paintminion

(30014) The Grudge - Dwarf Bust, PaintMinion's WIP

10 posts in this topic

I started a FB page for my PaintMinion painting stuff, but figured as I was working on a Reaper piece, it was only fair to post it here as well for Reaper peeps to see. I have been working on this piece about 3 sessions now, and it's coming along nicely, but still a ways to go. It's a fun piece, though that hair - grrrrrr.

There are some really good paint jobs out there on this, and I have seen a couple in person - I was inspired by Michael Proctor's, and so I grabbed one for myself at a ReaperCon a couple years back (thanks to Reaper Ron!). I finally am taking the time to work on it with the coming Hobbit film making me really like dwarves again. :blush:

The other aspect to working on this is that I finally bought a new camera - Nikon Coolpix L810 - and I am playing with different aspects of it and how to edit.

Comment if you like - this, and a historical piece I am also working on, are my first real busts to try. Some of the painting aspects are the same, but a lot of it is just learning to look at it in a slightly different way as it is so much bigger. Smooth blending becomes a necessity! Tones/shades have more play room. And I need to work on those eyes...more on the hair as I am adding white streaks to age him. Higher highlights on the face and some more color added there, I will tweak the shoulder pad color once I am done with the rest and see which way the color needs to shift,

I will try and post a few pics as I go along - so get out those Grudge Busts and get painting! I could not find nearly enough pics out there on the net!

post-1042-0-37227000-1352122500_thumb.jpg

5 people like this

For some reason, searching "PaintMinion" on Facebook took me to your personal entry - no sign of the page. Fortunately, since you'd "Liked" it yourself and your interests are public, I was able to find it from there. ::): A direct link, for others interested: https://www.facebook.com/pages/PaintMinion/404490006283923

Enjoying your work thus far, and looking forward to seeing more.

For some reason, searching "PaintMinion" on Facebook took me to your personal entry - no sign of the page. Fortunately, since you'd "Liked" it yourself and your interests are public, I was able to find it from there. ::): A direct link, for others interested: https://www.facebook...404490006283923

Enjoying your work thus far, and looking forward to seeing more.

Thank you for adding the link...my daughter searched and found it...listed as a "Page - Artist" so not sure why different folks are getting different results?

... not sure why different folks are getting different results?

Facebook is evil.

... not sure why different folks are getting different results?

Facebook is evil.

Ah. I had almost forgotten that...

okay, 3rd session with Grudge, worked more on the hair...had contemplated doing streaks of white, but no matter what I did, I didn't like it so just went back to the reddish brown. Did some more highlights and glazes on the skin, added some black to the deeper shadows in the hair, and started picking out all the hairbands and trinkets, earrings, etc with some basecoat to help figure out what will be which colors.

post-1042-0-57433900-1352570538_thumb.jpg

post-1042-0-30069700-1352571221_thumb.jpgpost-1042-0-00394100-1352571256_thumb.jpg

3 people like this

Truly beautiful work! I love the hair. I think reds and yellows would look nice as beads in the beard. Is that carving in the middle frog or bear? Anyway, it would look great as a jade carving.

Well, you might think I totally forgot about Grudge, left it to gather dust on a back shelf somewhere, but really, our family went through some very heard times the past 6 months and more, and stuff had to get sidelined.

So although it is suppose to be done for ReaperCon, it's not. It is, however, much further along! I will post finals after the Con, but here's the more recent pics. More done on the hair trinkets, face, hair, armor, nobby bits...sigh. Really, all I can see is there is so much more to do before ReaperCon!

Enjoy! Comments and Crits welcome!

post-1042-0-86747300-1366032611_thumb.jpg

post-1042-0-40411300-1366032734_thumb.jpg

post-1042-0-76965400-1366032670_thumb.jpg

2 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pingo
      This is Reaper's 02480, Sabertooth Tiger, sculpted by Jason Wiebe. It's a nice muscular rendition of the Ice Age critter.

This is my standard priming, with a thin coat of Titanium White paint (Golden matte fluid acrylic) and a wash of Burnt Umber afterwards.

It reminds me of a lynx in general aspect, so I plan to paint it with more or less a lynx's coloration.

