Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Metalchaos

02788, Leorelex the Dragon Lion (WIP)

97 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I just started working on this beautiful model.

Leorelex was sculpted by Geoff Valley and was released in 2004.

For now, I only started working on the putty base.

I want to make it look like it's an eroded sea shore.

I'm mixed between sculpting waves or using realistic water effect.

Should I sculpt green stuff waves like I did for my Karkarius or Scuttlebones,

or should I try using realistic water to creats a more transparent aspect?

post-5669-0-17048900-1351728993.jpg

post-5669-0-98072300-1351728995.jpg

3 people like this

ooh... I like this concept...very cool. I'd be certain to put a little rock texture on the underside of the integrated base where it's got a hole beneath it, just so it doesn't look so unnaturally flat on the bottom.

I really liked your GS waves. If you see this as a windy, wave-crashy environment, I'd stick with those, since you'll want a lot of whitecaps and froth (very little transparency, there). If it's a calmer, lagoonish/tidepool kind of environment, go with the Realistic Water or Water Effects. You'll want something fairly viscous when you apply it.

2 people like this

ooh... I like this concept...very cool. I'd be certain to put a little rock texture on the underside of...

Yes! I’ll be working on this spot.

But for the waves, I'm not yet sure.

post-5669-0-15573400-1351738257.jpg

I like the idea of dynamic waves, which just look so amazing. But you're right- a peaceful lagoon with vines, or even yucca/sea oats might also look cool. I'm getting a mass effect Virmire vibe.

1 person likes this

Awesome model! I'll keep an eye on this. Interesting basing.

1 person likes this

...If it's a calmer, lagoonish/tidepool kind of environment, go with the Realistic Water or Water Effects. You'll want something fairly viscous when you apply it.

...But you're right- a peaceful lagoon with vines, or even yucca/sea oats might also look cool. I'm getting a mass effect Virmire vibe.

I like the lagoon idea too, I think I‘ll give a try. I saw that LiquidLimn is also looking for information about Woodland Scenics Realistic Water and it could well be used for my project.

I reworked the base a little and looked for more informations about the way to contain Realistic Water while pouring it on an even base. The finding is I'll probably need to build a temporary formwork to hold the liquid until it's dry.

post-5669-0-29396600-1352045014.jpg

post-5669-0-77319100-1352045016.jpg

post-5669-0-24027800-1352045019.jpg

post-5669-0-38494400-1352045022.jpg

nice! The nooks and crannies are perfect for flora and fauna! :;): Fiddler crabs, perhaps?

1 person likes this

I can never figure out how you pronounce this miniature's name. Leor Elex? Leore Lex? Le Orelex?

I think I'm just gonna call him Leo Relax.

nice! The nooks and crannies are perfect for flora and fauna! :;): Fiddler crabs, perhaps?

Turquoise water lagoon, with coral sand, sea star, shells, yes that kind of environment. I could add Reaper’s crab from the 03608 Aquatic Familiars pack.

Finnaly a WIP of yours I can follow because it's not for a contest I'm running. ::D:

For water effect vs sculpting. The water effect would look amazing, but it's hard to do. Thankfully the Massive Voodoo guys have some how to's.

Creating Waves

Making a epoxy based water base (above the rim stuff)

Also, from freebooters, CRABS!

Thanks for the link MonkeySloth. I don’t have Tesa strip at hand but I may try something like that. And yes, to my great pleasure you’ll be able to comment on my WIP. As long as you as you're not also judging the WAMP contest. Are you?

I can never figure out how you pronounce this miniature's name. Leor Elex? Leore Lex? Le Orelex?

I thought of a some other names too. What about Skylion, Leóncielo or Leoncéu?

Today, I retouched the rocks and patched the gaps between the wings and the Lion body.

I also cleaned the entire model with a toothbrush and soapy water to avoid dripping primer.

post-5669-0-17990100-1352068506.jpg

post-5669-0-07230500-1352068509.jpg

Nope, I'm not involved with the WAMP contest. For the epoxy they used any type you mix should behave similar, but I worry about the Woodland scenes stuff as you can get a lot of bubbles with it unless you do really thin layers at a time--or so has been posted on this forum many times, so those techniques should work regardless of what you use.

...but I worry about the Woodland scenes stuff as you can get a lot of bubbles with it unless you do really thin layers at a time...

I believe bubbles may appear when you mix the product when it's dyed. Or, maybe it's the air between the grain of sands that's trying reach the surface while the product is drying. Anyway, I'll try to make some tests before applying anything on my base.

The beast is now primed and ready to paint.

post-5669-0-50928800-1352157270.jpg

Don't do it, when you want to go to it.
1 person likes this

...but I worry about the Woodland scenes stuff as you can get a lot of bubbles with it unless you do really thin layers at a time...

I believe bubbles may appear when you mix the product when it's dyed. Or, maybe it's the air between the grain of sands that's trying reach the surface while the product is drying. Anyway, I'll try to make some tests before applying anything on my base.

The beast is now primed and ready to paint.

post-5669-0-50928800-1352157270.jpg

Wow I have been underpriming my minis, also very nice man.