• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 cthulhudarren

cthulhudarren

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 671 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

Recently I bought my first bones minis and immediately had no idea what colors to paint them. Since all the packages look the same except for the top in the front, has Reaper considered perhaps having a sticker of some sort that shows some example paints (with names and stock numbers) for the mini in the package? They could just slap em on the packages, perhaps helping them sell some paints and helping clueless folks like me pick some colors.

Thanks.

#2 Last Knight

Last Knight

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Bones Supporter
  • 3684 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

I'm not sure this would really be cost efficient for Reaper, honestly. Their Bones packaging is a marvel of efficiency. ::):

Which ones did ya get? You can always ask around here, or look for painted examples online.
  • CashWiley likes this
Happiness is just a word to me
And it might have meant a thing or two
If I'd known the difference
Emptiness, a lonely parody
And my life, another smokin' gun
A sign of my indifference...

-Seatbelts, "Gotta Knock A Little Harder"

I pretty much agree with everything that Last Knight said.

#3 Goblyn

Goblyn

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 733 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

http://www.reapermin...pirationGallery

http://www.reapermin...rum/4-show-off/

#4 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Cybermonkey Wrangler

• Bones Supporter
  • 9300 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

I'm not sure this would really be cost efficient for Reaper, honestly. Their Bones packaging is a marvel of efficiency. ::):

Which ones did ya get? You can always ask around here, or look for painted examples online.

Actually, I have a 02658: Stone Lurker that came with a color-printed card inside the blister showing a finished example. I've never seen this before or since, just that one time. Never even heard mention of it. I'll see if I can dig up the card, I should still have it somewhere.

As I recall, the painted example on the card is not one of the two painted illustrations shown in the store.

Current Bones Count:  Total:  awaiting recount  Painted:  132

#5 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1928 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

As Goblyn posted the links already, I'll just reemphasize, it's all about the inspiration gallery my friend!

#6 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2237 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

Actually, I have a 02658: Stone Lurker that came with a color-printed card inside the blister showing a finished example. I've never seen this before or since, just that one time. Never even heard mention of it. I'll see if I can dig up the card, I should still have it somewhere.

As I recall, the painted example on the card is not one of the two painted illustrations shown in the store.

Most if not all of the Reaper Master Series Models have a card with a sample image on them, but those models cost moneis as oppsed to the Bones.

2014 Painting Goal: 6 Figures/ 36 Painted as of 01/22/2014

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

#7 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Cybermonkey Wrangler

• Bones Supporter
  • 9300 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

Most if not all of the Reaper Master Series Models have a card with a sample image on them, but those models cost moneis as oppsed to the Bones.

Yeah, but this was just a regular DHL one.

#8 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2237 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

Yup it happened back in the day. Now we are left to our own devices. :down:

2014 Painting Goal: 6 Figures/ 36 Painted as of 01/22/2014

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

#9 morari

morari

Rabble Rouser

• Bones Supporter
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

I've always been a bit disappointed by this as well. Not just on Bones, but also on Dark Heaven. It's not so much that I'm unable to find an appropriate color scheme. It's more to do with accurately showing the miniature. A lot of times I find that the miniatures have shifted in the package and cannot be viewed from the front. This makes it very difficult to find something you like when simply window shopping. Likewise, it's hard to get a feeling of what the multi-piece miniatures should look like while they're behind plastic and on the sprue.
  • morari likes this

#10 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Cybermonkey Wrangler

• Bones Supporter
  • 9300 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

Yup it happened back in the day. Now we are left to our own devices. :down:

How long ago was this? I think it came from MG, so it might have been an older blister pack, but I think I remember it being in the current packaging style.

But now I don't know, and this is the only mini I've ever seen with it.

Now I'm gonna have to go do some research.

#11 Wren

Wren

Godlike

• Artists
  • 1966 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

I think this kind of thing will become less of an issue over the next few years, as more people acquire smart phones/tablets and have the ability to look up a picture for inspiration or to better view misaligned package contents on the go. Given that, and the added expense of a card or sticker, and the fact that Reaper doesn't actually have painted examples of every one of their miniatures so there would also be the expense of acquiring those, and you end up with a request that is not unreasonable, but I think unlikely to happen.

#12 JackMann

JackMann

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1245 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

Possibly in the future, they can put QR codes on the boxes to take you to picture links.
  • TaleSpinner and MonkeySloth like this

#13 Pingo

Pingo

Godlike

• Members
  • 4471 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

The last time I was in my FLGS the clerk had a pad he was using to look up minis which were hanging on the wall right in front of him. It was just easier, and you could see the figure more clearly.

I've always been a tad farsighted anyway, and between that, minuscule monochrome minis, bright shadowless store lighting, and figures squoonched around in the packaging ...

Well, let's just say I have found Reaper's online store a godsend.

Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.
-- Terry Pratchett

"Any sufficiently advanced technology you don't understand is indistinguishable from magic you don't understand."
-- Richard Garfinkle

"All alternate histories produce zeppelins."
-- Ken Hite's Law

#14 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Cybermonkey Wrangler

• Bones Supporter
  • 9300 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

Hmm, maybe it was on a newer blister after all. I couldn't find a pic of a stone lurker with the card, but I found this dude:

Posted Image

#15 JackMann

JackMann

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1245 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I've seen that on some other large figures. Hill Giant, Red Dragon, and so forth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users