Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Metalchaos

02788, Leorelex the Dragon Lion (WIP)

97 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I just started working on this beautiful model.

Leorelex was sculpted by Geoff Valley and was released in 2004.

For now, I only started working on the putty base.

I want to make it look like it's an eroded sea shore.

I'm mixed between sculpting waves or using realistic water effect.

Should I sculpt green stuff waves like I did for my Karkarius or Scuttlebones,

or should I try using realistic water to creats a more transparent aspect?

post-5669-0-17048900-1351728993.jpg

post-5669-0-98072300-1351728995.jpg

3 people like this

ooh... I like this concept...very cool. I'd be certain to put a little rock texture on the underside of the integrated base where it's got a hole beneath it, just so it doesn't look so unnaturally flat on the bottom.

I really liked your GS waves. If you see this as a windy, wave-crashy environment, I'd stick with those, since you'll want a lot of whitecaps and froth (very little transparency, there). If it's a calmer, lagoonish/tidepool kind of environment, go with the Realistic Water or Water Effects. You'll want something fairly viscous when you apply it.

2 people like this

ooh... I like this concept...very cool. I'd be certain to put a little rock texture on the underside of...

Yes! I’ll be working on this spot.

But for the waves, I'm not yet sure.

post-5669-0-15573400-1351738257.jpg

I like the idea of dynamic waves, which just look so amazing. But you're right- a peaceful lagoon with vines, or even yucca/sea oats might also look cool. I'm getting a mass effect Virmire vibe.

1 person likes this

Awesome model! I'll keep an eye on this. Interesting basing.

1 person likes this

...If it's a calmer, lagoonish/tidepool kind of environment, go with the Realistic Water or Water Effects. You'll want something fairly viscous when you apply it.

...But you're right- a peaceful lagoon with vines, or even yucca/sea oats might also look cool. I'm getting a mass effect Virmire vibe.

I like the lagoon idea too, I think I‘ll give a try. I saw that LiquidLimn is also looking for information about Woodland Scenics Realistic Water and it could well be used for my project.

I reworked the base a little and looked for more informations about the way to contain Realistic Water while pouring it on an even base. The finding is I'll probably need to build a temporary formwork to hold the liquid until it's dry.

post-5669-0-29396600-1352045014.jpg

post-5669-0-77319100-1352045016.jpg

post-5669-0-24027800-1352045019.jpg

post-5669-0-38494400-1352045022.jpg

nice! The nooks and crannies are perfect for flora and fauna! :;): Fiddler crabs, perhaps?

1 person likes this

I can never figure out how you pronounce this miniature's name. Leor Elex? Leore Lex? Le Orelex?

I think I'm just gonna call him Leo Relax.

nice! The nooks and crannies are perfect for flora and fauna! :;): Fiddler crabs, perhaps?

Turquoise water lagoon, with coral sand, sea star, shells, yes that kind of environment. I could add Reaper’s crab from the 03608 Aquatic Familiars pack.

Finnaly a WIP of yours I can follow because it's not for a contest I'm running. ::D:

For water effect vs sculpting. The water effect would look amazing, but it's hard to do. Thankfully the Massive Voodoo guys have some how to's.

Creating Waves

Making a epoxy based water base (above the rim stuff)

Also, from freebooters, CRABS!

Thanks for the link MonkeySloth. I don’t have Tesa strip at hand but I may try something like that. And yes, to my great pleasure you’ll be able to comment on my WIP. As long as you as you're not also judging the WAMP contest. Are you?

I can never figure out how you pronounce this miniature's name. Leor Elex? Leore Lex? Le Orelex?

I thought of a some other names too. What about Skylion, Leóncielo or Leoncéu?

Today, I retouched the rocks and patched the gaps between the wings and the Lion body.

