Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LiquidLimn

Woodland Scenic Realistic Water

9 posts in this topic

Greetings everyone,

I was hoping to get everyone's solution for using Woodland Scenics Realistic Water product on your bases. More importantly, I'm hoping to find information about how to keep Realistic Water on a non-recessed base!

So what's your secret to keeping the product on there while not getting a funky concave edge or bulges? Or on a round base?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 person likes this

Haven't used it yet, but ironically bought a pack today with my weekly coupon. I'm interested in any usage tips out there as well.

I used this stuff a lot, my Ice Base tutorial shows how I do.

It's great for small amounts of water but if you're not using a lipped base you're going to need to carve into your base and add something that can hold it or sculpt something that will. Clay will work if you want it to be temporary but you've got to have a really good seal.

1 person likes this

So what's your secret to keeping the product on there while not getting a funky concave edge or bulges?

I'm also looking for this answer. I think a formwork will be required. I’ll probably be using Realistic Water myself on my next scenic base.

There’s some good video about Woodland Scenics on Youtube, I could see interesting ones about Realistic Water effects.

So what's your secret to keeping the product on there while not getting a funky concave edge or bulges?

I'm also looking for this answer. I think a formwork will be required. I’ll probably be using Realistic Water myself on my next scenic base.

There’s some good video about Woodland Scenics on Youtube, I could see interesting ones about Realistic Water effects.

Unfortunately, they only cover using the product in a depression. What I intend to do, is have the product be at the edge of a base. I've found some videos on YouTube that deal with this problem, but because of using a barrier, the realistic water has a tendency to climb up the sides, leaving a concave edge at the barrier. This wouldn't be a big deal when doing a large scale train layout, but for 28mm mini's, it's huge.

1 person likes this

My solution is to use Envirotex Lite.

It is nice to know that there is an alternative product that you can use to make a high gloss finish and wont eat through paint and other modelling compounds.

Unfortunately, that doesn't answer the question of how to keep it on your base. Letting the product run off of the sides as stated in the instruction manual wouldn't work for me, as I'm trying to create "deep" water. I'm going for roughly 1/3"-1/2".

A rather crude solution, but could you try attaching clear overhead projector film in a ring round your base to form a rim, use your water then if possible remove the film... if not, well at least its clear.

1) I wouldn't recommend using Realistic Water for deep water. My information is that it is not stable in the long term and doesn't work well poured deep, even in layers.

2) If you're going to pour deep "water" and have a rectangular base, Legos work well to build a rigid, straight wall. Make sure you cover them with something smooth and fluid tight.

3) That won't stop the meniscus or remove all texture from the edge. For that, you'll need to polish the face and possibly grind or carve the edge.

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Peithetairos
      Just finished a short article for DaggerAndBrush showing you a selection of tools that will come in very handy for pretty much any terrain project. I keep it simple and recommend a number of tools for cutting and measuring; painting, sculpting and engraving; and tools that are nice to have, but not essential.

So if you just started making terrain or intend to make some this may come in handy.

The right tool for the job

• By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/909363677/stronghold-on-the-borderlands?ref=category_newest About this project
                 Stronghold on the Borderlands
      My concept is centered on creating a fort that would exist as a garrison or trading station in a borderland fantasy setting. The idea is developed around the notion of a timber fort being hastily constructed on part/on top of an older ruined stone fortification. I pursued this half-and- half concept so that the fort might also be applicable as a tribal center for barbarian and goblinoid cultures.
                           NOTICE: This item is not intended for children
      NOTICE: This item is being offered and shipped in white resin only, the painted version is for display only.

White Resin Cast                                                     Rewards
       Small Fort version A            Scale in MM                     Reward #3 & #7
      Small Fort (A)  

Small Fort version B           Scale in MM                    Reward #4 & #8
      Small Fort (B)  

Medium Fort                       Scale in MM                      Reward #5 & #9
      Medium Fort  
            Large Fort                        Scale in MM                     Reward #6 & #10 
      Large Fort  

