Photo

Reaper 2012 Secret Sophie Holiday Gift Exchange!

holiday exchange gifts

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 recruittons

recruittons

Arch Magi of Figmentia Exchangus

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

Hello, everybody, and welcome to the Secret Sophie (thanks dispatchdave for the name!) gift exchange thread! I opted for the non-denominational version because I find the name funny.

Alright, down to brass tacks. If you want to participate DO NOT post here saying you're in. You can post here with questions, with comments, or suggestions, but I think it will make it even more secret and fun if no one knows who else is in on this.

Rules!
1. PM me with the answer to my short list of questions (See Below) and you're in!
2. This is an exchange of Reaper products only. Feel free to add other things to the box if you want, but the main focus is on Reaper's miniatures.
3. Nobody is required to paint anything! Part of the fun is that this will be quite simple to be apart of, otherwise I wouldn't have run this concurrently with the Autumn Exchange ::D:
4. If you want to reveal your identity, wait until they've already received their gift, please. I'll be with-holding the identity of your recipient on purpose, but if you figure it out, or know it from previous exchanges, please don't let the cat out of the bag :;):

And that's it! The deadline for this will be shortly after New Year's day to get it in the mail. The actual holidays are way too busy to count on shippers getting the package there reliably, plus everyone is just plain busy. This should give people who want to paint some time to paint, as well :blues:

Deadline: 15th of January, 2013.

PM me with this info.
1. Name and Address (Of course)
2. If you would like to paint for your recipient - But keep in mind, painting takes time, so if you don't think you can make the deadline, just send a naked mini. They'll still love it!
3. If you can ship internationally

And there you have it. Questions, comment, suggestions all welcome, but remember, keep your participation a seeeecret :ph34r:.

Oh, and the people who've already sent their PMs from seeing my post in the Autumn Exchange thread, no need for another. I've got you folks jotted down on my master list. ^_^
Posted Image

#2 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1930 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

So participants would post a pic of their haul and then people could speculate as to who the sender was?

#3 recruittons

recruittons

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

Oh! And I forgot to add the cut-off date for people joining this.

Again, this will be a semi-soft cut-off, like the last one, but I'll take newcomers after the date and then assign those newcomers in waves once I have 3-4 people to do the anonymous exchange amongst each other.

Tentative cut-off/assignment date: November 30th, 2012

Should give everyone plenty of time to shop and buy something. Anybody that says they want to paint their gift will be given their assignments November 23rd, 2012, to give them a bit of a head-start on deciding on the mini to give!
Posted Image

#4 recruittons

recruittons

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

So participants would post a pic of their haul and then people could speculate as to who the sender was?

Oh that sounds like fun! :bday:

And for people who receive unpainted minis, we could have a sharing thread for what they look like once they're all done up. I don't really know how to run/judge a contest, but it could be fun to have a painting contest for the received minis ^_^
  • Exwilly and Panzer_Engel like this
Posted Image

#5 Last Knight

Last Knight

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Bones Supporter
  • 3684 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

I think we should send naked minis, and then the recipient would have to paint them up and post them.

And then we can all send each other Faceless Horrors. ::D:
  • buglips*the*goblin, Girot, Matbar and 8 others like this
Happiness is just a word to me
And it might have meant a thing or two
If I'd known the difference
Emptiness, a lonely parody
And my life, another smokin' gun
A sign of my indifference...

-Seatbelts, "Gotta Knock A Little Harder"

I pretty much agree with everything that Last Knight said.

#6 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Cybermonkey Wrangler

• Bones Supporter
  • 9333 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:01 AM

I think we should send naked minis, and then the recipient would have to paint them up and post them.

And then we can all send each other Faceless Horrors. ::D:

There aren't enough "like" buttons for the laughs that got out of me this morning.
  • Girot, Exwilly, Last Knight and 1 other like this

Current Bones Count:  Total:  awaiting recount  Painted:  132

#7 dispatchdave

dispatchdave

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1345 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

My only comment is I prefer "Secret Sophie" to white-elephant. White elephant generally indicates a gift/trade system where one person picks an item from a group, then the next person can pick an unknown item, or take the first person's item (who then gets an unknown from the pile). So, yeah. Secret Sophie. :upside:

-Dave

Be a gentleman. It is charming and infuriating, respectively, to exactly the people you want it to be.