I also cleaned the entire model with a toothbrush and soapy water to avoid dripping primer.

post-5669-0-17990100-1352068506.jpg

post-5669-0-07230500-1352068509.jpg

Nope, I'm not involved with the WAMP contest. For the epoxy they used any type you mix should behave similar, but I worry about the Woodland scenes stuff as you can get a lot of bubbles with it unless you do really thin layers at a time--or so has been posted on this forum many times, so those techniques should work regardless of what you use.

...but I worry about the Woodland scenes stuff as you can get a lot of bubbles with it unless you do really thin layers at a time...

I believe bubbles may appear when you mix the product when it's dyed. Or, maybe it's the air between the grain of sands that's trying reach the surface while the product is drying. Anyway, I'll try to make some tests before applying anything on my base.

The beast is now primed and ready to paint.

post-5669-0-50928800-1352157270.jpg

Don't do it, when you want to go to it.
1 person likes this

...but I worry about the Woodland scenes stuff as you can get a lot of bubbles with it unless you do really thin layers at a time...

I believe bubbles may appear when you mix the product when it's dyed. Or, maybe it's the air between the grain of sands that's trying reach the surface while the product is drying. Anyway, I'll try to make some tests before applying anything on my base.

The beast is now primed and ready to paint.

post-5669-0-50928800-1352157270.jpg

Wow I have been underpriming my minis, also very nice man.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cyradis
      Congratulations, by opening this forum post, you have received a quest!
      This quest is a challenge created by the combined forces of @Sirithiliel the Queen Tiamacrab, a Wizard Most Wild @Pezler the Polychromatic, and myself – @Cyradis the Questgiver.
      The challenge is this! Paint a small dragon, letting the dice control the colors!
      The Rules:
      Post in the WIP Forums “_Your Pseudonym_ is taking the random rainbow dragon challenge!” or “_Your Pseudonym_ has accepted the d20 rainbow dragon quest!” something to that extent.

Select a figure from one of the following: Stormwing (from Bones III), Kryphrixis (from Bones III), Deathsleet (77110), or Ebonwrath (77102).

You must select the dragon BEFORE rolling for colors. Take a photo with the figure and a clock as proof of order of operations.  
      Roll for colors! Use a d20 and a photo, or an online dice roller with a screenshot as proof of rolling. Or have a fellow forum dweller vouch for your rolls. Use the Color Chart below to determine what the color is that you rolled. There are three rolls. Below is an online dice roller. Most keyboards have a PRT SCRN button that can take a screenshot for you. Then you can paste the photo into Paint to save. I'm sure there are better methods, but that works for me. 

https://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm

The first roll determines what your primary base color is. That must be the dominant color on the figure.

The second roll determines your secondary color. It should be the second color that catches the eye, and second most prevalent color on the figure.

The third roll determines your miscellaneous color. This should be most of the accent colors that you use, and third most prevalent color on the figure.

You might need to order paint or go to the FLGS after rolling if you don’t have a given bottle – we’ll be patient and wait for you. If you can’t get a bottle of one of these colors, here is a spreadsheet with equivalent colors from different brands. If you really can't get them, use the closest thing you got to your rolls (let us know what they are please). 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xl-x9eW3bLw5eqDeNUG2JUwn2EZwn34TDKfNIg5uul4/edit#gid=5
        Number
      Reaper #
      Color Name
      Color Description
      Fire Red
      Bright red
      Clotted Red
      Dull red
      Lava Orange
      Volcanic orange
      Orange Brown
      Dull orange
      Lemon Yellow
      Bright yellow
      Brilliant green
      Bright green
      Olive Green
      Olive dull green
      True Blue
      Bright blue
      Heather Blue
      Dull light blue
      Imperial Purple
      Deep purple
      Violet Red
      A very misnamed color; somewhere between burgundy and magenta. Not violet.
      Blush Pink
      Very pink
      Earth Brown
      Generic brown
      Terran Khaki
      Light brown
      Mint Green
      Bright pastel green
      Cloudy Grey
      Generic grey
      Marine Teal
      Teal, blueish
      Palomino Gold
      Earthy gold yellow
      Pure Black
      Super black. Critical threat!
      Pure White
      Super white. Critical threat!

