Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Girot

03490: Warg

16 posts in this topic

I particularly like the eyes and the frost on his tail feet and underbelly. Nice job.

1 person likes this

It looks very impressive. I also like the frosty hair under its body and tail. What did you use for the snow?

EE snow basing but i had to wash it with watered down white after to get it to look right...

Love the snow and eyes and you pulled off the black fur.

The one thing is you have blood on the snow but I don't see blood on its maw.

Love the snow and eyes and you pulled off the black fur.

The one thing is you have blood on the snow but I don't see blood on its maw.

the camera angle doesn't show it but the fur under his chin is soaked in it.

Very well done. Usually blood doesn't work for me on a model but you pulled it off.

Very well done. Usually blood doesn't work for me on a model but you pulled it off.

thanks! i thought i screwed it up at first but then i looked up crime scene photos from the midwest and it turns out I got the bloody snow near perfect.

an interesting note for y'all....

this casting did NOT include the missing ear. that wasn't a conversion that was how I got him. I thought it looked appropriate for what i was painting and went with it.

I think you really did nail the bloody snow appearance, and I can see the blood around the maw..I think it's just our favorite camera fu issue.

1 person likes this

I like the way you've tied the miniature into it's environment (read, another vote for the frost - Consider this idea duly stolen)

And yes, blood on the teeth, blood on it's ruff, blood on the snow. . . . It would be easy for this much blood to look overdone and cartoonish, but you've managed to pull it off. How did you apply the blood to the snow?

1 person likes this

I might put up a different angel so the base can be seen better as there is a bit of leftover someone right were the majority of the mess is.

How did you apply the blood to the snow?

I go through the whole basing process:

1) Glue Cujo to a cavalry base (the fact i had to say cavalry should give you an idea of his size btw).

2) Green-stuff around Cujo's broccoli base to even it out. Push some dead things, Mikey, dead things into the greenstuff (two skulls and a rib cage).

3) Use a mixture of Elmers Glue-All (generic PVA glue) and white deco sand to add texture to the green-stuff.

4) Paint the entire base with Astronomican Grey. Use a slightly watered down Scab Red on the rib cage and create the 'flow' out from it letting it soak into the sand texture. Attempt futilely to add some additional detail to the rib cage.

5) Apply way too much PVA to everything but the rib cage. Sadly the skulls are long lost at this point but it’s comforting knowing they are their anyway.

6) Stuff model into tray with EE snow basing material (which their own retail minion tried to warn me awayfrom btw). Unfortunately the result looks BLUE instead of white. Wtf??

7) Use watered down Blood Red over the top of the snow where the underblood is. The brightness is a little much but before I mess this up any further…

8) Google “bloody snow” and find that I did pretty good, I just need to darken it a bit where the mess is the thickest.

9) Use watered down white to wash the snow basing to make it look like snow. No, I am not joking.

10) Spray with satin polyurethane sealant, let dry for 24 hours, spray with generic matt acrylic sealant to take the shine off.

3 people like this

That looks great! I think I may have to steal the idea for an old mini that needs touching up.

1 person likes this

That looks great! I think I may have to steal the idea for an old mini that needs touching up.

Mm-hm.

But remember; Only a hack borrows other peoples ideas.

. . . Artists steal. Wholesale.

1 person likes this