes place in the base, but modifying minis also works to this advantage, just be sure to include a photo of the unmodified mini when you submit. This accounts for an additional 50% of your points for the session.

Theme modifier , if your submission obviously fits the theme you will be awarded an additional 10% to the total points earned for the session, if your submission does not somehow fall into the initial theme, you will only be eligible for half of the total points for the session.

Each session you are eligible for 100 points, 110 if you count the theme modifier. At the end of each session your points will be added up and your progress will be shown.

Surprise us with something truly spectacular and you may be awarded some bonus points.

There are quite a few different tiers for prizes, based on the amount of points you accrue , as points are earned new tiers will unlock showing how many points you need to get to the next tier, and the approximate value of the prize for that tier.

Once you have reached a tier you are eligible for a prize, keep painting minis to make the prizes better.

okay one quick question. do we take a pic of the full diorama before we paint it, or do you want each individual piece of the diorama to have its own pic? You know just to be sure that we are really painting these for the contest and not using already painted models. With no point cap and each mini garnishing points this would really be a tremendous undertaking. In any case though "Challenge Accepted."

Wow, a shoe box? That's crazy huge for this hobby. If this was something that went till the end of the year I'd consider it but getting something that size done in 4 weeks isn't something I could do.

1 person likes this

Yes include pictures of every miniature unpainted and painted and the diorama in stages. Since there is literally an unlimited potential for points, this is the reason we are limiting the time frame to a month. Some shoeboxes are actually quite small, like for toddler shoes for example. The entire surface area counts towards this size, it's not only the pieces foot print. The miniatures used count towards this as well

post-7700-0-77601300-1351277739.jpg

How many people are working on the diorama for the contest this month? And how many of you would like an extension of the deadline?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 3xoterricDesigns
      Hi nerds, this is my first Kickstarter. Gotta take care of my gamer nerds yeah? There's inserts for minis, favorite dice, and dice jail. The slots are specifically sized to handle Magic cards with sleeves too.
      What do you think? I need all the sharing I can get folks.

Kickstarter link
      Twitter: @3xoterricDesigns

• By Matbar
      So this mini has been passed along through 3 people before getting to my husband who said only "I think it's a RalPartha ogre."  I've found nothing in my attempts to identify it.  Unfortunately it was already black primered, so the pictures aren't grand.  There appears to be 2 rats on (or coming out of?) it's back, and there's a fish hanging off the belt in the back.  Anybody have a clue on this guy? 

• By heruca
      Hi folks. I am creating cross-platform map-making software (for Windows and macOS), suitable for creating both print-resolution maps and lower-resolution maps suitable for use with virtual tabletop software. It's called MapForge, and it will be sort of a spiritual successor to Dundjinni, but with a greater focus on stitching maps together from pre-existing map tiles and then customizing the resulting map (with additional decorations, etc.) to suit the GM's particular needs.

MapForge should appeal to GMs of face-to-face game sessions and to those using any VTT software, who want to create their own slick-looking battlemaps to visually enrich their RPG sessions (in any genre), but who find existing mapping programs (including image-editing tools such as Gimp and Photoshop) too intimidating/confusing/expensive.

I am currently running a Kickstarter campaign to fund the program's development. The software will be priced to be very accessible/affordable, probably $30 or so, but it's just $27 during the Kickstarter campaign. And to help offset the cost even more, there will be at least 9 free content Add-Ons for it, covering various genres. MapForge will also offer a free level of use, so having a license won't be required to make maps with it.
      Version 1.0 of MapForge should be ready to go on sale in July 2017. Shortly after that, MapForge will also have the ability to generate random "dungeon" layouts via Donjon.

I hope you will all take a minute to check out the project, play around with the downloadable prototype, and if you like what you see, tell your GM friends about it.

Thanks!
      --Hernan (aka Heruca)

PS: The campaign funded on day 1, and is now at 475% of the funding goal, with ~1330 backers and 9 days to go. All the Stretch Goals have already been unlocked.
    • By Joma
      I'm new to this hobby, spent too much money buying my first pack of minis ((got the Hordes Krielstone bearer and stone scribe 4 set)  because I hadn't come across the Reaper Bones at that point) and this is my fifth miniature I've painted. I wanted to paint a half orc barbarian sort of character in case I wanted to try playing D&D on Roll20 or something (im a bit shy, so an in person kind of D&D thing is a bit of a stretch). Welp, here is my uh.. 3/4 orc barbarian :)

• By NomadZeke
      [MOD]Please use the full SKU and name of Reaper minis in the titles of your Show Off threads, per forum guidelines. You can find this information on the blister card or in the online store. I also like to give credit to the sculptor in a tag, so people can find their favorites.

We have a high volume of posts generated from this challenge, which is great! But it's also creating a lot of work for the mods. Ladystorm has already urged folks to comply with these guidelines.[/MOD]

Important Change!
      As an experiment, this project has been moved to be a bi-monthly challenge. The longer time frame theoretically will give less stress to painting, and allow more complex jobs, and more sinister challenges.

FAQ
      Reaper only? - No.
      If going on vacation, can I paint a mini(s) ahead to cover that time frame? - Yes.
      Are speed paints acceptable - Yes.
      Can it be a mini started previously? - Yes.
      Based or unbased? - Yes.
      Do minis for exchanges count? - Yes.

NEW RULE - Size Equivilancy
      (This list is subject to change as bones 3 releases)
      Medium and smaller = 1 ea
      Simple Terrain (plain floors, walls) = 1ea
      Complex Terrain (http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Terrain/latest/03518 or such) = 2 ea
      Large (Giants and the like) = 2 ea
      Huge (Most dragons, Demon Minotaur Lord, etc) = 3 ea
      Bigger (Kally, Khanjirra, etc) = half of quota – rounded up
      Colossal ("Tianot,") = quota

Due to the variable nature of a CAV I compare them against a generic 28mm figure and the Avatar large figure. I take height and bulk into considering if it is worth 1 or 2 figures.
      If it's not in this list, it counts as 1.
      Thunderbird
      Emperor
      Ronin
      Simba
      Tiamat
      Katana
      Tyrant
      Starhawk
      Regent
      Cataphract
      Silverback
      Kraken

If you have a question on the size, please post it here, and I'll address them individually.

Much like last year, the idea is to help those of us that normally paint VERY little, to start painting more.

You challenge begins...now!

And Our Mantra:

Participants:
      If your name is missing, or you believe your count is incorrect, please PM me. Please note: to make counts easier, you must post in the bi-monthly thread.

The objective:
      To paint 52+ minis throughout the course of the year via bi-monthly quota
      (each bi-monthly thread will have the quota listed as well as the master list)

What qualifies:
      Darn near anything!
      Reaper/non-reaper!
      Any material!
      Shelf of shame minis from ages long forgotten!
      Exchange minis!
      Speed paints!
      Armies! (Though I'd encourage perhaps something outside the army as well)
      Any Size!
      Based/unbased!
      Etc! (I think that covers everything)

Jan/Feb: 8: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/72633-january-and-february-rpchallenge/
      March/April: 9: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/73560-march-and-april-rpchallenge/May/June: 9:

July/August: 9:
      Sept/Oct: 8:
      Nov/Dec: 9:

Again, I request that when tagging your posts, please use "RPChallenge" to help with locating minis from this.

Initial post from mobile hoping it won't train wreck
  • Who's Online   26 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)