You are allowed to use whatever colors to shade and highlight that you want, as long as the rolled colors are obvious visually.* Example: you can shade a red dragon with purple, brown, or black, but it must always appear as a red dragon. A white dragon shaded with grey must appear as a white dragon, not a grey dragon.   
      You are allowed to use colors outside the ones that you rolled, but they must not take up more visual surface area than any of the others.** Example: your pink, green, and gray dragon is allowed to have bone-beige teeth.  
      The proportions of color on the figure can be however you want, as long as the 1st roll is dominant, 2nd is less, 3rd is less, and anything else smaller. Example: 70% pink, 15% green, 10% gray, and 5% anything else. Or it could be 50% pink, 25% green, 15% grey, and 10% anything else. The tidbit colors are fine wherever, as long as they are minor. 
        Paint your dragon according to the rolls plus your tidbits. Even if it is outrageous. The goal is to make the dragon look as awesome as possible without the benefit of planning color themes. You can add spots, stripes, eye-spots like moths have, or nothing. This is the base challenge. 
        Star 1* You may decide after your initial three rolls to limit your shading colors to your rolled colors mixed with pure black and white. You may still use tidbit colors. Declare this if you go for a Star 1 challenge!
        Star 2** You may decide after your initial three rolls to not use colors outside of your rolled ones and shading colors (so no tidbits like beige teeth, only 3 visual colors shaded however you want). Declare this if you go for a Star 2 challenge!
        Star 3*** You may decide to do both the Star 1 and Star 2 challenges, using absolutely nothing but your three rolled colors, plus black and white for shading. If you do this, you are allowed to use the white for areas like teeth and eyes that could be really weird otherwise (or not - up to you). Effectively, you have 5 colors to work with only, and three of them must be the majority (in decreasing order of prevalence). You gotta be nuts!
        There is no time limit on this. However, if the WIP photos stop showing up at a normal rate and there’s never a Show Off thread, the forum dwellers may gently poke fun at you for adding this to your Shelf of Shame.
        Post to the Show Off forums with a “_Your Pseudonym_ has completed the random rainbow dragon challenge!” sort of title upon completion. Brag about your awesome (or hilarious) dragon. Win all the internet-points. Receive experience and praise. Thus shall end the quest.
        Once the first Random Rainbow Dragon has been completed, we will start up a group Show Off thread to compile all of the dragons in a great flock of rainbowy goodness.   
      Current WIP List (started thanks to @Evilhalfling.) 

Little Bluberry
      Sylverthorne
      Glitterwolf
      Cyradis
      Corporea
      Sirithiliel
      Morihalda
      Evilhalfling
      Guindyloo
      Maledrakh
      Eldamir
      pcktInt
      Talae
      nakos
      Kate
      midshipmaneasy
      Paradoxical Mouse
      Darsc Zacal
      vegascat
      Cranky Dog
      Auberon
      robinh
      Ulfheathen
      Phoenix Rising
      NebulousMissy
      Edsterdoom
      Ironhammer
      Thes Hunter
      Invisible Thumb

• By InvisibleThumb
      Stuck my thumb in the box of unpainted bones and pulled out a Kyphryxis.

must unbag bag and dry fit, trim mold lines and scrub, but first, the random colors...

15, ah what could that mean?  I'll look later.  Let's roll another.

seven!  Good.  Nicely spaced numbers.  Will look it up in a minute.  For the third roll...  Well darn gotta wait for the full minute so the time shown is different...  Finally!

oof!  One!  Critical miss.  Well, it's probably a boring color at the top of the table.  Let's see what this means:

