#1 Dadcubed

Dadcubed

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1041 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

I am thinking of two ideas with the later being the most interesting choice:

- green stuff in sinue and veins and paint it all purple and fleshy and rotting

- green stuff in screaming faces, and bones arms and zombie arms and legs poking out as though there are undead people consumed and living in his rib cage!

Woooooo!
MiniWars is a new online wargame player, hobbyist and club finder. There are search tools, you can find opponents, clubs, or buddies near you. Get yourself on the map and join the game!

http://miniwars.co.uk

WIP: http://www.reapermin...endeavours-wip/

#2 Panzer_Engel

Panzer_Engel

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

Using him as the basis of a mummified dragon is an intriguing idea. . . .
"Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein. . ."

#3 mvincent

mvincent

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

- green stuff in screaming faces, and bones arms and zombie arms and legs poking out as though there are undead people consumed and living in his rib cage!

Nice!
Would it be easier to just carve off parts of other miniatures and use that instead of green-stuff? I reckon you'll have plenty of extra, unused minis to Frankenstein with.

#4 TheAuldGrump

TheAuldGrump

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1304 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

Nice!
Would it be easier to just carve off parts of other miniatures and use that instead of green-stuff? I reckon you'll have plenty of extra, unused minis to Frankenstein with.

There is a material called 'Instant Mold' that can be used to copy the faces.

Heat the stuff in hot water, mash it into place, let it cool, remove.

Then take green stuff and squish it into the mold(s) and allow to harden. You will end up with one sided heads - which is better in this instance than full heads. And they do not have to be full on, so you can make molds of faces from different angles.

Any how to that involves both mashing and squishing has got to work.... ::P:

The stuff can be reheated, re-mashed, and reused.

The Auld Grump
  • cthulhudarren and pocketcthulhu like this
Si Tibi Narraremus
Te Interficere Debemus

#5 Dadcubed

Dadcubed

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1041 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

There is a materail

Nice!

There is a material called 'Instant Mold' that can be used to copy the faces.

Heat the stuff in hot water, mash it into place, let it cool, remove.

Then take green stuff and squish it into the mold(s) and allow to harden. You will end up with one sided heads - which is better in this instance than full heads. And they do not have to be full on, so you can make molds of faces from different angles.

Any how to that involves both mashing and squishing has got to work.... ::P:

The stuff can be reheated, re-mashed, and reused.

The Auld Grump

I would be delving into my bits box for arms, legs, skeleton bits and heads and faces and then green stuff around them. Insane mold is good but expensive. I bought a big bag of thermoplastic off eBay a while back and have been using that for molds and copying stuff I make. It's about a tenth of the price of insant mold weight for weight.

I'm getting really excited about this model going to be a lot of fun :)
MiniWars is a new online wargame player, hobbyist and club finder. There are search tools, you can find opponents, clubs, or buddies near you. Get yourself on the map and join the game!

http://miniwars.co.uk

WIP: http://www.reapermin...endeavours-wip/

#6 Bruunwald

Bruunwald

Godlike

• Members
  • 1450 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

If any of you have a TAP Plastics store locally, they also sell a form of Insta-mold. It's pretty much exactly the same, but they sell it in a square box for about $15.00. I think it might be three times as much as the amount you get in the Insta-Mold package.

Back OT, I like the screaming faces idea. Throw in some bubbles and pustules for ole' Bruunwald, eh?
  • estrus likes this
CreepyTown Miniatures is now on Facebook!
www.creepytownminis.com

#7 bloodydrake

bloodydrake

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 882 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

I think it could be possible to do something similar to the effect on the extreme carniveans rotted skin. Kaladrax looks to have abunch of skin membrane in the wings so it might work.
Heres a pic of the Carnivean.
Posted Image

#8 estrus

estrus

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 775 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

If any of you have a TAP Plastics store locally, they also sell a form of Insta-mold. It's pretty much exactly the same, but they sell it in a square box for about $15.00. I think it might be three times as much as the amount you get in the Insta-Mold package.

I've never heard of this place, but after exploring their page for a few mins, I'm seeing A LOT of neat stuff! There's a couple stores here in Oregon. Thanks for the tip!

#9 Bruunwald

Bruunwald

Godlike

• Members
  • 1450 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:20 AM

I've never heard of this place, but after exploring their page for a few mins, I'm seeing A LOT of neat stuff! There's a couple stores here in Oregon. Thanks for the tip!

My pleasure. They're a good source for RTV mold making material, and resins, as well, should you ever get the urge to do some major casting of multiples.
CreepyTown Miniatures is now on Facebook!
www.creepytownminis.com

#10 cthulhudarren

cthulhudarren

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 671 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:16 AM

I think it could be possible to do something similar to the effect on the extreme carniveans rotted skin. Kaladrax looks to have abunch of skin membrane in the wings so it might work.
Posted Image

That is beautiful mini, dude!

#11 Pole

Pole

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 440 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

Posted Image

Any chance you have a link to an explanation of the technique used? This is one thing I had thought of for mine and I would love to practice on a few smaller mini's first.

2013: 14 Minis Painted

2014 Mini Painting Goal:  Paint something :down:
Free time = 0

#12 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 14606 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

Bryan just posted up in the Kickstarter thread that they will be having Kaladrax sent back to the sculptor for a few modifications, including adding some guts n' stuff texture to the spacing between the ribs and opening the jaw (and open jaw is easier to convert to closed than the reverse). Looks like some of your work won't be necessary.

ADDED: TLDR...you want the last paragraph for the details of the modifications to Kaladrax. The first part is a long detailed technical description of the Bones casting process and why the rib cage needed to be filled, in the first place.

Edited by Qwyksilver, 12 November 2012 - 12:33 PM.

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#13 bloodydrake

bloodydrake

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 882 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

That is beautiful mini, dude!

Any chance you have a link to an explanation of the technique used? This is one thing I had thought of for mine and I would love to practice on a few smaller mini's first.

I think there is some confusion I never painted that mini,its a publicity still shot.
I just thought the effect of the stretched skin sinew would work to well on kaladrax for those with a bit of greenstuff skills.
Sorry bout that.

#14 Exwilly

Exwilly

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 840 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

im thinking of grabbing one of the gnomes/ half-lings and im going to have Kaladrax nom nom noming a gnome. i think it be a snack or bite sized lol.
"Remember practice doesn't make perfect but it sure does help only perfect practice makes perfect but you cant be perfect without making mistakes and learning from them." dont know if this is an actual quote by someone lol.

Naturally, he died because a wizard exploded.

like i tell my employees at work who complain about working. your here to work right. yes they reply. your getting paid right. yes they reply. good now go clean the restrooms

#15 Teskal

Teskal

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1220 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:36 AM

I like the idea having bodies in Kaladrax. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users