• Please log in to reply
771 replies to this topic

#1 bloodydrake

bloodydrake

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 882 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

I just got into painting boardgame miniatures in May of this year.I started withthe Dnd boardgames.(Drizzt and Ravenloft)
The Reaper kickstarter just springboarded me right into the deepend of this wonderful world of miniatures.

So while waiting for the Reaper Kickstarter minis to arrive I picked up a couple warlord starter armies boxes and most recently the new 2player Hordes battle box.
I've decided to tackle the Circle of Orboros first and bought a bunch of other mini's to go with the starter box army.
I've been slowly working on them but I'd love some feedback as I'm going.

I'm trying for an Autumn theme to the color scheme.

I figured I'd take the path of least resistance and start with Shifting Stones First.
So after painting dipping and basing this is what I ended up with.
Standing+Stones+zoom+small.jpg

Next Up I figured I'd work on the Druids of Orboros unit.
Alot of this has been a learning painting technique experience, base coating metal with black then dry brushing the metallic paint over for example. as well as dry brushing bronze over red on the Armour.
I've been using Army painter Quickshade Strong tone to dip my mini's. I try and leave the deep shading to the dip and with these figures progress from base coat painting to include highlights then dipping.
001.JPG

I've finished two of the six druids trying to use orange shades for the leather highlights and Green for the Black Cloak heres one pre dip

druid+ready+for+dipt.jpg
and heres the first two druids after i dipped them and dullcoated, one of them has the base finished,i'm working on second tonight.

starting+3rd+zoom.jpg

I started on the next one and wanted to try and get some more color into the model but the yellow face mask is bugging me..it might just be to bright..maybe a little brown and or yellow to tone it down.
Its just too stark but not sure what to do with it yet..will probably wokr around it for now.
starting+3rd.jpg
Welp thats a quick catch up to today.

Edited by bloodydrake, 04 November 2013 - 03:18 PM.

• gaultj, buglips*the*goblin, Metalchaos and 11 others like this

#2 Gailbraithe

Gailbraithe

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:16 AM

Oh man...dude, you are way, way too good to be using a dip. The undipped model you posted looked great! Its a shame you dipped them when all you really needed was to do some washes on the weapon.

#3 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 10167 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:07 AM

I actually think the dipped ones looked great, too. beautiful work, very neat, nice, focussed colour schemes... you are way better than i was when i started out, and possibly better than I am now!
  • bloodydrake and Last Knight like this

Naturally, he died because a wizard exploded.

#4 bloodydrake

bloodydrake

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 882 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:10 AM

I hear ya Qailbraithe,its all a learning process and a matter of timing.

The Quickshade has been enormously helpful and I've really been pleased with the results overall.
in June I painted the Ravenloft figures and was still just basically basecoating then. I think this is my favourite result from the Quickshade.
Right Before Dipping
Posted Image

After
Posted Image

I have been considering when I should take the training wheels off completely so to speak.But didn't feel I was ready yet.
These are the first non boardgame mini's I've worked on and the first metal ones,so I figured I'd try and get better at Layering and highlighting(started with Ashardalon figs)and try and progress to some blending before attempting to return to straight washes for shading.

I appreciate the feedback..its been in the back of my mind as well :)
  • buglips*the*goblin, badocter, Teskal and 8 others like this

#5 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2241 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:17 AM

If they aren't for Competition dip away. You'll knock out figures quickly. Oh they look great.
  • Frankthedm and Adrift like this

2014 Painting Goal: 6 Figures/ 36 Painted as of 01/22/2014

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

#6 Gailbraithe

Gailbraithe

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:29 AM

I have been considering when I should take the training wheels off completely so to speak.But didn't feel I was ready yet.

Dude, you've got better brush control than I do, and I wouldn't even think of using dips. You are ready, grasshopper.

#7 bloodydrake

bloodydrake

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 882 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:17 AM

If they aren't for Competition dip away. You'll knock out figures quickly. Oh they look great.

Thx

Everything so far is definitely meant for tabletop play..tho transportation is an issue for the metal ones...I ordered 2 figure cases from the kickstarter but those won't be here for a while

#8 bloodydrake

bloodydrake

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 882 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:22 AM

You are ready, grasshopper.

