joshuaslater

Hurricane Sandy

Lots of rain, though it's pretty quiet right now. High winds last night, but nothing in the 60+ mph range, as the local weather pundits predicted.

But it's Pittsburgh, so schools have been cancelled or delayed, commerce has pretty well shut down and the few people driving are moving really slowly. Despite our status as top 5 US cities for precipitation in a year, native 'Burghers are terrified of a little damp.

I'm originally from eastern PA, so I've got lots of family and friends in the area. Everyone is ok, and most made it through without losing power. My parents have some flooding in their basement (not uncommon with any hard rain), and they lost some siding off the house. Certainly could have been worse.

~v

Didn't lose any trees this time around. Power is out at the moment. Lost it yesterday afternoon. I'vegot a gas grill with plenty of propane and a generator to run the important things; i.e. fridge, laptop and dsl modem. A man's got to have his priorities. And the number one priority is SWMBO's Farmville fix.

Didn't even lose power this time, except for it blipping in and out during the storm Monday night. On the other hand, it messed up my arthritis something fierce for the next two days...

And now I've got a respiratory infection, which may or may not be related, lol.

• Like 1

Just outside with the kids and noticed we lost some shingles on the corner. Good thing we are sunny and rain free for a few days so I can patch it.

Okay its 3am. Just outside is more like...took the kids out right before work. Saw it. Swore. Immediately checked weather. Sighed. Went to work.

• Like 1

My rental back in the 'burgh faired pretty well. Hoping and Praying that everyone else made/makes it through the aftermath ok. Usually the storms are bad, the aftermath is horrible......

I think I'm going to go live on a mountain. Just got power back on Sunday, 2 weeks with no electric or heat with a snowstorm tossed in, and some big trees down, but then again I can't complain, it could have been way worse. It's all very surreal. I'm down the road from Keyport & Union Beach which got really wrecked. Lots of childhood memories of places that are totally changed or gone now, this is the worst storm I've seen in NJ. My brother's girlfriend lives in Atlantic Highlands and had to evacuate, she had seawater 8 ft high in her house. Some places the houses are just gone or out submerged in the water. There are piles of boats in odd places that got tossed around from the various marinas. Alot of bad stories about people being trapped in cars trying to escape. Everyone please note, your car will stop functioning when driving in water (somehow people forget or don't think about this, thinking they can just drive through). And also turn everything off when you leave your house if you ever have to. And respect the ocean, it will win.

Also Thank You to anyone on here that is in the National Guard, works as volunteers, and anyone that helps out on emergency crews out of state. You have no idea how much your presence and efforts mean in emergency situations.

Hey we're glad the worst is over and my family and I are sending some prayer your way just to be safe.

Time to drop another five spot in the Red Cross Buckets.

Roger that, dude. I'm with ya.

Thank you for the kind thoughts everyone, the reaper folks are a really great community. Thanks also for the link Corporea, there are lots of organisations helping out. I've been going over with people from my church to help out over at the shelter setup at Holy Family school. It's a moving experience to see so many people from around the country that have come to help out.