Corporea

The maple tree

Definitely going to follow this one! My little girl wants to do a fairy garden, and I'm thinking we may do a live oak for her garden. I was going to attempt something like this along these lines (I've researched stop motion and armature building) but wasn't sure what I was doing. What gauge wire did you use? (Edit: Nevermind. I'm a dork. It's right there! 24...) Is there a benefit to using milliput over super sculpty or green stuff? Just curious! 

Thanks for the awesome tutorial!

Edited by Kharsin
  • Like 1

No problem!  I've got a lot on my plate right now, otherwise I'd try to make a few more different types of trees.  I like the milliput for this because it dries rock hard.  I've tried sculpey and greenstuff- the only one I wouldn't recommend would be the sculpey because it doesn't stick to the wire well.  I'd say if you want to use the sculpey- put a layer of something else underneath it.  Greenstuff tends to be a bit more flexible even after it dries.  But greenstuff and milliput both work great.  I just think of the milliput as being stronger when thinner.

here's the one I made from sculpey:

sculptree_zps1a996a60.jpg

Good luck and have fun!

• Like 7

I made a few wire trees too. Save your sculpting material and use strips of newspaper soaked in wood glue to wrap around the wire. You can still roughen the bark if you place the strips vertically. Doesn't help much for your sculpting skills but should save your milliput. Heh.

So I've checked both Michael's and Hobby Lobby.... No Milliput available locally. I'll have to order the stuff. I did manage to find everything else though.

So I've checked both Michael's and Hobby Lobby.... No Milliput available locally. I'll have to order the stuff. I did manage to find everything else though.

No I have yet to find milliput in a store locally I think I read somewhere it is more of a UK thing but Michaels DOES have sculpey and a WIDE array of FIMO in varying colors which is worth a shot

Oh yes, there was a TON of Sculpty and FIMO! I could be in Sculpty and FIMO up to my armpits! LOL! I was just following Corporea's suggestion about not using Sculpty as it tends to not stick to the armature wire. I wonder if it'd stick better if you primed the wire first... I do have a bit of greenstuff so I could try that. 

Hmmmm... I'll have to check. I've been in that area several times but haven't noticed it...

FYI, I did indeed find Milliput in the "secret hidden location" at Hobby Lobby. I shall start crafting our fairy garden live oak soon... Eventually... LOL!