55 replies to this topic

#1 Hellbeard

Hellbeard

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

I've been working on a set of 1:72 modern Afghanistan Bundeswehr infantry (in shooting poses). They're for a young German company and I'm making these as a sort of pilot project. I think it will be absolutely amazing to have my work cast and for people to paint and play with them.
So far I have completed one guy. I'll need to cut him up for casting but not just yet (I'm scared). I just started on the next two guys. I will be making 5 total for this batch with more hopefully afterwards. You can see more pictures, process shots and rantings on my blog if you're so inclined:

http://ludumartifex.blogspot.com

Posted Image
Posing with my epiphytic moss.

Posted Image
New armature #1

Posted Image
New armature #2

Posted Image
G36 V.2
  • buglips*the*goblin and Pragma like this

#2 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Cybermonkey Wrangler

• Bones Supporter
  • 9287 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

Niiice. A lot of 1/72 (or 20mm) sculpts I see are badly proportioned and look chunky, but this looks real nice. I'd buy them.

If this works out for you and the company, I hope you get to do some cold war or modern russians. There's millions of varieties for WW2 Russians but a real shortage of quality moderns in this scale.

Current Bones Count:  Total:  awaiting recount  Painted:  132

#3 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 6232 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

You go boy!!
A miniature venture of mine: http://www.cauldronbornminiatures.com

#4 Hellbeard

Hellbeard

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Niiice. A lot of 1/72 (or 20mm) sculpts I see are badly proportioned and look chunky, but this looks real nice. I'd buy them.

If this works out for you and the company, I hope you get to do some cold war or modern russians. There's millions of varieties for WW2 Russians but a real shortage of quality moderns in this scale.

Thank you, man! That's super nice of you to say. I'll relay your suggestion.

You go boy!!

Thank you :)

Update, session 2 on the next couple of 1:72 Bundeswehr infantry.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Panzer_Engel

Panzer_Engel

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:06 AM

I second the comments on the proportions.

Although, I do have one question. I'm assuming they're all going to have the same rifles, so wouldn't it have been easier, and given more consistent results, to sculpt a single master and cast from that, then use the casts to equip the models?
"Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein. . ."

#6 Hellbeard

Hellbeard

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:06 AM

I second the comments on the proportions.

Although, I do have one question. I'm assuming they're all going to have the same rifles, so wouldn't it have been easier, and given more consistent results, to sculpt a single master and cast from that, then use the casts to equip the models?

Thank you! I'm trying my best to have the figures look true to their scale.

You're right it probably is better; however, I'm not that experienced that my first try on making the rifle is good enough to be the one that everyone uses. Also, I'm impatient and don't want to idle around while the thing makes its way to the producer, gets molded and cast and then sent back to the producer and then all the way back to me. The plan is for after I equip all the guys and have a good technique for making the rifle well I will make one master rifle that will go with the figures and get molded and cast which I will hereafter use. Given that I'm working from reference there shouldn't be THAT much variance between them but I think it will be excusable. If it's a problem I suppose I can always convert the first casts with the master rifle.

#7 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 9637 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

I'm happy to hear you're going to have another shot or two at that rifle; it's a bit soft-looking. The rest of the mini I like a lot! Do you have some reference pics for us?

Naturally, he died because a wizard exploded.

#8 Hellbeard

Hellbeard

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

I'm happy to hear you're going to have another shot or two at that rifle; it's a bit soft-looking. The rest of the mini I like a lot! Do you have some reference pics for us?

Thank you very much!

If by reference you mean more pictures of the miniature you can check out my blog through the link in my signature. There's loads more pictures and step by step progress shots and mad ravings. If you mean pictures of real Bunderswehr modern infantry I mostly got my references through google image search and links from friends.
Updating...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 9637 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:10 AM

Now, I've heard sculptors talk about using brown stuff rather than green stuff to sculpt weapons because it's not as sticky and you can sand it, or something??

#10 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 9637 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:11 AM

I was thinking some of those military-history type illustrations so you can check for things like having the wrong kind of button :P

#11 Hellbeard

Hellbeard

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

Now, I've heard sculptors talk about using brown stuff rather than green stuff to sculpt weapons because it's not as sticky and you can sand it, or something??

