31 replies to this topic

#1 72moonglum

72moonglum

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

Here's another one I just finished, a human general from Ral Partha/Iron Wind Metals' Fantasy Armies. I don't really know who the sculptor is, but I've always thought this was a fun figure. With the whispy little moustache and beard I think he gives of an Asian vibe so tried to paint him with Asian skin tones. With his big heavy cloak I figured he was probably somewhere chilly, so did a snowy base. Anyway, enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails

• 02-730.jpg

• buglips*the*goblin, Amalor Myrnnyx, CashWiley and 3 others like this

a little gallery of my old and new painted miniatures found at:  www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=User:Antautunut

#2 Last Knight

Last Knight

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Bones Supporter
  • 3689 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:20 PM

Poor guy looks dwarfed by that 30mm base, but he turned out pretty well. ::):

I would recommend some different colors on the blade to differentiate hilt from sword, but that's my only gripe.
Happiness is just a word to me
And it might have meant a thing or two
If I'd known the difference
Emptiness, a lonely parody
And my life, another smokin' gun
A sign of my indifference...

-Seatbelts, "Gotta Knock A Little Harder"

I pretty much agree with everything that Last Knight said.

#3 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1930 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

Your paint job is way better than the quality of the sculpt deserves. Very nice!

Edited by Adrift, 06 November 2012 - 07:49 AM.

#4 72moonglum

72moonglum

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:03 AM

I would recommend some different colors on the blade to differentiate hilt from sword, but that's my only gripe.

Hi Last Knight!

He's actually on the middle-sized Warmachine base, don't recall if those are 40 mm bases? His metal base was slightly too large for the 30 mm base so I had to bump him up to the next size base.

I know what you mean about the hilt. It was the last thing I painted besides the jewels. I didn't want it to be brown, I kind of wanted to keep with the darker theme, but there's not much to differentiate it colorwise. I used walnut brown as the base, then lightened it up using leather white, then finally white as the last highlight, but it doesn't look much different than the leather color. I had kind of the same problem with the belt, but at the same time didn't want to paint it brown either. Upon retrospect though, might have been the way to go! But I'm a lazy painter, don't usually touch things up or chane things afterwards, I just move on to the next miniature, which right now I've got to decide what's next..

a little gallery of my old and new painted miniatures found at:  www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=User:Antautunut

#5 malefactus

malefactus

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:16 AM

Ral Partha minis were the state of the art for so many years; a FINE bit of brushwork, as you demonstrated, shows why. VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member. G.Marx

#6 Last Knight

Last Knight

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Bones Supporter
  • 3689 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:25 AM

Hi Last Knight!

He's actually on the middle-sized Warmachine base, don't recall if those are 40 mm bases? His metal base was slightly too large for the 30 mm base so I had to bump him up to the next size base.

I know what you mean about the hilt. It was the last thing I painted besides the jewels. I didn't want it to be brown, I kind of wanted to keep with the darker theme, but there's not much to differentiate it colorwise. I used walnut brown as the base, then lightened it up using leather white, then finally white as the last highlight, but it doesn't look much different than the leather color. I had kind of the same problem with the belt, but at the same time didn't want to paint it brown either. Upon retrospect though, might have been the way to go! But I'm a lazy painter, don't usually touch things up or chane things afterwards, I just move on to the next miniature, which right now I've got to decide what's next..

That would indeed be 40mm. ::): Explained!

Know what you mean about being an impatient painter, I'm the same way. ^_^ And he'll look just fine on the table!
Happiness is just a word to me
And it might have meant a thing or two
If I'd known the difference
Emptiness, a lonely parody
And my life, another smokin' gun
A sign of my indifference...

-Seatbelts, "Gotta Knock A Little Harder"

I pretty much agree with everything that Last Knight said.

#7 Stern Kestrelmann

Stern Kestrelmann

Godlike

• Members
  • 5633 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

I like this MG. So it is a bit larger scale? I like the variations of grey. The base is nice too. The blade seems a bit roundish, lacking edges and crispness, but this maybe the sculpt itself... Still, very cool.

SK

THERE IS ONLY THE EMPEROR!

#8 72moonglum

72moonglum

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:02 AM

I like this MG. So it is a bit larger scale? I like the variations of grey. The base is nice too. The blade seems a roundish, lacking edges and crispness, but this maybe the sculpt itself... Still, very cool.

