• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 kyaakone

kyaakone

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

I purchased two Paint Carrying Cases as a replacement for my Reaper Paint Caddy. I store my paints on a craft shelf where the Caddy was sticking out slightly, so I thought the Outrider cases would be a good substitude, despite requiring two of them to hold the paints that I was storing in my Caddy. I has already purchased and enjoyed the HD paint set which came in a similar case.

On the positive, the cases are great. Solid and easy to use. I love the room for brushes and extras. They succeed in fitting on the shelf as I intended.

On the other hand, I have two observations:
(1) the glue that was used to adhere the top portion of foam to the bottom foam was not applied as carefully as it was for my HD set. The glue sticks to the paint bottles and now many of the dropper bottles have a sticky residue on the bottom where I inevitably get on my hands when shaking the bottles. Also, a couple of the droppers ended up being glued to the bottom of the case and took quite a bit of careful yanking to remove from the case.

(2) The handles are incredibly comfortable to carry - except that it is difficult to carry more than one case in one hand. I intended to have 3 cases to carry to my painting sessions, but I'll have to rig something togetther with a One Trip Grip or something to manage this. Likely not a primary consideration for many that might be in the market for a case, but something to consider.

Apparently, the cases are sold out at the moment, but I thought I would share these observations before I forget all about them.

Case: https://www.reapermi.../sku-down/08706

Caddy: https://www.reapermi.../sku-down/09999

One Trip Grip: http://amzn.com/B000RZ6XL8

(edit: fixed caddy url)

(edit #2: apparently this was post #100 for me. yay.)

#2 Reaperbryan

Reaperbryan

Living Miniature

• Reaper Peeps
  • 8628 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

I should point out that Outrider only produced the foam for our first 500 cases sold, all subsequent cases have been otherwise sourced. Outrider's foam was slightly firmer than our current source, and I can attest that there were no glue situations such as you describe.

That said, Outrider's name is on the product as "designed by", to give him credit for the work he did making the product a reality, and should not be used to infer that his company manufactured all foam inserts inside.

bryan@reapermini.com This post is 100% organic. No Artifical Spellcheck or Grammar Check was used in the manufacturing of this post. No Zombies were harmed in the making of this post.

#3 kyaakone

kyaakone

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:26 PM

I should point out that Outrider only produced the foam for our first 500 cases sold, all subsequent cases have been otherwise sourced. Outrider's foam was slightly firmer than our current source, and I can attest that there were no glue situations such as you describe.

That said, Outrider's name is on the product as "designed by", to give him credit for the work he did making the product a reality, and should not be used to infer that his company manufactured all foam inserts inside.

Oh I see. I didn't carefully read the credit on the box. Wish I could edit the topic to be more clear. Thanks for the clarification ReaperBryan.

#4 Last Knight

Last Knight

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Bones Supporter
  • 3684 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

Soooo... whatcha doin' with that paint caddy, now that it's replaced? :blues:
  • Tranquil Ape likes this
Happiness is just a word to me
And it might have meant a thing or two
If I'd known the difference
Emptiness, a lonely parody
And my life, another smokin' gun
A sign of my indifference...

-Seatbelts, "Gotta Knock A Little Harder"

I pretty much agree with everything that Last Knight said.

#5 kyaakone

kyaakone

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:08 PM

Soooo... whatcha doin' with that paint caddy, now that it's replaced? :blues:

Not sure. Might hold my groups of incomplete mini bits.
  • Last Knight likes this

#6 ced1106

ced1106

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 643 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:26 AM

Stupid question, but how about some DIY with the storage cases from Michael's or another hobby shop?

For under $5 on clearance, I got this Iris storage case for 12" x 12" paper. It's 3.5" tall, which means it's EXACTLY the height to store eye droppers. Add spongy foam and DIY dividers to keep the paints from rattling about.

Michael's also has these storage things that are transportable. Not bad at a 40% off sale or with a Michael's coupon!

EDIT: DIY foam paint carrying case: http://chicagoskirmi...01_archive.html
  • cthulhudarren likes this

#7 MiniPainterC

MiniPainterC

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

I bought the MSP HD Set 1 & 2 from different vendors and the glue that held the foam together was not cured on either one of them and my # 1 set was really bad as the glue was all over my paint bottles maybe a quality issue Reaper needs to look into.

Edit: spelling

#8 TheAuldGrump

TheAuldGrump

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1156 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

I had the same problem - the paints no longer live in those cases. <_<

The Auld Grump
Si Tibi Narraremus Te Interficere Debemus

#9 synistar

synistar

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

I bought the two MSP HD paint sets recently from a retailer and they turned out to have the Outrider Hobbies cases. The cases are nice but the one of them has been badly slathered with the above mentioned goo (or possibly the glue migrated around inside the case as the weight of the paint forced the foam pieces to drift). Unfortunately this has left a mess on the bottles. And even though I cleaned the bottles the goo gets back on them when I put them in the case. Anyone know of a solution? Can I use something to dry out the glue? I would like to store the paint in these cases.

#10 LittleBluberry

LittleBluberry

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

Oh bother.  Does this mean if I get the HD paint set direct from Reaper I'll have glue issues as well?  I had my eye on the set partly just for the case, but stickiness drives me nuts. 

There is a typo in my username.  Expecting more from my posts will likely result in disappointment...  <sigh>

#11 Harrek

Harrek

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 425 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:16 PM

Mine are the same way. Bottles keep getting stuck in them making them hard to use.
Heroes delusions, with feet in the grave.

#12 Unruly

Unruly

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 505 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:39 PM

My HD Set 2 has a spots with glue issues as well. But what I've found is that after removing and replacing the bottles 5 or 6 times, cleaning the glue off the bottle each time, the problem is diminished a fair bit. It's kinda time consuming, and the glue isn't completely gone, but it worked to make it easier to pull bottles.

It really doesn't bother me much though, to be honest. I try to have a general idea of what paints I'll be using and I'll pull all of them out at once before I start painting. That way I don't have to search and pull them later.

#13 Kay

Kay

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 307 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:15 AM

I don't have the cases so I can't check personally, but is it possible to take the foam out and let it dry out for a few days? Meanwhile clean out the case with some Goo Gone or other glue remover (and the bottles) and then when the glue is dry on the foam and the case is clean reglue them with a better adhesive that won't spread about the case onto the bottles? And don't put the bottles back into the case before the glue is cured.

Just curious....

• dispatchdave likes this
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.

#14 Malynor

Malynor

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:41 AM

I picked up both HD sets back in April, and had this same issue with the glue/goo stickiness.  1 of the cases foam was completely mangled with the bottom not stuck to more than half of the foam (the other half was stuck to paint bottles).  I replaced the cases with paint racks, and don't use them anymore... kind of a shame, they are pretty nice cases.

#15 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• Members
  • 6409 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:53 AM

I have one of the paint pistol cases I bought sans paint. I use it regularly for my paint kit in the living room.

I'm almost numb to all the glue on my paint bottles because of it. Great case, great foam, but the glue is awful. I stopped keeping brushes in it because they also got glue on them. And since all that glue is ending up on my bottles, the foam is starting to separate pretty easily now, too.

I'll have to check out the new Bones cases for glue issues, it would be bad if they have the same issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users