Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Loim

Fafhrd and The Gray Mouser

12 posts in this topic

I have an excellent friend who introduced me to the works of Fritz Leiber in Junior High. Due to geography and responsibility we don't get to hang out or talk much anymore. I would like to paint a small diorama of Leiber's two most extraordinary rogues for him as a gift, and I am asking all of you for your suggestions on what minis to use for them.

Thanks in advance.

That was the first mini that came to mind when I saw the title ^_^ GM type of mini is around that number as well IIRC.

Here we go, always thought this one was pretty good one, epically if you team him up with Fafnir & look at the TSR Lankhmar adventure cover:

http://www.reapermin...y/4/02022_G.jpg

TSR cover

http://damianov.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/lankhmarcover.jpg

RM

I have an excellent friend who introduced me to the works of Fritz Leiber in Junior High. Due to geography and responsibility we don't get to hang out or talk much anymore. I would like to paint a small diorama of Leiber's two most extraordinary rogues for him as a gift, and I am asking all of you for your suggestions on what minis to use for them.

Thanks in advance.

That IS a good friend, and so are you.

I love those guys.

Oh, man does that bring bak memories! I remember reading those in high school, but forgot who the author was. Thanks for the reminder. Now I just need to resist the temptation to order them from Amazon.

Agreed. I painted this figure with red-blond hair and beard on purpose. :;):

For the Mouser... I'll second @haldir's suggestion of 02022, or 02034 or 02425. You may have to resign yourself to swapping the figure's dagger for a rapier (Scalpel) -- or even using some clever skill to draw and lengthen the pewter dagger into a longer blade -- since I don't see a Mouser-like rogue/thief with a rapier.

Coincidentally, I'm rereading the Lankhmar collections (three hardcovers published by White Wolf around 1996). I had forgotten the plots and the quality of the writing. @Bonwirn: Don't resist. Buy and reread.

Derek

1 person likes this

@ Everyone thanks for your suggestions. I very much agree that Fafnir is perfect. Sadly I have a love-hate relationship with SG sculpts, I love them, they hate me. I can't ever seem to get the eyes (too tiny).

@DKS I agree, Mouser must absolutely have Scalpel (and Cat's Claw). I actually have the same books from White Wolf.

My interpretation of these two will always be colored by my first encounter with them, in the 1st Edition Deities and Demigods handbook, in the Newhon Mythos section.

Good times reading those books. Fafnir is a win.

What about _60053_ for the Mouser?

He has a basket-hilted weapon that could be Scalpel but the blade might be a little thick. The other hand is open and free of the body and could probably be converted to hold a dagger pretty easily.

If you have a hilt that works, turning a sword into a rapier is pretty trivial:

1) Cut the existing sword blade off flush with the hilt.

2) Cut a piece of brass rod to length and use a grinder to sharpen the point.

3) Drill a hole in the hilt for the rod.

4) Glue the rod in place.

That was the first mini that came to mind when I saw the title ^_^ GM type of mini is around that number as well IIRC.

Here we go, always thought this one was pretty good one, epically if you team him up with Fafnir & look at the TSR Lankhmar adventure cover:

http://www.reapermin...y/4/02022_G.jpg

TSR cover

http://damianov.file...nkhmarcover.jpg

RM

Good times reading those books. Fafnir is a win.

What about _60053_ for the Mouser?

He has a basket-hilted weapon that could be Scalpel but the blade might be a little thick. The other hand is open and free of the body and could probably be converted to hold a dagger pretty easily.

60053 and the TSR cover match two ways: similar style of sword for the Mouser (and at least partly canonical: Scalpel is called a "curved blade" in Lean Times in Lanhkmar) and both show the Mouser as using Scalpel in the right hand. But that raises a question:

Was the Mouser left-handed?

Edit: Found this on TMP (The Miniatures Page):

fafhrd_and_mouser16.JPG

Notice what they did with Fafnir to help him look like he is 7 feet tall? --^--

The guy on the left is Torin the Thief with a weapon conversion much like Doug suggested.

I used him as my mouser He has a very faint moustache which is very easy to scrape off. Mouser always liked the finer things, so the fancy clothes under the drab cloak is perfect.