Yeah. The G36 armature as it is now is Green Stuff because that will bind to the armature wire. Next I'll use Brown Stuff for the hard edges and "machining".

I was thinking some of those military-history type illustrations so you can check for things like having the wrong kind of button :P

Wish I had some of those. :)

#12 Hellbeard

Hellbeard

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

A little progress.

There's some kind of preparation for a leg drop rig but as it looks I might just carve down and go from there. Not happy with the shoe soles either so they'll probably get a good resculpting at the end. I'll add the cargo pocket later.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 dks

dks

Godlike

• Artists
  • 1034 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

Looking good so far. Some parts of the figures look mushy (not sufficiently crisp/sharp) -- I've constantly struggled with that in my own sculpting. Try using more yellow in your green stuff mix, since more yellow allows the mix to hold sharper details.
You might not need to cut up the first figure for casting. It may be easier for you and everyone (caster and buyers) if you simply add some thickness to the rifle and/or the left side of his chest to close the gap there and allow the figure to be cast as one piece.
The new figure is coming along well and has a good armature, but the first figure (kneeling) has a distinct difference in the lengths of his lower legs. His right lower leg (from knee to heel) is about 10-15% longer than his left lower leg. When the legs are bent as dramatically as this, it can be hard to keep the legs the same length in the final product. You could cut off the right boot and cuff, and resculpt that area to match the length of the left leg.
You could also cut away the outside extent of the base so it uses less metal.
Are you going to add texture to the top of the base?

Derek

#14 Hellbeard

Hellbeard

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

Looking good so far. Some parts of the figures look mushy (not sufficiently crisp/sharp) -- I've constantly struggled with that in my own sculpting. Try using more yellow in your green stuff mix, since more yellow allows the mix to hold sharper details.
You might not need to cut up the first figure for casting. It may be easier for you and everyone (caster and buyers) if you simply add some thickness to the rifle and/or the left side of his chest to close the gap there and allow the figure to be cast as one piece.
The new figure is coming along well and has a good armature, but the first figure (kneeling) has a distinct difference in the lengths of his lower legs. His right lower leg (from knee to heel) is about 10-15% longer than his left lower leg. When the legs are bent as dramatically as this, it can be hard to keep the legs the same length in the final product. You could cut off the right boot and cuff, and resculpt that area to match the length of the left leg.
You could also cut away the outside extent of the base so it uses less metal.
Are you going to add texture to the top of the base?

Derek

Thank you. Yes, I'll try to put an emphasis on the crispness of the details. It's very annoying and if you look at the blog I tried to work on it. I've heard about adding >10% super sculpey. I could also mix in a little brown stuff. I'll try improving it.

Very annoyingly you're right about the leg. It's 0.5mm longer. I'll fix it.

Regarding cutting and saving on metal: haven't had such a request from the producer and I prefer to have higher fidelity in the sculpture. It would also enable the customer to modify his miniatures more.

I've thought about texture one the base but I'm not sure. The buyer will probably want to add his own; wouldn't a smooth base be better for that? If I do texture what should I make it? Do you prefer having textured bases or are they too limiting?

Thanks for the feedback!

#15 dispatchdave

dispatchdave

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1345 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

I've thought about texture one the base but I'm not sure. The buyer will probably want to add his own; wouldn't a smooth base be better for that? If I do texture what should I make it? Do you prefer having textured bases or are they too limiting?

Thanks for the feedback!

I recently acquired some figs from Mega Mini's that had sculpted bases. The only problem I have with them is that their feet are too low, so cutting off the base is difficult if I want to modify it (I ended up cutting off one guy's foot). I think if you have a good distinction between base and foot, you can make a textured base (and anyone who doesn't like it can cut it off).

-Dave

Be a gentleman. It is charming and infuriating, respectively, to exactly the people you want it to be.

My brain is not sick, my brain just is. And sometimes I need a little help to function in a society not designed for my cognition.

-http://wolvensnother...-the-brain?og=1

Hirst Arts Molds: 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 50, 54, 56, 57, 58, 59, 61, 80, 85, 201, 202, 230, 235, 240, 245, 250

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1:72, 20mm, infantry, bundeswehr, g36, green stuff, sculpting, modern

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users