15: mint green
      7: olive green
      1: fire red 

huh.  Whadaya know.  Time to go see what I've got for colors... (To be continued)
    • By Maledrakh
      In the third Bones kickstarter, one of the dragons was made available in clear Bones material, in addition to the normal offwhite the Bones usually come in. Naturally, I opted for the clear one.
      Reiterating how to paint translucent minis:
      Clearly, it is nessecary to use paints that in themselves are translucent, such as inks or quickshades to preserve some of the dragon’s own translucency or it will all be for nought!
      From bitter experience I know that the usual opaque paints will *not* work if you want any sort of translucent effect, even if they are thinned considerably. Many acrylic paints such as I use, (e.g. Citadel, Vallejo, Army Painter, Reaper,  Scale 75 etc) will cover in a certain way which obscures the translucency, also when thinned. Some will leave a “chalky” look. This is mostly apparent in pale and whitish paints.
      So anyway:

The key to painting a transparent mini is first to scrub it in warm, soapy water to remove any mold release residue (silicon, talc or whatever. It is greasy and stops the paint from sticking properly to the mini.) The plastic/resin is in itself also somewhat paint repellent on it’s own, so:
      When dry, undercoat it with clear, (preferably matte) varnish. This lets the paint adhere to the mini just like a normal opaque undercoat.
      Then, knock yourself out with inks or quickshades. Experiment with several layers and different colours, even wet blending as you go. Take care to remove any unwanted pools of paint that might gather. I use a clean, damp brush for this.
      Opaque paints should be kept only for extremely light highlighting and any bits that are to be opqaque, such as the base, or for effects such as making eyes pop.
      I used Army Painter Soft Tone quickshade ink (the water based stuff that comes in a dropperbottle, not the horrendous and smelly dip that goes by the same name). In additon I used Army Painter Green quickshade, with claws and eyesockets in Red quickshade. Eyeballs were done in old Citadel Golden Yellow, and the entire body was given an extremely light drybrush with  Reaper Dirty Bone on a broad brush. The teeth were picked out in the same dirty bone.
      The bedrock was glued down to one of my custom oval 3Dprinted bases, and painted in opaques in the same way as I do most rock these days: Dark green/grey over black, heavy drybrush in sandy yellow followed by a lighter drybrush with off white.
      Some tufts, thinned pva glue and my magic flock /scatter mix later, voila.
      I kept the dragon and the base as two seperate parts when painting to avoid slopping the wrong kind of paint where it was not meant to go. I even remembered to paint the plugs on the underside of the feet that were to be in contact with the base to avoid ugly bright patches there.

I opted for a relatively heavy stain.
      To make the colour less colouring. thin the quickshade with preferably acrylic medium, or water. This needs a bit more shepherding and brushwork up until the ink starts to dry enough to stay still, to avoid an uneven result.

Kyphrixis (clear variant)
      Reaper Bones KS3
      Translucent bones
      125mm x 90mm oval base

• By Lidless Eye
      Just a bunch of Eastern myth themed minis, mostly from Bones III and one Kenku/Tengu Monk from Stonehaven.

Oh, and some Myconids from Ganesha Games and Bones III plant monsters.  More Mario than myth, I suppose.

Oni close-up:

Kitsune close-up:

I like the male Kitsuine a lot more than I was expecting.  His pose, with all its swagger, adds a lot of character.  I also hadn't noticed the sake cup he was holding until I started painting.
    • By empi2k
      Hi guys,
      I haven't been here for the better part of a year, but I'm back with a huge "miniature". Its the Lysander model from Toscano, more of a statue than an actual miniature model. There have already been at least two of those in the forums, and they inspired me to paint my own. Also I paint to use the minis for D&D, and we were finishing a specific campaign where I needed a Tiamat miniature. Lysander has five identical heads, so I modified them to resemble the five evil dragon types from D&D lore. If you want to know more, please visit the WIP thread here.

So may I present to you Tiamat, the Dark Queen of Dragons. I actually finshed painting the beast last December, but just got new photo hardware today to shoot the thing.

Sir William Peacekeeper is facing Tiamat and Severin, the Cult of the Dragon's leader alone. Poor fool.

• Who's Online   10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)