• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Loim

Loim

Sir Stupidly Special

• Bones Supporter
  • 2029 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

I have an excellent friend who introduced me to the works of Fritz Leiber in Junior High. Due to geography and responsibility we don't get to hang out or talk much anymore. I would like to paint a small diorama of Leiber's two most extraordinary rogues for him as a gift, and I am asking all of you for your suggestions on what minis to use for them.

Thanks in advance.

En Taro Tassadar, Executor. - Artanis

In the house of upside down

Cellar's top floor, attic's ground

Laughing cries, and smiles frown

Found is lost, and lost is found

#2 Corporea

Corporea

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1970 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

maybe this or this for Fafhrd. And this for the gray mouser?
oh, you mean I can put stuff here?  cool!  now to think of something...

#3 Inarah

Inarah

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3884 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

Fafnir: http://www.reapermin...afnir/a-z/02152
~It's not broken.... it's a conversion. ~

"I got my brother and his six year old hooked last week. They were soon back at the friendly local for more. Starts with a cute lil unicorn, next thing you're onto griffins and purple worms." ~ Carnacki the Ghost Finder

#4 haldir

haldir

I Don't Look Like My Avatar

• Bones Supporter
  • 12424 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

That was the first mini that came to mind when I saw the title ^_^ GM type of mini is around that number as well IIRC.
Here we go, always thought this one was pretty good one, epically if you team him up with Fafnir & look at the TSR Lankhmar adventure cover:

http://www.reapermin...y/4/02022_G.jpg

TSR cover

http://damianov.file...nkhmarcover.jpg

RM
Posted Image Posted Image Oh what the hell-- Posted Image

ReaperCon goer since 2005!

"The Road Goes Ever On......

"Lop that mutt's nards off spike! " orcsoul

#5 Bruunwald

Bruunwald

Godlike

• Members
  • 1290 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

I have an excellent friend who introduced me to the works of Fritz Leiber in Junior High. Due to geography and responsibility we don't get to hang out or talk much anymore. I would like to paint a small diorama of Leiber's two most extraordinary rogues for him as a gift, and I am asking all of you for your suggestions on what minis to use for them.

Thanks in advance.

That IS a good friend, and so are you.

I love those guys.
CreepyTown Miniatures is now on Facebook!
www.creepytownminis.com

#6 Bonwirn

Bonwirn

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 652 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

Oh, man does that bring bak memories! I remember reading those in high school, but forgot who the author was. Thanks for the reminder. Now I just need to resist the temptation to order them from Amazon.
Buglips is my Hero! Now if I could only find a theme song....

Headed to Reapercon 2014? Interested in Hirst Arts tiles, dungeons or buildings? Send me a PM to discuss options!

#7 dks

dks

Godlike

• Artists
  • 1034 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

Agreed. I painted this figure with red-blond hair and beard on purpose. :;):
For the Mouser... I'll second @haldir's suggestion of 02022, or 02034 or 02425. You may have to resign yourself to swapping the figure's dagger for a rapier (Scalpel) -- or even using some clever skill to draw and lengthen the pewter dagger into a longer blade -- since I don't see a Mouser-like rogue/thief with a rapier.
Coincidentally, I'm rereading the Lankhmar collections (three hardcovers published by White Wolf around 1996). I had forgotten the plots and the quality of the writing. @Bonwirn: Don't resist. Buy and reread.

Derek

#8 Loim

Loim

Sir Stupidly Special

• Bones Supporter
  • 2029 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

@ Everyone thanks for your suggestions. I very much agree that Fafnir is perfect. Sadly I have a love-hate relationship with SG sculpts, I love them, they hate me. I can't ever seem to get the eyes (too tiny).

@DKS I agree, Mouser must absolutely have Scalpel (and Cat's Claw). I actually have the same books from White Wolf.

My interpretation of these two will always be colored by my first encounter with them, in the 1st Edition Deities and Demigods handbook, in the Newhon Mythos section.

En Taro Tassadar, Executor. - Artanis

Cellar's top floor, attic's ground

Laughing cries, and smiles frown

Found is lost, and lost is found

#9 TGP

TGP

Godlike

• Members
  • 1293 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:49 PM

Good times reading those books. Fafnir is a win.

What about _60053_ for the Mouser?

He has a basket-hilted weapon that could be Scalpel but the blade might be a little thick. The other hand is open and free of the body and could probably be converted to hold a dagger pretty easily.

The post with all the Scales.   The post with Base Sizes.

/forum/index.php?/topic/25000-reapers-official-position-on-paint-and-proxy/#entry366031

/forum/index.php?/topic/31075-creating-freelance-armies/#entry463326

#10 Doug Sundseth

Doug Sundseth

Godlike

• Members
  • 3000 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

If you have a hilt that works, turning a sword into a rapier is pretty trivial:

1) Cut the existing sword blade off flush with the hilt.

2) Cut a piece of brass rod to length and use a grinder to sharpen the point.

3) Drill a hole in the hilt for the rod.

4) Glue the rod in place.

#11 TGP

TGP

Godlike

• Members
  • 1293 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

That was the first mini that came to mind when I saw the title ^_^ GM type of mini is around that number as well IIRC.
Here we go, always thought this one was pretty good one, epically if you team him up with Fafnir & look at the TSR Lankhmar adventure cover:

http://www.reapermin...y/4/02022_G.jpg

TSR cover

http://damianov.file...nkhmarcover.jpg

RM

Good times reading those books. Fafnir is a win.

What about _60053_ for the Mouser?

He has a basket-hilted weapon that could be Scalpel but the blade might be a little thick. The other hand is open and free of the body and could probably be converted to hold a dagger pretty easily.

60053 and the TSR cover match two ways: similar style of sword for the Mouser (and at least partly canonical: Scalpel is called a "curved blade" in Lean Times in Lanhkmar) and both show the Mouser as using Scalpel in the right hand. But that raises a question:

Was the Mouser left-handed?

Edit: Found this on TMP (The Miniatures Page):
Posted Image
Notice what they did with Fafnir to help him look like he is 7 feet tall? --^--
The guy on the left is Torin the Thief with a weapon conversion much like Doug suggested.

The post with all the Scales.   The post with Base Sizes.

/forum/index.php?/topic/25000-reapers-official-position-on-paint-and-proxy/#entry366031

/forum/index.php?/topic/31075-creating-freelance-armies/#entry463326

#12 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 14210 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

I used him as my mouser He has a very faint moustache which is very easy to scrape off. Mouser always liked the finer things, so the fancy clothes under the drab cloak is perfect.

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users