My brain is not sick, my brain just is. And sometimes I need a little help to function in a society not designed for my cognition.

-http://wolvensnother...-the-brain?og=1

Hirst Arts Molds: 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 50, 54, 56, 57, 58, 59, 61, 80, 85, 201, 202, 230, 235, 240, 245, 250

#8 recruittons

recruittons

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

My only comment is I prefer "Secret Sophie" to white-elephant. White elephant generally indicates a gift/trade system where one person picks an item from a group, then the next person can pick an unknown item, or take the first person's item (who then gets an unknown from the pile). So, yeah. Secret Sophie. :upside:

-Dave

I love this idea, and I'll PM Kit to see if I can get the thread title changed ::D:
Posted Image

#9 recruittons

recruittons

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

Alright, since this is getting bigger faster than I expected (so happy about that!) I'm going to ask that everyone who has sent and will be sending me a PM that was not a part of the Autumn Exchange to answer two more questions.

I'm still going to keep the questions light compared to the regular exchanges, but since this is a gift, I want to make sure you are getting something you want!

Questions of Taste

What you want (Mouslings, necromancers, warriors, dual-wielders, etc):
What you DON'T want (gross, nudity, undead, kobolds, animals, etc):

Just remember, to anybody who wants in on this that already did the Autumn Exchange, I still have your info, so I won't need you to answer this if you PM me.
Posted Image

#10 TGP

TGP

The Great Pendrake

• Members
  • 1295 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

My only comment is I prefer "Secret Sophie" to white-elephant. . . .

I love this idea, and I'll PM Kit to see if I can get the thread title changed ::D:

Rc: You already can. Go to your first post in this thread: punch the Edit button (it is level with the Quote button); look for the USE FULL EDITOR button, punch that; then modify the Post Title field as required (you might need to scroll up to find it).
The post with all the Scales. The post with Base Sizes.

/forum/index.php?/topic/25000-reapers-official-position-on-paint-and-proxy/#entry366031
/forum/index.php?/topic/31075-creating-freelance-armies/#entry463326

#11 recruittons

recruittons

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

Oh! God, I wish I knew that. I was just using the baby-time editor, so I didn't notice. Thanks for the tip!
Posted Image

#12 Exwilly

Exwilly

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 614 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

:devil:
"Remember practice doesn't make perfect but it sure does help only perfect practice makes perfect but you cant be perfect without making mistakes and learning from them." dont know if this is an actual quote by someone lol.

Naturally, he died because a wizard exploded.

like i tell my employees at work who complain about working. your here to work right. yes they reply. your getting paid right. yes they reply. good now go clean the restrooms

#13 Last Knight

Last Knight

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Bones Supporter
  • 3684 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

-Dave

I have to say, I've never heard "White Elephant" used that way before - I've always heard that term to mean something that you didn't actually want that was given as a gift. What you're describing I've heard as a "Gypsy Christmas," which, yes, I know is offensive to some.

#14 dispatchdave

dispatchdave

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1345 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

I'm from the South, and we have weird idioms....

http://en.wikipedia....t_gift_exchange

ETA: I did see what you are referring to; I had never heard of the expression being used that way. Language keeps weirding.

Be a gentleman. It is charming and infuriating, respectively, to exactly the people you want it to be.

My brain is not sick, my brain just is. And sometimes I need a little help to function in a society not designed for my cognition.

-http://wolvensnother...-the-brain?og=1

Hirst Arts Molds: 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 50, 54, 56, 57, 58, 59, 61, 80, 85, 201, 202, 230, 235, 240, 245, 250

#15 Last Knight

Last Knight

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Bones Supporter
  • 3684 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

I'm from the South, and we have weird idioms....

Bless your heart, Virginia isn't exactly north... ::P:

http://en.wikipedia....t_gift_exchange

ETA: I did see what you are referring to; I had never heard of the expression being used that way. Language keeps weirding.

And having read the wiki article, "white elephant" makes more sense. ^_^

I'd also heard "Dirty Santa" before.

I've only done it a couple of times, and I got an awesome beer hammer out of it. I have to say, though, I can never resist the urge of the wrapped package... can't bear to take something from somebody else when there's something OMG AWESOME WHAT CAN IT BE still on the table. ::D:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: holiday, exchange, gifts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users