278 replies to this topic

#1 Last Knight

Last Knight

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Bones Supporter
  • 6791 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

2012-10-25 16.57.12.jpg

BEGIN! We have here our two primed minis (and the four previous ones, from the last two L2PKs).

2012-10-29 13.51.26.jpg 2012-10-29 13.51.38.jpg

Skin tones! First coast is Tanned Shadow, to darken in those shadowy bits.

2012-10-29 14.52.41.jpg 2012-10-29 14.52.52.jpg

We follow this up with Tanned Skin, leaving plenty of Tanned Shadow in the crevasses and crevices.

2012-10-29 15.27.43.jpg 2012-10-29 15.32.12.jpg

Then we apply Tanned Highlight to the highlit... bits.

2012-10-29 15.27.43.jpg 2012-10-29 15.27.55.jpg

And then we water down Tanned Skin, to something below a wash, and attempt to glaze it on, evening out the shadows and the highlights a bit.2012-10-29 15.32.00.jpg 2012-10-29 15.32.12.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012-10-29 14.51.48.jpg

• buglips*the*goblin, evergrin, Adrift and 4 others like this

Currently DMing Boldly Into Darkness Go: Down The Murder Hole.

[img src="http://nanowrimo.org/widget/LiveSupporter/last-knight.png" /]

@Last Knight
WHY DID YOU POST THAT?

LK is my hero!

#2 ced1106

ced1106

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 948 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

So what are the differences beween LTPK2 and LTPK4? LTPK2 stops at shadows and highlights. LTPK4 adds glazing and what else?

Does LTPK4 give instructions for barbarian details (eg. fur)?

Or I'll just wait for the rest of the WIP. :D

Thanks for the thread!!!

#3 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Forum Mascot
  • 12326 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

I'll get in on this. Bertokk has been shined up and in a little bit will be ready for primer.

My LTPK4 covers triad skintones and lining (previously it was the first kit in the series to do lining). So now it's a lot like kit 2, but a more advanced version of it specifically using the master series triads. Or, in general, dark-to-light highlighting without washes.

My kit (which is several years old) does not include any instructions for any of the details except skin and lining. The new version may be different.
Powered by Frapp Fuel

#4 MiniPainterC

MiniPainterC

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

I'll get in on this. Bertokk has been shined up and in a little bit will be ready for primer.

My LTPK4 covers triad skintones and lining (previously it was the first kit in the series to do lining). So now it's a lot like kit 2, but a more advanced version of it specifically using the master series triads. Or, in general, dark-to-light highlighting without washes.

My kit (which is several years old) does not include any instructions for any of the details except skin and lining. The new version may be different.

Well I got a newer version and it only covers the techniques Lining, Layering and Glazes then walks through the Skin Tones for each model, then it tells you to use the other colors provided to finish the details on your own. I guess it assumes you have done the previous kits.

#5 ced1106

ced1106

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 948 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

Got it. LTPK1's fur was only base, wash, drybrush, so I looked around for other fur tutorials.

Here's one with a dark-to-light layering technique:
http://www.belloflos...oros-armor.html

Additional techniques:
http://privateerpres...nting-White-Fur

#6 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2478 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

Off to a great start!

#7 Last Knight

Last Knight

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Bones Supporter
  • 6791 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

And that's actually about as far as 4 goes, the instructions are only for the skin. Layering with the triad, brown lining, glazes. Everything else is going off script, so... we'll see how that goes.

Currently DMing Boldly Into Darkness Go: Down The Murder Hole.

[img src="http://nanowrimo.org/widget/LiveSupporter/last-knight.png" /]

@Last Knight
WHY DID YOU POST THAT?

LK is my hero!

#8 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2996 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:42 AM

You need to come back and touch up the highlights again, now the model has a nice mid tone and shadow transition but the highlights have dissappeared.

Now I need to break my copy out and join the party :)
  • Last Knight likes this
Daily Encounter - Dungeons and Dragons 4E content for players and DMs.
Me in Reaper's Inspiration Gallery

#9 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2996 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

Ok I said I was going to get in on this one, so here is my barbarian all primed and ready to go.

He has a pretty major metal flaw in his left thigh and some other smaller ones in his right leg which I have had to (or will) fix up with moulding paste. These sorts of flaws are why I don't particularly like this new metal and prefer plastic, resin, (restic) and good old lead for my minis.

2012-10-31 23.12.25.jpg
  • Last Knight and klyons99 like this
Daily Encounter - Dungeons and Dragons 4E content for players and DMs.
Me in Reaper's Inspiration Gallery

#10 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Forum Mascot
  • 12326 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

berty001.jpg

I've got the first layer of tanned shadow down. Not much progress, but progress.
  • evergrin, Last Knight and klyons99 like this