Sign in to follow this  
Adrift

77009-Werewolf (my other Halloween entry)

Here's my entry for the scenic base part of the Halloween contest.

I opted to create a scene in which a werewolf is stalking amongst the soft muddy ground of a field of crops. He leaves only the faintest of impressions in the mud with his long claws. I wanted to give the impression that he's slowly bending down the grass (or crops) and is captured in the instant just as his body is rushing into motion, so I dangled the saliva at a slight angle to help with that impression.

I used green stuff on the base to try and create a muddy ground in appearance, and added the claw marks. I considered trying to get more extravagant with the impressions, but here in Georgia the red clay is pretty tough earth so I left it at his claw impressions.

I did the faintest streak of white across both his eyes which I painted black b/c I really wanted this guy to have the eyes of a killer. With all the werewolf/vampire (wuss) love stories in our culture today, my goal was to have a werewolf that looked like he meant business.

I also opted to paint his distal extremities a darker color than his fur b/c I saw a dog with that feature recently and really thought it looked cool.

I learned a lot painting this fellow, and think that my skin/fur tone and blending is finally getting to a place with which I'm happy.

post-7416-0-48374200-1351441281.jpg

post-7416-0-42039500-1351441287.jpg

post-7416-0-45242000-1351441292.jpg

post-7416-0-55780000-1351441297.jpg

• Like 13

The drool is a cool idea that I think nobody saw and the scenic base is very cool.

Very true! I missed it until you mentioned it. I was looking at his beautiful blending. Nice stark contrast. My favorite part is the tail.

• Like 1

It's because of results like this that I qualify my criticisms of Bones minis for painting. I personally don't like painting Bones, much prefer metal, but Adrift's werewolf and his previous Purple Worm do prove that it's possible to paint them up to a real nice look.

Funny thing is that even though I don't like Bones for painting - I buy a lot of them! Last order I bought 3 metal minis and 42 Bones. The White Horde of Unpaintopolis shall break open the dark gate and enslave all of Fantasy World #399875!!!

• Like 4

The drool is a cool idea that I think nobody saw and the scenic base is very cool.

Tch. . . You beat me to it. Still, Lycans. Handy in a fight, but you can't take them anywhere. . . .

Betimes, let me add my voice to the chorus in saying that the way he's brushing the grass out of the way 'makes' this model.

• Like 1

Tch. . . You beat me to it. Still, Lycans. Handy in a fight, but you can't take them anywhere. . . .

Betimes, let me add my voice to the chorus in saying that the way he's brushing the grass out of the way 'makes' this model.

Painting really is an evolution process; I wanted to do a piece that fit into the 'decorative base' competiton for the Halloween contest, but at the same time, I now think about the whole miniature painting process to include the 'scene' of the miniature. When I first started painting I didn't pay as much attention to the base as I do now. I think it's just a natural part of the artistic evoluation process, and I look forward to watching others make the journey as well.

• Like 1