SK

Hi Stern,
the scale itself's not so much larger. It's larger than old Tom Meier and Dennis Mize stuff but smaller than Reaper's heroic scale. I think relatively speaking this is a far more recent Ral Partha model and I really don't know who would have sculpted it. What happened was it was on a larger integrated base that just was too large to fit on the small 30 mm bases, and I didn't want to take the time to cut it off or shave it down, especially after it was already painted and ready to go.

And as far as the blade lacking edges and crispness and so on, that's just my eternal struggle with painting metal, can't blame the sculpt itself. I keep working on it, but there are times it works far better than others. I don't think the sword was one of those times and it probably didn't help that I didn't paint the hilt in a radically different different color (some sort of leather brown or something, like the pouch at his side). I wanted to keep the black/grey theme on his hilt as well, but as a result doesn't give much contrast to the metal.

Thanks much for the comments and critique, I really appreciate it!

#9 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 6238 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

He's the General. He should have a large base!
A miniature venture of mine: http://www.cauldronbornminiatures.com

#10 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Cybermonkey Wrangler

• Bones Supporter
  • 9398 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

He's listed as 02-730, no sculptor name given. That product number may not be original. I don't see him in any partha catalogs up to 1997, but he's got that 90's look to him. Could be right after the TSR license was lost (actually, in the 1997 catalog there are no TSRs, but in the back pages of future releases the Ravenloft Bone Golem is there - weird).

Anyway, there's no sculptor names in the catalogues either. My guess? Hmmm . . . I'd say Sandra Garrity. The Mize's, Garritys, and Jim Johnson sculpts tend to look pretty similar as Parthas, much more than their Reaper counterparts. He's got a Garrity look to his armor.

Current Bones Count:  Total:  awaiting recount  Painted:  132

#11 72moonglum

72moonglum

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

He's listed as 02-730, no sculptor name given. That product number may not be original. I don't see him in any partha catalogs up to 1997, but he's got that 90's look to him. Could be right after the TSR license was lost (actually, in the 1997 catalog there are no TSRs, but in the back pages of future releases the Ravenloft Bone Golem is there - weird).

Anyway, there's no sculptor names in the catalogues either. My guess? Hmmm . . . I'd say Sandra Garrity. The Mize's, Garritys, and Jim Johnson sculpts tend to look pretty similar as Parthas, much more than their Reaper counterparts. He's got a Garrity look to his armor.

Is that the same catalog with the preview for the female nomad and that four cool and funky quartet of elves? I have always wanted to get my hands on those elves, but have never seen them anywhere. As far as I know they may not even exist.

I'm kind of guessing maybe Jim Johnson as far as the sculptor, and that's only because he'd done a lot of the other ones with that series, but it's hard to know for sure. Might have to try to consult the source.

#12 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Cybermonkey Wrangler

• Bones Supporter
  • 9398 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

Were there any initials on the base? All the partha Jim Johnson's I've seen have JEJ in a little square. Some of Garrity's have her name, some don't. (usually the bigger ones do, not the man-sized)

Oh, and if you do consult the source, tell him I absolutely LOVE Factol Rhys and she's my favouritist mini ever in the history of ever.

TYVM.

Current Bones Count:  Total:  awaiting recount  Painted:  132

#13 72moonglum

72moonglum

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

Were there any initials on the base? All the partha Jim Johnson's I've seen have JEJ in a little square. Some of Garrity's have her name, some don't. (usually the bigger ones do, not the man-sized)

Oh, and if you do consult the source, tell him I absolutely LOVE Factol Rhys and she's my favouritist mini ever in the history of ever.

TYVM.

No ID/initials on this one. I have a feeling it was one of those that probably originally got slotted into a plastic base and had pegs under the feet and not a flat metal base, which got added later.

I guess I wasn't going far enough down the source line, I just thought I'd drop Iron Wind Metals an e-mail asking them who the sculptor was. I could certainly pass on your hearty voice of support and adulation however. Now I've got to go and hunt down a picture of this miniature so I might also slaver uncontrolably.

#14 klyons99

klyons99

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 429 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

Is that the same catalog with the preview for the female nomad and that four cool and funky quartet of elves? I have always wanted to get my hands on those elves, but have never seen them anywhere. As far as I know they may not even exist.

Found a copy of the catalog here, didn't notice any funky elves, but that could just be me ^_^

#15 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• Members
  • 6426 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

For the hilt of the sword, you could keep it in the same color but slide it down to the darker end of grey. So the highlights are like the shade or mid on the blade. Just work it darker until it stands apart from the blade more.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ral Partha, fantasy armies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users