LOL maybe I'll try going back to pure wash's on a bones figure. I just got some 40mm bases in on Friday which I was waiting on to base the Bones Troll and Gnoll.
Im gonna finish this unit with the quickshade tho. for visual consistency at the very least.

#9 Last Knight

Last Knight

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Bones Supporter
  • 6621 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:57 AM

I don't see anything wrong with using dip for tabletop bound minis,and it's a helluva lot faster than individually washing.

Your Circle looks great, man, looking forward to seeing more.

Currently DMing Boldly Into Darkness Go: Down The Murder Hole.

@Last Knight
WHY DID YOU POST THAT?

LK is my hero!

#10 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1995 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:26 AM

It is all about what the individual painter wants, but I'd like to echo the sentiments of Gailbraithe and psyberwolfe1.

You have very good brush control, and could easily start moving yourself into more advanced techniques and working toward competition level painting. Getting there isn't easy, but it is very rewarding to begin moving toward those practices.

If you're just wanting to make figures for the tabletop, you're doing wonderful work and you'll be able to knock these out quickly.

#11 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• 7164 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:16 AM

Your dipping is working great! Good strong color schemes, great brush control. While I'd continue on as you are with the plastic boardgame minis, you are definitely ready to take the next step with hero type units and such. I'm excited to see your work in the future, very promising stuff.
The Wily Brush: Man vs Paint
Project Index
Proud member of Corporea's Corps, Mocha's Minions and Pixel's Posse
Former member of the CashWiley Fan Club
Posted Image

#12 bloodydrake

bloodydrake

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 882 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

spend some time working on the next druid today.

Posted Image

I mixed in some orange to the yellow facemask. I think it looks better then just yellow.
Not sure its working on its own but I think when flocked the yellow and orange in the leaves and clumps will tie it together....maybe..LOL or it will just stand out like it does now heh.

Cleaned up the gold and red on the armour and the green highlights on the black cloak.Started on the first layer of leather highlights..it seems to be coming together pretty good.
  • buglips*the*goblin likes this

#13 Jordan Peacock

Jordan Peacock

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 664 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

I'm all for using a dip to churn out figures quickly so they're playable. I do something similar with some base painting and a wash on some figures (my "zombie hordes") just so they won't be blank plastic or bare metal, reserving the right to go back later and do additional detail work as I find the time.

I really like the "fallen leaves" effect on those Circle Orboros figures, by the way. I tried something similar with some colored tissue paper and the smallest leaf-shaped scrapbooking paper-punch I could find, but the results are still too suspiciously large to look quite right for the scale.

#14 nytflyr

nytflyr

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1382 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

IMO there is no wrong way to paint, as long as you are happy with the results. That being said always try and push yourself more, you may be surprised what you will accomplish :)

EDIT: forgot to add... those minis look great

¤ª""˜¨¨¯¯¨¨˜""ª¤ª""˜¨¨¯¯¨¨˜""ª¤ª""˜¨¨¯¯¨¨˜""ª¤ª""˜¨¨¯¯¨¨˜""ª¤
Anything I paint that turns out better than tabletop is purely by accident!
Visit the Dirty 30s! - A sourcebook for Pulp RPGs... now with 10% More PULP!
Selling 30 years of gaming material, visit my eBay store!

Hirst Molds: 40, 45, 54, 55, 56, 60, 63, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 80, 84, 85, 86, 201, 203, 205, 235, 250, 260, 281, 282, 320, 321

#15 bloodydrake

bloodydrake

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 882 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

I really like the "fallen leaves" effect on those Circle Orboros figures, by the way. I tried something similar with some colored tissue paper and the smallest leaf-shaped scrapbooking paper-punch I could find, but the results are still too suspiciously large to look quite right for the scale.

I can't take credit for them. They're Secret Weapons Fall Leaves.
Posted Image

I've been using galeforce 9 Autumn 3 clumps and gluing down a few leaves in the foreground to attempt to create the illusion of them being more leafy then they are.
I really like the effect and I'm glad its working.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Privateer Press, Reaper LTPK, Flames of War, Bones

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users