Sign in to follow this  

Greetings everyone,

I was hoping to get everyone's solution for using Woodland Scenics Realistic Water product on your bases. More importantly, I'm hoping to find information about how to keep Realistic Water on a non-recessed base!

So what's your secret to keeping the product on there while not getting a funky concave edge or bulges? Or on a round base?

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Like 1

Haven't used it yet, but ironically bought a pack today with my weekly coupon. I'm interested in any usage tips out there as well.

I used this stuff a lot, my Ice Base tutorial shows how I do.

It's great for small amounts of water but if you're not using a lipped base you're going to need to carve into your base and add something that can hold it or sculpt something that will. Clay will work if you want it to be temporary but you've got to have a really good seal.

• Like 1

So what's your secret to keeping the product on there while not getting a funky concave edge or bulges?

I'm also looking for this answer. I think a formwork will be required. I’ll probably be using Realistic Water myself on my next scenic base.

There’s some good video about Woodland Scenics on Youtube, I could see interesting ones about Realistic Water effects.

So what's your secret to keeping the product on there while not getting a funky concave edge or bulges?

I'm also looking for this answer. I think a formwork will be required. I’ll probably be using Realistic Water myself on my next scenic base.

There’s some good video about Woodland Scenics on Youtube, I could see interesting ones about Realistic Water effects.

Unfortunately, they only cover using the product in a depression. What I intend to do, is have the product be at the edge of a base. I've found some videos on YouTube that deal with this problem, but because of using a barrier, the realistic water has a tendency to climb up the sides, leaving a concave edge at the barrier. This wouldn't be a big deal when doing a large scale train layout, but for 28mm mini's, it's huge.

• Like 1

My solution is to use Envirotex Lite.

It is nice to know that there is an alternative product that you can use to make a high gloss finish and wont eat through paint and other modelling compounds.

Unfortunately, that doesn't answer the question of how to keep it on your base. Letting the product run off of the sides as stated in the instruction manual wouldn't work for me, as I'm trying to create "deep" water. I'm going for roughly 1/3"-1/2".

A rather crude solution, but could you try attaching clear overhead projector film in a ring round your base to form a rim, use your water then if possible remove the film... if not, well at least its clear.

1) I wouldn't recommend using Realistic Water for deep water. My information is that it is not stable in the long term and doesn't work well poured deep, even in layers.

2) If you're going to pour deep "water" and have a rectangular base, Legos work well to build a rigid, straight wall. Make sure you cover them with something smooth and fluid tight.

3) That won't stop the meniscus or remove all texture from the edge. For that, you'll need to polish the face and possibly grind or carve the edge.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Boaz
       That right guys and gals their not just for wedding cakes ... I like to fill mine with expanding foam (when I have a few foam projects lined up, the can of foam never works for me later so it's a use it or lose it) chop em up (once dry) and butter the ends with something rough and stout (I used flexall) ... a few examples from a city set I was working on before I moved (still unfinnished) ...

cities abound in hard cover so it's mostly for looks, nice looks but looks ... in a jungle or desert set it's a great way to add hard cover and have an overgrown lost temple (jungle) or lost oasis side ruins (desert) ... it's a simple and straight forward technique to add just the right sized cover in just about any table set you got ...

I got a large bag of them fairly cheap at a craft store (Michesls) a great value for the buck.

P.S. the Grey rubble is old model sprew rum through an old hand crank meat grinder ... who knew modeling could be so much fun !
    • By Boaz
       Started building a Kulathi battle force and colony outpost for their Kuden-3 outpost, in the Beehive star cluster, in the crab nebula ... 

Having 3 fingers a hand and 6 limbs the number system fore the Kulathi is based on 6 ... with 2,3 and 4 also prominent, so I based there units on 6 ...

An officer (2 pistols = smg) 3 left hand smg and 2 right hand automatic rifles make a strike team ... no other unit types teams can exceed the number of strike teams.

The fire team has 1 officer 1 smg and 4 auto rifles ... a longer ranged bite.

I'm also adding a few hound of Tindalos units (4 with 1 smg and 1 officer kulathi) with bigger things in the works ...

• By SGHawkins09
      The official arrival/departure thread for Round 2 of the Basing Edition of the Box of Goodwill.

PLEASE make sure to post when you receive the box and when you send it off.

Remember, NO CHATTER, chatter thread is here:

Box of Goodwill, Basing Edition Round 2 - Chatter Thread

SGHawkins09 - sent 2/16
      Keianna - arrived 2/20, sent 2/27
      Sylverthorne - arrived 3/1, sent 3/9
      NecroMancer - arrived 3/12, sent 3/15
      hungerfan - arrived 3/18, sent 3/23
      Ulfheathen - arrived 3/26, sent 4/2
      Aryanun - arrived 4/4, 
      hiddenone32
      Clearman
      Guildenstern
      Shadowphaze
      Generic Fighter
      Dilvish the Deliverer

Dilvish the Deliverer - sent 2/26
      Wyvernfire - arrived 2/27, sent 3/10
      Chaoswolf - arrived 3/12, sent 3/26
      Knarthex - arrived 3/28, sent 4/13
      Paradoxical Mouse - arrived 4/16
      Dragoneye
      Kangaroorex
      Fire_Eyes
      Keianna
      Pegazus
      SparrowMarie
      LittleBluberry
      SGHawkins09

Only two groups this time and they are fairly large so make sure to keep the boxes moving. Also you may notice Keianna is listed in both groups, this is intentional as she did not receive a box last time.
    • By Brianuk
      Inspired by getting the docks done I did some more work on an unfinished watchtower project. 
      It is a hexagonal pencil pot that I sawed in half. I put in balsa supports then layered coffee stirrers for the roof. 
      To defend it I have added foam core board annexes either side of the door. 
      I need to figure out how to do a lip all around the upper part (which will lift off) to disguise the joins. 
      For the door I am probably just going to stick some magnetic material to the back of a couple of one sided resin doors so there can be a broken and unbroken option. 
      Will paint or stick on the other doors and arrow slits. 
      I haven't put it on a hill, wanted it to be versatile so a fairly limited wooden base. Will landscape it but keep it relatively flat. 
      Will also add the ability to stick in artillery, I have the dwarf organ gun from Mantic and think that would be ideal as a 'deck gun'. 

• By Brianuk
      Have been stealing coffee stirrers for a while and thought I should disguise them. 

This is a modular set of docks for pirate settings/City docks, ghost archipelago. All I did was make platforms of various heights with layers of foam core board. Then Iaid cross pieces and laid the decks on top, just using different thicknesses of coffee stirrers. The stanchions are just pva glued to the side of the foam core, under the decks rather than showing above them. I painted the foam core black and am painting the wood using the Crafting Muse video on YouTube as a guide. I won't be basing these. 
      The boat is a lucky find. It is a decoupage model ocean liner. I cut the top off and had a curved boat shape 15cm / 6" long and perfect for 8 models. Only £1.25 on sale. All I did was lay a deck of coffee stirrers then took some of the bits I cut off and glued them back on to the sides. Painted like the Dock. I don't want to add seats, mast, similar detail to this model to maximise how many based minis can stand in it. 

• Who's Online   11 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)