Photo

77009-Werewolf (my other Halloween entry)

77009 werewolf Bones

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2033 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

Here's my entry for the scenic base part of the Halloween contest.

I opted to create a scene in which a werewolf is stalking amongst the soft muddy ground of a field of crops. He leaves only the faintest of impressions in the mud with his long claws. I wanted to give the impression that he's slowly bending down the grass (or crops) and is captured in the instant just as his body is rushing into motion, so I dangled the saliva at a slight angle to help with that impression.

I used green stuff on the base to try and create a muddy ground in appearance, and added the claw marks. I considered trying to get more extravagant with the impressions, but here in Georgia the red clay is pretty tough earth so I left it at his claw impressions.

I did the faintest streak of white across both his eyes which I painted black b/c I really wanted this guy to have the eyes of a killer. With all the werewolf/vampire (wuss) love stories in our culture today, my goal was to have a werewolf that looked like he meant business.

I also opted to paint his distal extremities a darker color than his fur b/c I saw a dog with that feature recently and really thought it looked cool.

I learned a lot painting this fellow, and think that my skin/fur tone and blending is finally getting to a place with which I'm happy.

Attached Thumbnails

• 77009-werewolf1.JPG
  • 77009-werewolf2.JPG
  • 77009-werewolf3.JPG
  • 77009-werewolf4.JPG

• buglips*the*goblin, Citrine, Metalchaos and 10 others like this

#2 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1199 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:22 AM

The bent grass is a good idea to help create movement.
It's true that the color blending looks very good, thumbs up.
  • Furongian and Adrift like this

#3 Corporea

Corporea

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2103 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

love the dynamic grass-crushing! clever idea!
  • Adrift likes this
oh, you mean I can put stuff here?  cool!  now to think of something...

#4 LiquidLimn

LiquidLimn

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

Another excellent piece. Thank you for sharing!
  • Adrift likes this

#5 Jordan Peacock

Jordan Peacock

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 670 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

I really love the way you've made it look like he's interacting with his environment and not merely striking an "action pose." :D
  • Adrift likes this

#6 Furongian

Furongian

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 266 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

Fantastic, and I agree; the werewolf pushing through the grass really adds dynamism to the model.
  • Adrift likes this

#7 Carnacki the Ghost Finder

Carnacki the Ghost Finder

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 672 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

A nice warm autumn color palette -- very seasonally appropriate! I actually didn't like this Bones until now. Great work!
  • Adrift likes this

A painted mini is better than an unpainted mini.

#8 Maglok

Maglok

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 833 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

Ha that is cool. Like he is sneaknig around in a farmer's lands. :) Thumbs up.
  • Adrift likes this

Glok's Grotto (A gaming blog that I seem to not get bored with!)

Bones kickstarter #1 count: 34

Stonehaven gnomes count: 6

Stoneheaven dwarfs count: 1

#9 jbarron2006

jbarron2006

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

The drool is a cool idea that I think nobody saw and the scenic base is very cool.
  • Adrift likes this

#10 LiquidLimn

LiquidLimn

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

The drool is a cool idea that I think nobody saw and the scenic base is very cool.

Very true! I missed it until you mentioned it. I was looking at his beautiful blending. Nice stark contrast. My favorite part is the tail.
  • Adrift likes this

#11 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2033 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

Thanks a lot everyone! ^_^

#12 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Forum Mascot
  • 11293 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

It's because of results like this that I qualify my criticisms of Bones minis for painting. I personally don't like painting Bones, much prefer metal, but Adrift's werewolf and his previous Purple Worm do prove that it's possible to paint them up to a real nice look.

Funny thing is that even though I don't like Bones for painting - I buy a lot of them! Last order I bought 3 metal minis and 42 Bones. The White Horde of Unpaintopolis shall break open the dark gate and enslave all of Fantasy World #399875!!!
  • Furongian, Adrift and Last Knight like this

I AM MASCOT NOW!

I AM MASCOT NOW!

I AM MASCOT NOW!

I AM MASCOT NOW!

I AM MASCOT NOW!

#13 Panzer_Engel

Panzer_Engel

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

Tch. . . You beat me to it. Still, Lycans. Handy in a fight, but you can't take them anywhere. . . .

Betimes, let me add my voice to the chorus in saying that the way he's brushing the grass out of the way 'makes' this model.
  • Adrift likes this
"Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein. . ."

#14 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2033 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

Tch. . . You beat me to it. Still, Lycans. Handy in a fight, but you can't take them anywhere. . . .

Betimes, let me add my voice to the chorus in saying that the way he's brushing the grass out of the way 'makes' this model.

Painting really is an evolution process; I wanted to do a piece that fit into the 'decorative base' competiton for the Halloween contest, but at the same time, I now think about the whole miniature painting process to include the 'scene' of the miniature. When I first started painting I didn't pay as much attention to the base as I do now. I think it's just a natural part of the artistic evoluation process, and I look forward to watching others make the journey as well.
  • CashWiley likes this

#15 Jordan Peacock

Jordan Peacock

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 670 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:13 PM

Heh. Thanks for pointing out the werewolf-drool! I totally missed that the first time around. :D Nice touch!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 77009, werewolf, Bones

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users