• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1198 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

Hi everyone, I just started working on this beautiful model.
Leorelex was sculpted by Geoff Valley and was released in 2004.

For now, I only started working on the putty base.
I want to make it look like it's an eroded sea shore.

I'm mixed between sculpting waves or using realistic water effect.
Should I sculpt green stuff waves like I did for my Karkarius or Scuttlebones,
or should I try using realistic water to creats a more transparent aspect?

02788 Leorelex 01.jpg

02788 Leorelex 02.jpg
  • buglips*the*goblin, aromaticpose and klyons99 like this

#2 Sanael

Sanael

God among Kender and Kobolds

• Bones Supporter
  • 1793 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

ooh... I like this concept...very cool. I'd be certain to put a little rock texture on the underside of the integrated base where it's got a hole beneath it, just so it doesn't look so unnaturally flat on the bottom.

I really liked your GS waves. If you see this as a windy, wave-crashy environment, I'd stick with those, since you'll want a lot of whitecaps and froth (very little transparency, there). If it's a calmer, lagoonish/tidepool kind of environment, go with the Realistic Water or Water Effects. You'll want something fairly viscous when you apply it.
  • Metalchaos and pocketcthulhu like this

Index of my Show-Off minis.

Current workbench: Wyrmgear (boss monster for Eberron; WiP here). 35 pts of Legion of Everblight (19/35 complete). RP Draconians Box Set.

Why yes, that is a Kaladrax on my shoulder. Why do you ask?

#3 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1198 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

ooh... I like this concept...very cool. I'd be certain to put a little rock texture on the underside of...

Yes! I’ll be working on this spot.
But for the waves, I'm not yet sure.

02788 Leorelex 05.JPG

#4 Corporea

Corporea

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1972 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:16 AM

I like the idea of dynamic waves, which just look so amazing. But you're right- a peaceful lagoon with vines, or even yucca/sea oats might also look cool. I'm getting a mass effect Virmire vibe.
  • Metalchaos likes this
oh, you mean I can put stuff here?  cool!  now to think of something...

#5 Maglok

Maglok

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 806 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:17 AM

Awesome model! I'll keep an eye on this. Interesting basing.
  • Metalchaos likes this

Glok's Grotto (A gaming blog that I seem to not get bored with!)

Bones kickstarter #1 count: 33

Stonehaven gnomes count: 1

Stoneheaven dwarfs count: 1

#6 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1198 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

...If it's a calmer, lagoonish/tidepool kind of environment, go with the Realistic Water or Water Effects. You'll want something fairly viscous when you apply it.

...But you're right- a peaceful lagoon with vines, or even yucca/sea oats might also look cool. I'm getting a mass effect Virmire vibe.

I like the lagoon idea too, I think I‘ll give a try. I saw that LiquidLimn is also looking for information about Woodland Scenics Realistic Water and it could well be used for my project.

#7 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1198 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

I reworked the base a little and looked for more informations about the way to contain Realistic Water while pouring it on an even base. The finding is I'll probably need to build a temporary formwork to hold the liquid until it's dry.

02788 Leorelex 06.JPG

02788 Leorelex 07.JPG

02788 Leorelex 08.JPG

02788 Leorelex 09.JPG

#8 Corporea

Corporea

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1972 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

nice! The nooks and crannies are perfect for flora and fauna! :;): Fiddler crabs, perhaps?
  • Metalchaos likes this
oh, you mean I can put stuff here?  cool!  now to think of something...

#9 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 4690 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

Finnaly a WIP of yours I can follow because it's not for a contest I'm running. ::D:

For water effect vs sculpting. The water effect would look amazing, but it's hard to do. Thankfully the Massive Voodoo guys have some how to's.

Creating Waves

Making a epoxy based water base (above the rim stuff)

Also, from freebooters, CRABS!

@monkeysloth

---My Tutorials---

New: Sculpting and Painting Rocks | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#10 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Cybermonkey Wrangler

• Bones Supporter
  • 9411 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

I can never figure out how you pronounce this miniature's name. Leor Elex? Leore Lex? Le Orelex?

I think I'm just gonna call him Leo Relax.

Current Bones Count: Total: awaiting recount    Painted: 134

#11 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1198 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

nice! The nooks and crannies are perfect for flora and fauna! :;): Fiddler crabs, perhaps?

Turquoise water lagoon, with coral sand, sea star, shells, yes that kind of environment. I could add Reaper’s crab from the 03608 Aquatic Familiars pack.

Finnaly a WIP of yours I can follow because it's not for a contest I'm running. ::D:

For water effect vs sculpting. The water effect would look amazing, but it's hard to do. Thankfully the Massive Voodoo guys have some how to's.

Creating Waves

Making a epoxy based water base (above the rim stuff)

Also, from freebooters, CRABS!

Thanks for the link MonkeySloth. I don’t have Tesa strip at hand but I may try something like that. And yes, to my great pleasure you’ll be able to comment on my WIP. As long as you as you're not also judging the WAMP contest. Are you?

I can never figure out how you pronounce this miniature's name. Leor Elex? Leore Lex? Le Orelex?

I thought of a some other names too. What about Skylion, Leóncielo or Leoncéu?

Today, I retouched the rocks and patched the gaps between the wings and the Lion body.
I also cleaned the entire model with a toothbrush and soapy water to avoid dripping primer.

02788 Leorelex 10.JPG

02788 Leorelex 11.JPG

#12 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 4690 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

Nope, I'm not involved with the WAMP contest. For the epoxy they used any type you mix should behave similar, but I worry about the Woodland scenes stuff as you can get a lot of bubbles with it unless you do really thin layers at a time--or so has been posted on this forum many times, so those techniques should work regardless of what you use.

@monkeysloth

---My Tutorials---

New: Sculpting and Painting Rocks | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#13 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1198 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

...but I worry about the Woodland scenes stuff as you can get a lot of bubbles with it unless you do really thin layers at a time...

I believe bubbles may appear when you mix the product when it's dyed. Or, maybe it's the air between the grain of sands that's trying reach the surface while the product is drying. Anyway, I'll try to make some tests before applying anything on my base.

The beast is now primed and ready to paint.

02788 Leorelex 14.JPG

#14 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• Members
  • 6432 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

Don't do it, when you want to go to it.
  • klyons99 likes this

#15 pocketcthulhu

pocketcthulhu

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 997 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

...but I worry about the Woodland scenes stuff as you can get a lot of bubbles with it unless you do really thin layers at a time...

I believe bubbles may appear when you mix the product when it's dyed. Or, maybe it's the air between the grain of sands that's trying reach the surface while the product is drying. Anyway, I'll try to make some tests before applying anything on my base.

The beast is now primed and ready to paint.

02788 Leorelex 14.JPG

Wow I have been underpriming my minis, also very nice man.

Warning: I am a Noob, Follow my advice at your own risk.  

8667879275_46308a2812_s.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestial, Wing, Lion, Dragon, WIP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users