The first thing I did was paint a sickly green, mixed from Yellow Ochre and Carbon Blck, over the base.  I like to paint thinly enough so underlayers show through, to make things look more realistic.  This works well for fur too.

... I couldn't help but notice that that skull underneath the creature is mighty small.  Like, child sized.

Next:  Fur!
    • By tiniest rhombus
      Legion of Justice and Caeke
      Shoatima 01429, Frumitty 01428, Platypod 01427, Echidnox 01424,

The Baddies
      Spikeshell 77270, Frogmen 03146

All the figures were sculpted by the wonderful Jason Wiebe. Except teh Caeke, that was sculpted by me. Yes it's huge, we'll call it hooman sized. :-)

Please forgive the edges of the background. I will retake pics once my photo backdrop gets here but these will do for now. The WIP can be found here http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/62120-tiniest-paints-caeke/

• By CoolAliasHere
      I've seen this mini painted many times, often in a green or purplish color scheme.  I decided to go with something that I felt was a little more underwater like.  His skin is very muddy, and I tried to stay away from the typical greens.  I did, however, end going with some green on him, and I feel like he came out really well.  This was also my first time using Reaper Brown Liner.  I am addicted!

There is a full WIP on my CoolAliasHere Miniatures facebook page.  As always, C&C is welcome.

PS - still not sure what I am going to do with the base, so for now it's must painted as a bit of burned stone.

CAH
    • By Guindyloo
      So on facebook in December, a few of us took to doing a daily art challenge for the entire month inspired by Morihalda and her awesomely inspiring dedication to pursuing her art <3 I think Bathory started it and CashWiley started calling it the Morihalda Challenge (if I'm remembering correctly) and my dedication to it was to paint every day for at least 10 minutes. I was able to keep it going for the entire month and once we got into the new year, I decided to keep it going. I don't typically believe in making New Years resolutions, but dedicating myself to painting and/or mini related hobbying for at least 10 minutes every day seemed not only doable but like something that I really wanted to do. I'm passionate about painting and improving my painting and you can't improve without practice and discipline. I have thus painted every day since December 1st and I hope to keep painting every day for as long as possible.

The Resolutionary Painting Challenge http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/72577-resolutionary-painting-challenge-2017-chatterquestions/was something that I often saw people posting in and about on the forum, but I never thought that I could join in because I wasn't painting as much before and I paint pretty slowly. However, for this year, NomadZeke made the challenges bi-monthly, which I think reduces some pressure on meeting the quota and now that I'm painting more, even though I still paint slowly, I'm more likely to be able to finish a lot more and it gives me something extra to work toward.
      On top of that, I've always seen the bonus challenges from the RPChallenge and thought that they sounded like a lot of fun and as much as I'm dedicated to practice and discipline, I never ever want to forget that I paint because it's fun. Sometimes I put too much pressure on myself to paint something well and I get all stressed out about it and I just need to let it go and have fun.

So finger painting a mini? Yes, please. I knew exactly which figure I wanted to paint for it because I thought that all of the deep recesses would help me to get good contrast. I discovered very quickly that although that was true, it also made it very tricky to get paint into the deep recesses in the first place! So as I always do with Bones figures, I started out with Brown Liner. I had to thin it enough to get it to flow into all of the deep recesses. I should have thinned it more though because what I ended up with was WAY too much paint on the figure - so much that it took a couple of hours for it to dry completely. Once it dried, however, I made sure that I did a better job of controlling my paint consistency so that it would run where I wanted it to, but not all over the place. I did some unintentional wetblending, which turned into intentional wetblending. So much drying time!

I think he turned out pretty great, what do y'all think?

• By canuckotter
      I am declaring victory!

This is my Khanjira. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my doom. I must master it as I must master my death. Without me my Khanjira is mildly peckish.

... wait, that's something else.  

Started on Boxing Day, and didn't get a bunch of time to work on it a few of the days, but I managed to grind it out. There's definitely room for improvement, but my goal was to get it to the point where I can put it on the table during a game and be happy about it, and I've achieved that. I do still want to put it on a more rigid base (I'll probably do up a fancy piece of MDF at some point) but that's not required for the goblin challenge and I needed to get this thing off my elfing desk so I can work on something else.  

Dunno what else to say... Any questions?
  • Who's Online   18 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)