Design and Manufacture
      The initial  design and construction of this fort uses both 3d Printing and hand sculpted methods. All silicon rubber molds are properly degassed and manufacture will involve pressure casting plastic resin to 50lbs. I will use smooth cast 300 from smooth-on. It is a well known plastic resin and very friendly to modelers who want to make hand modifications to the pieces. 
                                             Packaging and Shipping
      Your structure will arrive in the box that is featured in the image below  regardless of what size fort you order,
      Packaging        This box will also contain all pieces related to Stretch Goal Awards, Add-ons, and Digital Designs on USB. There will not be any additional packing support in the box but All products will be wrapped in 1/4 inch cell bubble wrap. All orders will be shipped in a USPS medium flat rate 2-3 day Priority or international priority. Unless requested otherwise, all domestic products will ship with signature confirmation.  
                                                  Stretch Goal Awards
      Stretch Goal Awards  The stretch goal awards for this project involve small stone ruins, The sum of all awards should give you enough pieces to imply a foundation of a ruined building. The ruined stair design is the correct height for use with the walls of the main fortification. The finished models will not vary significantly from the dimensions shown here but details will be enhanced and tweaked.
      Stretch Goal Awards Assembled
    • By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/847530101/future-worlds-modular-sci-fi-terrain-for-28mm-figu?ref=category_newest
      Future Worlds Modular Sci-Fri Terrain for 3D printers is fast and flexible enabling rapid building of unique and complex terrain.
      About this project
      I've been playing role playing games, tabletop skirmish and wargames for nearly twenty years. I've been building and designing scenery for nearly that long. I've always found something magical about the miniature world and narrative created on the barren wastes of the kitchen table, broken by the rocky outcrops of painted polystyrene or the depths of space conjured up by a piece of MDF painted black and speckled with white using (someone else's) toothbrush and paint.
      A table with great scenery looks amazing and even non-gamers are drawn to them. But not everyone has the time or the inclination to scratch build scenery - and quite often scratch built scenery has the unfortunate tendency to be fragile and nothing breaks the gaming mood quite like desperately super gluing something together mid game.
      So, what does the Future Worlds Kickstarter have to offer? Simply, great looking, economical and sturdy scenery. With the advent of affordable, high resolution, three dimensional printers it's now possible for me to provide you with high quality three dimensional modular designs which can be printed over and over again. Want just a small compound? Easy. Want an entire table filled with a maze of corridors, service ways and access hatches? Print them up! After the small initial outlay for a set, you have all the designs required to make any size installation you want, from small and simple to huge and complicated. Just print pieces as needed - and all from only cents per piece.
      The Future Worlds Sci-Fi modular scenery project offers three distinct styles of modular walls and floors:

Completed High Tech Sections  

Completed Industrial Sections  

Steampunk Prototypes - designs to be confirmed All sets are interchangeable, giving you the ability to further customize the look and feel of your layout with pieces that not only look great and are built to last, but with a simple, and rugged clip together system, can be set up in moments.
    • By Pegazus
      One little trick I picked up quite some time ago was to make a nail polish water bath. One can swirl together different colors, then apply it to a model to get interesting affects. I'd tried it on a couple of sprues of Bones material, but never was inspired to actually use the technique. This last weekend, I was shopping with the family and wandered into Hot Topic, where they had several interesting nail polishes. And so, I bought three different bottles, but I'll be using only one of them here, a red and black mottled polish in clear.

Let's start with the basics. A completely unwashed, unprimed Gnomic, and a quick shot of the actual nail polish.

The polish was dropped into the water bath by putting a lot of excess liquid on the nail brush. For the water bath itself, I am using an old lunch meat container. It's silly, but the lunch meat comes in a little bag, packaged in these little containers. It's my standard every day work lunch, so I've got a lot of them. Ruining one will not matter to me. The polish itself, I was a bit disappointed in. I was hoping for pink flakes in a black base color polish, but it turns out the polish base is clear, and it is pink and black flakes. Oh well, have to roll with that then.

Now, when the drop is put in, it'll either sink to the bottom, where it becomes useless, or float on top of the water and start expanding. It sort of flows out over the surface, in almost a 2D explosion. I think the top surface then rapidly dries, but for a while at least, the polish is sandwiched between the upper dry layer and the water underneath. Here's where the magic happens. In an open part of the water, I dip the model piece down, then bring it up underneath the puddle of polish floating on the surface. It will wrap itself around the part, forming a film of sorts. I then set the part aside and work on another.

I'd coated most of the parts, and decided that I didn't have enough variety in color. Really, I probably could have used an old toothbrush to splatter paint over the figure and get just as decent a look. However, since I planned from the beginning to make this a WIP/Technique thread, I wanted something that shows off the technique a little better. Since I have a small collection of dollar store polishes for just such a purpose, I grabbed a red one. Same process as the mottled polish, but when it spreads out, it makes just a small to large puddle. It To the rescue, a toothpick!

I already had one that I was using to clean out the little clear polish puddles that were left floating. Another was pressed into service and used to swirl the red (now pinkish) puddle into something more streaky. This took a little work to get just right, but I was left with little streaks of color over the CAV. It turned a bit more purple/pink than red. I also tried a little bit of white, but I didn't like it nearly as much. The results are below, drying on top of the now empty water bath container.

The plan forward is to brush off any poorly adhered film, and to remove any film where it has bridged a gap. I'll soon paint the crew's windows, and pick out a few little details here and there, but the "base" coloring in nail polish is complete. From decision to actually do this to the state you see above was about 45 minutes. If I had remembered how to do this a little better, it could have been less time and a little better placement of the coloring.
    • By Jasper_the_2nd
      So while I still don't have any Burrows and Badgers figures completed (the Shrew-zerker just needs his base finished, so almost....) I did finish the first 4 pieces of terrain.

These are part of a large set of resin cast pieces Jo sculpted for the first Burrows and Badgers Kickstarter called The Ambush the Camp terrain set. Lovely pieces.
      I went for a simple tabletop paint job, lots of washes and drybrushing.  I expect these to see a lot of use in both B&B and hopefully Frostgrave so wanted something I could fix up if it got scuffed or marked up.
      I may go back and add some bits of moss or other basing once I get all my basing stuff sorted again; its in a bunch of piles from moving rooms. 

• Who's Online   44 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)