Photo

Is it Possible to Buy Paint Kit Instruction Sheets?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Niranth

Niranth

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 575 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

I am good on paints, having almost three caddies full, and have plenty of brushes as well. I can order the minis either through Reaper directly or through my FLGS. The only part missing is the instruction booklets. So, is it possible to buy the printed instructions outside of buying the entire paint kits? (TBH, I am somewhat jealous of those that are diving into the hobby and would like to participate in the joy of sharing a shared piece of work. :) )
  • jarlis likes this
Bones KickStarter Links: http://www.reapermin...kstarter-links/

#2 LiquidLimn

LiquidLimn

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

Instruction booklets? If you're referring to educational material on how to paint, there are several free alternatives for you.

1. Check Reapers "The Craft" which has various tips and tricks.
2. Check on YouTube for painting tutorials. Some of my favorites are Awesome Paintjob and Girl Painting.
3. Consider purchasing instructional videos such as Reaper's own Laszlo's Hot Lead. (Not free).

Other's may have other material, but this is what helped me along :;):
  • thatguywiththeface likes this

#3 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• Members
  • 6393 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

When my kit 5 came w/o instructions, they sent them out listed thusly:

08905: Learn to Paint Kit - Armor ($25.95) $14.01 x1

Subtotal: 14.01
Shipping: 8.75
Handling: 1.00
Store Credit: -23.76
Order Total: $0.00

Notes: SOD Missing instruction sheet only for LTPK #5 Armor

#4 Niranth

Niranth

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 575 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

Instruction booklets? If you're referring to educational material on how to paint, there are several free alternatives for you.

1. Check Reapers "The Craft" which has various tips and tricks.
2. Check on YouTube for painting tutorials. Some of my favorites are Awesome Paintjob and Girl Painting.
3. Consider purchasing instructional videos such as Reaper's own Laszlo's Hot Lead. (Not free).

Other's may have other material, but this is what helped me along :;):

actually, I have perused TheCraft avidly, spent considerable time viewing YouTube, taken classes at Gen Con and I collect instructional videos - I own the Hot Lead DVD set, most from MiniatureMentors and my memory fails me of the one in French from the painter with the initials JBT. The request stems more from wanting to participate in the right of passage of the LTPKs.

#5 LiquidLimn

LiquidLimn

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

I wasn't aware of Reaper Learn to Paint kits. Nor that they are a "rite of passage". My mistake.

#6 Halberkill

Halberkill

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

I too wouldn't mind just the booklets.

Halber

#7 Niranth

Niranth

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 575 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

I wasn't aware of Reaper Learn to Paint kits. Nor that they are a "rite of passage". My mistake.

I didn't mean to come off like the jerk that I did, please forgive me! Your suggestIons are the very best and were applicable given the question. It is only in my mind of the rite of passage.

#8 LiquidLimn

LiquidLimn

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

No worries. I just misunderstood your question!

#9 ced1106

ced1106

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 643 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

How good are you at painting?

Review the LTPK WIP threads to see which skills you actually need.

MANY books and DVDs are available for you to learn to paint. They lack the "paint by numbers" handholding the LTPK instructions, but should have more content.

fwiw, the dwarf in LTPK5 (armor) is in the KS Bones assortment.

And, of course, you can always write to Reaper directly and ask!

#10 Serenity

Serenity

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 496 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

actually, I have perused TheCraft avidly, spent considerable time viewing YouTube, taken classes at Gen Con and I collect instructional videos - I own the Hot Lead DVD set, most from MiniatureMentors and my memory fails me of the one in French from the painter with the initials JBT. The request stems more from wanting to participate in the right of passage of the LTPKs.

JBT = Jeremie Bonamant Teboul (missing some accents there).

I believe you'll find everything covered in the LTPKs is covered in the videos you listed as well, and more. Doesn't change the fact it would be nice to get the instructions on their own, however.
  • Niranth likes this

Serenity
All I want is to have my peace of mind.(Boston)

Time and time again I've thanked them for a peace of mind.(The Outlaws, Green Grass and High Tides)

#11 Niranth

Niranth

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 575 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

How good are you at painting?

My painting looks as though my fingers are at war with my hands, my hands at war with my brain and my brain at war with reality. In short, no good. :) All jesting aside, I do have neuropathy in my hands and my brush control is tenuous at best.

And, of course, you can always write to Reaper directly and ask!

To whom should this request be directed?

#12 LiquidLimn

LiquidLimn

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

Niranth,

I think we all suffer from that at times :;): I mostly suffer from the latter. My brain is constantly at war with reality.

I'd just give reaper a call directly and request them. You'd be surprised what a simple fan request can accomplish! As far as I know, the Reaper staff is incredibly helpful and courteous. The worst that could happen is they could say no!

Time and time again, Reaper has proven that they love their customers. With the recent KickStarter campaign, and the monthly (even weekly) sponsorship of the painting competitions here on the forums, they have shown nothing but adoration for their customer base. A very remarkable feat indeed for a company in this day and age.

Heck, they might even have it in .PDF and send it via e-mail!

#13 Jokemeister

Jokemeister

Rabble Rouser

• Bones Supporter
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

If its available in pdf, I would love to get a copy as well. I already have some brushes and paints from a hobby starter set that I purchased locally (before I realised how awesome the LTP kits were) and would love some paint by numbers guidance until I get a bit more confidence.

#14 Doug Sundseth

Doug Sundseth

Godlike

• Members
  • 3000 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

Anyone interested in a somewhat different take on LTP kits might be interested in ST Models's MJ's Figure Art Vol. 1. Hangar 18 Miniatures is importing it into the US.

#15 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 4649 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:58 PM

That book doesn't look bad at all. For some people learning on 54mm might be easier as it's twice the size.

@monkeysloth

---My Tutorials---

New: Sculpting and Painting Rocks | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users