97 posts in this topic
Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
So I got the box in August of 2015, and proceeded to paint the terrain portions of the box...
Now it is finally time to start on the main piece of the box!
Nathavarr the Dragon!
I spent much time last night removing mold lines....
Then scrubbing all the parts....
Hey! I am using Bones Superglue on Bones!
I glued his hind right leg, and tail to the body, and will be doing some putty work after my postings tonight...
As a side note, the blocks of wood with the single nails are the ones I used when I was painting Takhisis, over a year ago now....
I plan on using Blue Liner as my primer, and will be air brushing it on....
So I hope you all will follow along, because most of the initial work will be done with my air brushes....
PS I was talking with our Haminister of Trooth whilst taking pics, and we agree that if you could get 2 (or more!) of the same wings from this guy, they would likely make cool looking sails / masts for a fantasy ship!
Because I apparently suffer from extreme ADHD when it comes to miniature painting... squirrel!!
Ahem, the following are in various stages of WIP. Everything on the blob and rat has been applied by airbrush and mostly inks and washes to this point. The Abominataur has had some brushwork done since and is nearing completion.
Tried something I picked up from a French Youtuber Hutif who mixes some satin varnish in with her inks when she sprays them. Will be doing a comparison on some different models at some point to see if it's actually doing anything but it seems to be helping the ink settle into the recesses better. Applying inks/washes through the airbrush has also been neat as you spray at such a low pressure that you can get really precise. If nothing else, it was great practice.
These are not meant to be works of art, just messing around and hoping to get them on the table with 3 or so hours of work each. So far, the minotaur is the farthest along has had about 2 hours total.
Thanks for looking.
I saw amazing French sculptor Gautier Giroud posting up WIP pics of this amazing bust and knew I just HAD to have him, picked him up from Cinemodeles-creations. He's jumped up in my queue today while I'm home from work on a personal day.
Here's the the cast in resin pieces, held together by some blue tack so I could take the pics of the resin -
I've used my airbrush for the first time today, primed up Deadpool and 4 giants (the giants first to get the hang of the airbrush).
Here's where he's at now -
I drilled holes in his nose so that I can do the smoke sniffing scene as it's meant to be from the movie, which I'll probably use cotton or some other material to complete the effect.
Going to get started on some painting of him now.
Well this month I decided to join in the hangouts mini. Got started on mine tonight on the hangouts. Went with the green skin as all my other's I have are painted up as greenskins. I mostly base coated tonight during the hangout. Here is what I got accomplished.
Next up in my painting journey for my current Pathfinder game. The Stag Lord, a.k.a. the first Big Bad that the party will encounter (likely at the next session, so I may need to speed up the painting process near the end to get him done). This is also proving to be my first "Moby Dick" mini, or perhaps "Murphy's Law" if you prefer. When I first opened him up, I learned that he was missing his bow arm. While it's certainly plausible he'll lose that arm when he encounters the PCs, it seemed a bit premature to me. :) Fortunately, Reaper Customer Service is awesome and even though it was months after I had placed the order, they still replaced the entire mini for free, which is doubly awesome since as a newbie painter I don't have a lot of random extra bits lying about for basing materials, conversions, etc., so getting a full package was pretty sweet (even though I'd have been thrilled with just the one missing piece).
Next thing I noticed as I assembled this guy was that he required a lot of gap filling. The helm was a rather loose fit and the cloak didn't really line up in back either. Ironically, this actually didn't bother me much since i saw it as a chance to practice my gap filling which I have not had to do too much of to date. So with that out of the way, I set about priming and getting the base coat on the skin done.
Can't really see it here, but I then noticed a weird issue on the skin. For some reason, the paint on his skin began to crack. This is puzzling to me as I am not sure what could be causing it. I had used the same bottle of paint very recently (like less than a week ago) with no problems. Any thoughts on what could have caused it? I've gone over it with another coat and will see how it holds up, but hopefully he won't need a Simple Green Bath. That said, I'm open to suggestions here.
The initial plan from here is to go with kind of a dirty bone look on the helm, gray for the cloak, and Coal Black for the armor pieces. Haven't quite decided what to do with the leggings yet, but I'm thinking possibly a darker brown, but I am very much open to suggestions as I freely acknowledge I only have a basic grasp (if that) of color theory.
Anyway, thanks for looking and please feel free to provide C&C as I go. I am always looking for pointers, tips, etc. as I continue to slowly improve to a somewhat passable state. :) Ultimately I will be aiming for Table Top quality which I don't think I will have too much trouble achieving (well my version of TT anyway).
Who's Online 18 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)