• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tranquil Ape

Tranquil Ape

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

Well, first time someone came to me to ask me to paint something for them. I've found it on the Paizo website but not sure if it was manufactured by Reaper or not. Was a fun piece to paint although I was going for a brassy look on the rifle and think I missed. It turned out ok just a little different than I was aiming for.

Sorry about the lack of background, I finished him up this morning and had to run out the door to deliver him to the client (we were running in a game together today)

And, as always, please don't hesitate to critique my work...

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0909.jpg
  • DSC_0908.jpg
  • DSC_0912.jpg

• klyons99 and Karl2642 like this
-------------------------------------
Formerly known as "D"rayla

My CMON gallery

#2 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1930 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:44 AM

I like what you've done very much and think your client will be very pleased!

My only critique, I think you might have misplaced your highlights on the leather apron in the front. He's holding out that big bangstick in front of him, and I think it would cast enough of an overhead shadow so as to darken the apron from his belt to about halfway down, and then the highlights would actually begin progressing toward the bottom of the apron.

#3 Tranquil Ape

Tranquil Ape

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

I thought about this after I had done it... I was so focused on doing a good job that I neglected to stop and think about what I was doing.. He had specific ideas about the coloring and such and I'm happy win it mostly... I might have had darker gloves or gun-stock too to add a little contrast

My CMON gallery

#4 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1930 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:08 AM

The green has a nice cooling effect. I think you did great!

I might also suggest a couple of bright straight streaks across each of the lenses of his glasses to give that 'glass' look to them.

#5 Last Knight

Last Knight

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Bones Supporter
  • 3689 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

That is a pretty awesome sculpt, I think your paint job does it justice. ::):
Happiness is just a word to me
And it might have meant a thing or two
If I'd known the difference
Emptiness, a lonely parody
And my life, another smokin' gun
A sign of my indifference...

-Seatbelts, "Gotta Knock A Little Harder"

I pretty much agree with everything that Last Knight said.

#6 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• Members
  • 6424 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

I wouldn't change the gun stock at all, that wood grain is awesome.

#7 Tranquil Ape

Tranquil Ape

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

The green has a nice cooling effect. I think you did great!

I might also suggest a couple of bright straight streaks across each of the lenses of his glasses to give that 'glass' look to them.

lol, funny you mention that. I was originally trying to only get the gray down in the lower corner of each lens to look sort of 'coke-bottle-ish' but I must have been hungry or had too much coffee, i couldn't keep my hand steady enough. maybe i should try painting with a magnifier or something

My CMON gallery

#8 PaizoCEO

PaizoCEO

• Bones Supporter
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:07 AM

"I've found it on the Paizo website but not sure if it was manufactured by Reaper or not."

First off, great job on painting the mini. Looks awesome!

Secondly, the Janderhoff Wandrifler is not a Reaper mini. It is from a time in Paizo's early history where we tried to make a run at being a miniatures company. We did a series of products called Compleat Encounters where you got three miniatures and a mini-adventure. Around the same time, we did miniatures for us with Monte Cook's Ptolus campaign. That is where the Wandrifler originally came from. When the Ptolus contract came to a close, we took the miniatures that we had made there and found a place for them in our new Golarion campaign setting. And thus was the Janderhoff Wandrifler born!

As for Paizo doing minis, we found it a lot harder going than we thought it would be. When we had first announced our miniatures line, Ed from Reaper sent me an email saying something to the effect of, "Why the heck didn't you ask us to make your miniatures for you?" Our reply was a sheepish, "Ummm, we didn't know you were interested." So when we decided that making a line of miniatures was a lot harder than it looked, we called Ed up and thus was the Pathfinder line at Reaper born. We put our old line of miniatures up on paizo.com and that was the end of that.

Glad you enjoyed painting the piece!

-Lisa Stevens
CEO
Paizo Publishing
  • Adrift, dwarvenranger and klyons99 like this

#9 Tranquil Ape

Tranquil Ape

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 238 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

Yea, this one was a lot of fun... I actually want to pick one up for myself. I much appreciate the background information. Always great to hear stories from the trenches.

My CMON gallery

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dwarf, gunslinger, pathfinder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users