Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dadcubed

Kaladrax - ideas and how to paint between the ribs

20 posts in this topic

I am thinking of two ideas with the later being the most interesting choice:

- green stuff in sinue and veins and paint it all purple and fleshy and rotting

- green stuff in screaming faces, and bones arms and zombie arms and legs poking out as though there are undead people consumed and living in his rib cage!

Woooooo!

Using him as the basis of a mummified dragon is an intriguing idea. . . .

- green stuff in screaming faces, and bones arms and zombie arms and legs poking out as though there are undead people consumed and living in his rib cage!
Nice!

Would it be easier to just carve off parts of other miniatures and use that instead of green-stuff? I reckon you'll have plenty of extra, unused minis to Frankenstein with.

Nice!

Would it be easier to just carve off parts of other miniatures and use that instead of green-stuff? I reckon you'll have plenty of extra, unused minis to Frankenstein with.

There is a material called 'Instant Mold' that can be used to copy the faces.

Heat the stuff in hot water, mash it into place, let it cool, remove.

Then take green stuff and squish it into the mold(s) and allow to harden. You will end up with one sided heads - which is better in this instance than full heads. And they do not have to be full on, so you can make molds of faces from different angles.

Any how to that involves both mashing and squishing has got to work.... ::P:

The stuff can be reheated, re-mashed, and reused.

The Auld Grump

2 people like this

There is a materail

Nice!

There is a material called 'Instant Mold' that can be used to copy the faces.

Heat the stuff in hot water, mash it into place, let it cool, remove.

Then take green stuff and squish it into the mold(s) and allow to harden. You will end up with one sided heads - which is better in this instance than full heads. And they do not have to be full on, so you can make molds of faces from different angles.

Any how to that involves both mashing and squishing has got to work.... ::P:

The stuff can be reheated, re-mashed, and reused.

The Auld Grump

I would be delving into my bits box for arms, legs, skeleton bits and heads and faces and then green stuff around them. Insane mold is good but expensive. I bought a big bag of thermoplastic off eBay a while back and have been using that for molds and copying stuff I make. It's about a tenth of the price of insant mold weight for weight.

I'm getting really excited about this model going to be a lot of fun :)

If any of you have a TAP Plastics store locally, they also sell a form of Insta-mold. It's pretty much exactly the same, but they sell it in a square box for about $15.00. I think it might be three times as much as the amount you get in the Insta-Mold package.

Back OT, I like the screaming faces idea. Throw in some bubbles and pustules for ole' Bruunwald, eh?

1 person likes this

I think it could be possible to do something similar to the effect on the extreme carniveans rotted skin. Kaladrax looks to have abunch of skin membrane in the wings so it might work.

Heres a pic of the Carnivean.

20120601-122734.jpg

If any of you have a TAP Plastics store locally, they also sell a form of Insta-mold. It's pretty much exactly the same, but they sell it in a square box for about $15.00. I think it might be three times as much as the amount you get in the Insta-Mold package.

I've never heard of this place, but after exploring their page for a few mins, I'm seeing A LOT of neat stuff! There's a couple stores here in Oregon. Thanks for the tip!

I've never heard of this place, but after exploring their page for a few mins, I'm seeing A LOT of neat stuff! There's a couple stores here in Oregon. Thanks for the tip!

My pleasure. They're a good source for RTV mold making material, and resins, as well, should you ever get the urge to do some major casting of multiples.

I think it could be possible to do something similar to the effect on the extreme carniveans rotted skin. Kaladrax looks to have abunch of skin membrane in the wings so it might work.

20120601-122734.jpg

That is beautiful mini, dude!

20120601-122734.jpg

Any chance you have a link to an explanation of the technique used? This is one thing I had thought of for mine and I would love to practice on a few smaller mini's first.

Bryan just posted up in the Kickstarter thread that they will be having Kaladrax sent back to the sculptor for a few modifications, including adding some guts n' stuff texture to the spacing between the ribs and opening the jaw (and open jaw is easier to convert to closed than the reverse). Looks like some of your work won't be necessary.

ADDED: TLDR...you want the last paragraph for the details of the modifications to Kaladrax. The first part is a long detailed technical description of the Bones casting process and why the rib cage needed to be filled, in the first place.

Edited by Qwyksilver

That is beautiful mini, dude!

Any chance you have a link to an explanation of the technique used? This is one thing I had thought of for mine and I would love to practice on a few smaller mini's first.

I think there is some confusion I never painted that mini,its a publicity still shot.

I just thought the effect of the stretched skin sinew would work to well on kaladrax for those with a bit of greenstuff skills.

Sorry bout that.

im thinking of grabbing one of the gnomes/ half-lings and im going to have Kaladrax nom nom noming a gnome. i think it be a snack or bite sized lol.