Photo

No Halloween costumes thread? For shame.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 klawzie

klawzie

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 569 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:03 AM

I came in here fully expecting to see a thread for your costumes and/or the costumes of your pets or other munchkins.

I'll share in hopes of seeing other costumes. :3 We had a crackton of trick or treaters this year (as always), but a good half of the kids just came wearing what they wore to school with maybe a mask, so I'm kind of disappointed. (Okay "kind of" is an understatement. I understand money can be tight, but there are a lot of costumes that can be made with just things you have around the house. But I digress.)

Posted Image

This year I went dieselpunk. That's sort of the pulp era's answer to steampunk, for those not in the know. I was kinda going for a Dr. Elsa Schneider vibe. Trying to describe "who I was" to the trick or treaters was difficult because I don't think they're even familiar with steampunk. I got a lot of questions, but a lot of blank stares followed by, "Well, Happy Halloween!"

For those who have an even worse camera than my mom's, I also accept offerings of tales of Halloween adventures, like funny trick or treaters or how your Jack o' Lantern came to life and ate the guy egging your house.

#2 Niranth

Niranth

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 575 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:21 AM

I had a young lady, who heard me admonish a group to please take only one piece of candy as we were running low, come running up and put a Twizzler from her bag into my bowl. She could not have been more than seven and she completely captured my heart. With children such as her, I think we are in good hands!
  • klawzie likes this
Bones KickStarter Links: http://www.reapermin...kstarter-links/

#3 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1930 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:17 AM

My wife and I went as He-Man and She-Ra; yes, I informed her that they were brother and sister.

Can't seem to add photos however.
  • klawzie likes this

#4 Froggy the Great

Froggy the Great

Apostrophe Ninja

• 16189 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

For the second year in a row, I went as DADDY.
That's really all I wanted.
  • Reaperbryan, Qwyksilver, psyberwolfe1 and 7 others like this

Gallery of Froggyness

irc.sorcery.net #reaper
Wonderland No More

#5 Jordan Peacock

Jordan Peacock

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 624 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:21 AM

Heh. I confess that this year, we just closed down the house and went out. Wendy went as a hipster -- or, in other words, looking like she usually does. ;D We've tried doing the jack-o-lantern, the "warning: zombie quarantine" yellow caution tape, token costumes, etc., but, seriously, MOST of the kids who come by are just these bored-looking teenagers who don't bother with a costume at all, on a candy run. Not a bit of face paint, not even a toilet-paper mummy or cardboard-box robot or cape-around-the-shoulders low-budget vampire -- just, hey, I'm here, gimme candy. Grr.

There were more costumes at my WORKPLACE. (And these are people from the other floors who usually show up to work in business suits.) There were a couple of Gangnam Style characters on the elevator (thankfully NOT the guy with the boxer shorts and the cowboy hat), a Johnny-Depp-style Mad Hatter, the Bride from Kill Bill (complete with yellow motorcycle suit with black stripes, and a convincing-looking katana), and a few other oddly-dressed people (I'm not sure who they were supposed to be, but at least it looked like they were trying to be somebody).

When we went out to the local mall, however, there were plenty of kids doing the trick-or-treat thing. My favorite had to be Buzz Batyear ... or Bat Lightyear ... or something like that. I guess the little kid couldn't decide whether he wanted to be Batman or Buzz Lightyear, so he just had a mish-mash costume with bits and pieces for both. :D
  • klawzie likes this

#6 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 14210 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:42 AM

For the second year in a row, I went as DADDY.
That's really all I wanted.

I can't like this enough times Lanse!

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#7 Panzer_Engel

Panzer_Engel

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 214 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

I changed my avatar for the duration. Do virtual costumes count?

. . . .

Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time. . . .

(Ahem) On a serious note, this is a public board, and I can see why many people, myself included, would be less than keen about posting photo's of themselves and their families. Or indeed any details that might be used to identify themselves, where they live, or work.

The web is a broadcast medium; And the rule is, you really shouldn't upload anything you'd think twice about having broadcast on national television.
"Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein. . ."

#8 Matbar

Matbar

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 301 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:32 AM

Okay don't blame me for the lack of creativity on the Thomas outfit. He begged for that one last year and wanted to wear it again this year. However, we also had a potluck dinner to go to and I made him wear something else. I call it a "Love Bug"

I haven't tried to mess with links, so apologies in advance if I load something all jacked up.

