paintminion

(30014) The Grudge - Dwarf Bust, PaintMinion's WIP

10 posts in this topic

I started a FB page for my PaintMinion painting stuff, but figured as I was working on a Reaper piece, it was only fair to post it here as well for Reaper peeps to see. I have been working on this piece about 3 sessions now, and it's coming along nicely, but still a ways to go. It's a fun piece, though that hair - grrrrrr.

There are some really good paint jobs out there on this, and I have seen a couple in person - I was inspired by Michael Proctor's, and so I grabbed one for myself at a ReaperCon a couple years back (thanks to Reaper Ron!). I finally am taking the time to work on it with the coming Hobbit film making me really like dwarves again. :blush:

The other aspect to working on this is that I finally bought a new camera - Nikon Coolpix L810 - and I am playing with different aspects of it and how to edit.

Comment if you like - this, and a historical piece I am also working on, are my first real busts to try. Some of the painting aspects are the same, but a lot of it is just learning to look at it in a slightly different way as it is so much bigger. Smooth blending becomes a necessity! Tones/shades have more play room. And I need to work on those eyes...more on the hair as I am adding white streaks to age him. Higher highlights on the face and some more color added there, I will tweak the shoulder pad color once I am done with the rest and see which way the color needs to shift,

I will try and post a few pics as I go along - so get out those Grudge Busts and get painting! I could not find nearly enough pics out there on the net!

post-1042-0-37227000-1352122500_thumb.jpg

5 people like this

For some reason, searching "PaintMinion" on Facebook took me to your personal entry - no sign of the page. Fortunately, since you'd "Liked" it yourself and your interests are public, I was able to find it from there. ::): A direct link, for others interested: https://www.facebook.com/pages/PaintMinion/404490006283923

Enjoying your work thus far, and looking forward to seeing more.

For some reason, searching "PaintMinion" on Facebook took me to your personal entry - no sign of the page. Fortunately, since you'd "Liked" it yourself and your interests are public, I was able to find it from there. ::): A direct link, for others interested: https://www.facebook...404490006283923

Enjoying your work thus far, and looking forward to seeing more.

Thank you for adding the link...my daughter searched and found it...listed as a "Page - Artist" so not sure why different folks are getting different results?

... not sure why different folks are getting different results?

Facebook is evil.

... not sure why different folks are getting different results?

Facebook is evil.

Ah. I had almost forgotten that...

okay, 3rd session with Grudge, worked more on the hair...had contemplated doing streaks of white, but no matter what I did, I didn't like it so just went back to the reddish brown. Did some more highlights and glazes on the skin, added some black to the deeper shadows in the hair, and started picking out all the hairbands and trinkets, earrings, etc with some basecoat to help figure out what will be which colors.

post-1042-0-57433900-1352570538_thumb.jpg

post-1042-0-30069700-1352571221_thumb.jpgpost-1042-0-00394100-1352571256_thumb.jpg

3 people like this

Truly beautiful work! I love the hair. I think reds and yellows would look nice as beads in the beard. Is that carving in the middle frog or bear? Anyway, it would look great as a jade carving.

Well, you might think I totally forgot about Grudge, left it to gather dust on a back shelf somewhere, but really, our family went through some very heard times the past 6 months and more, and stuff had to get sidelined.

So although it is suppose to be done for ReaperCon, it's not. It is, however, much further along! I will post finals after the Con, but here's the more recent pics. More done on the hair trinkets, face, hair, armor, nobby bits...sigh. Really, all I can see is there is so much more to do before ReaperCon!

Enjoy! Comments and Crits welcome!

post-1042-0-86747300-1366032611_thumb.jpg

post-1042-0-40411300-1366032734_thumb.jpg

post-1042-0-76965400-1366032670_thumb.jpg

2 people like this