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • klawzie likes this

#9 Inarah

Inarah

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3887 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

I put on the cat ears and tail you saw at Reapercon, found an old collar and some white gloves and went out with my berobed demon husband to get burritos at Chipotle. Tons of people there in costume, and they had a total party vibe going on.

Due to demographic changes over the years we no longer get trick or treaters. What children there are go up to the church event.
  • klawzie likes this
~It's not broken.... it's a conversion. ~

"I got my brother and his six year old hooked last week. They were soon back at the friendly local for more. Starts with a cute lil unicorn, next thing you're onto griffins and purple worms." ~ Carnacki the Ghost Finder

#10 dispatchdave

dispatchdave

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1345 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

It was sad. I saw more adults in costume than children. :(
  • klawzie likes this

Be a gentleman. It is charming and infuriating, respectively, to exactly the people you want it to be.

My brain is not sick, my brain just is. And sometimes I need a little help to function in a society not designed for my cognition.

-http://wolvensnother...-the-brain?og=1

Hirst Arts Molds: 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 50, 54, 56, 57, 58, 59, 61, 80, 85, 201, 202, 230, 235, 240, 245, 250

#11 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• Members
  • 6432 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

We don't really do costumes. Had a bunch of kids, and we like to stock up on candy and be a 'take a handful' house.

I did feel kind of bad because one candy mix bag was maybe 60% Whoppers and the rest split amongst 4 or 5 other types (though the Reese's cups went missing into my belly). But that's my personal dislike of Whoppers and thinking how many kids got one or two in their handfuls. Sorry kids! Next year I pick the candy bags (chocolate, chocolate, chocolate).
  • klawzie likes this

#12 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 14210 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

We give out full sized candy bars here. Punk teenagers with no costumes or little babies not old enough to eat candy but their parents take them out because they want candy get the "fun sized" little bars. Thank god for BJ's where I can get the huge 30 packs for like 12 bucks.

I get more irked with the parents that drive their kids around. I can understand driving them to a neighborhood and dropping them off if your neighborhood isn't the safest for trick or treating (we get a lot of those coming to our neighborhood), but really...make your kid walk, and if you are nervous about them being without an adult. Get off your butt and walk with them. Be a parent. Have some fun too. My neighborhood is JAMMED with kids at Halloween. Cars are really dangerous. Fortunately we have a huge police presence too. Officers on bikes, on foot and in cruisers making sure everyone is safe. 200+ is pretty normal for us.
  • klawzie likes this

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#13 chaosscorpion

chaosscorpion

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1241 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

Posted Image

Here's my half pint size Capt America.
  • buglips*the*goblin, psyberwolfe1, evergrin and 2 others like this

Life is Chaos... So Enjoy Life

ks_banner_bones_2_core_set.gif

#14 Exwilly

Exwilly

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 614 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

ours was pushed back due to weather and wont happen til this saturday.
"Remember practice doesn't make perfect but it sure does help only perfect practice makes perfect but you cant be perfect without making mistakes and learning from them." dont know if this is an actual quote by someone lol.

Naturally, he died because a wizard exploded.

like i tell my employees at work who complain about working. your here to work right. yes they reply. your getting paid right. yes they reply. good now go clean the restrooms

#15 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Cybermonkey Wrangler

• Bones Supporter
  • 9411 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

I haven't seen a trick or treater round these parts in nigh on sixteen years. Subdivisions sprang up around me and offer much better looting opportunities. Plus the kiddies don't have to play Frogger across the 4-lane anymore. Back in the day when all there was was the strip I live on, the town would actually block the throughway off at both ends of the town to keep the kids safe - diverting traffic out to the bypass highway. Can't do that anymore, they'd trap thousands of people.

Doesn't matter anyways, this plot is destined to be a Dairy Queen or strip mall "Soon". It's all anybody's holding onto it for, because it's old land and the front-to-back is the primest bit of real estate left. Huge. Come, Mr. Corporate Man. I am eager to sell out and move to more civilized parts where people don't drag race on my lawn.

Current Bones Count: Total: awaiting recount    Painted: 134

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users