• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5473 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

So I mentioned to my dad it would be cool to make something for my sister, who's a geology teacher, with some cool crystals for Christmas--as she has a display cabinet for rocks and such-- and he bought be this. It's $80 worth of raw emeralds apparently. I don't want to just glue, via some strong epoxy, stuff to it but I'm not really sure what to do with it. About as long as a paint dropper and comes to the bottom of the cap in height.

Edit: WIP start's at this post.

WP_002672.jpg

@monkeysloth

New: Current Contest and Active Ribbon list | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#2 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2168 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

I don't know if I'd want to glue anything or modify the actual rock in any way either. This will require some thought.

#3 Dilvish the Deliverer

Dilvish the Deliverer

God of Underwater Painting

• Bones Supporter
  • 2876 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

Assuming you want it to be mini related, you could use it as part of a base/diorama without necessarily afixing it to the base/mini.

A few quick ideas:

part of treasure hoard for a creature (dragon, fiend monster ect).

or my favorite, you could have it coming out of the floor or wall of a cavern and have dwarves (or any other race actually) mining it for the emeralds.
  • evergrin, Panzer_Engel, Last Knight and 1 other like this

Dilvish is Chance, shepherd and archer, in...
Boldly Into Darkness Go: Down the Murder Hole

Wiki

I agree with Dilvish.

#4 evergrin

evergrin

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

You are so good at creating beautiful bases. You'll be dreaming/thinking about it and I'm sure you will have an idea. : )

When I first looked at the rock, I somehow pictured this mini, Nienna, Elf Ranger, on top of it:
http://www.reapermin...#detail/02909_G

It'd be pretty if you place the rock on a wooden display base:
http://www.sears.com..._SPM6273864907P
http://www.ooakartis...m/Displays.html

#5 Panzer_Engel

Panzer_Engel

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:37 AM

I think the solution will be to give some thought as to what interests her, rather than neccesarily what you think would make a good model/diorama.

Ideas?

Merlin in his crystal cave.
One or more explorer types, standing awestruck.

I also like dilvish's idea of dwarven miners rappeling up to, clambering over and preparing to dig into, it.

"We've found the motherlode Sven! We're going to be rich! All of us! . . .Assuming there's anyone who can raise the money to buy it , that is."
  • Matbar likes this
"Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein. . ."

#6 Caffiene

Caffiene

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 252 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:42 AM

you could have it coming out of the floor or wall of a cavern and have dwarves (or any other race actually) mining it for the emeralds.

Like.

Or along the same lines, goblins dynamiting it.

#7 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5473 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

I like the excavation idea, had been thinking along those lines myself. My biggest problem is all the ideas I think would be the best, non-combat related-- of would require heavily modding.

If I go this route I have a dwarven driller from Manic.

Posted Image

And that would work well. Biggest question, which is where I'm hoping the crowd mind can help, is how to bulid around this so it wasn't glued in to the base yet look like it's supposed to be there?

@monkeysloth

New: Current Contest and Active Ribbon list | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#8 Caffiene

Caffiene

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 252 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:14 AM

Construction scaffolding. Shouldnt be too hard to make it so that in practice its just a holder for the rock, while looking like its there for the minis' use in excavation.
  • Panzer_Engel likes this

#9 kay13

kay13

Chaotic Deity of Like Bombing

• Bones Supporter
  • 1958 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:14 AM

mould your base around it so there is a depression/ spot for the rock... but don't have the rock attached...
That way the rock "fits" the base, but is not fixed.
  • Darius Glenwell likes this

#10 Panzer_Engel

Panzer_Engel

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:17 AM

I like the excavation idea, had been thinking along those lines myself. My biggest problem is all the ideas I think would be the best, non-combat related-- of would require heavily modding.

. . . . That's almost a given. At the very least you're going to end up re-posing every model you place on the rock itself, as opposed to alongside, or hanging off it, or on scaffolding beside it, if only so they look like they're actually standing on or moving over it.

If I go this route I have a dwarven driller from Manic.
And that would work well. Biggest question, which is where I'm hoping the crowd mind can help, is how to bulid around this so it wasn't glued in to the base yet look like it's supposed to be there?

Have a pair of dwarves manhandling it into position? Perhaps picking up the trailing ropes from it's recent trip up to the working area.

#11 Panzer_Engel

Panzer_Engel

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:18 AM

mould your base around it so there is a depression/ spot for the rock... but don't have the rock attached...
That way the rock "fits" the base, but is not fixed.

This would be the way to go, if it's not to be entirely free-standing.

#12 Crsdawg

Crsdawg

• Bones Supporter
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:25 AM

Something I'd mention is that Geologist are not miners...they are the people who go out and find mineable places (amongst many other duties). If I were to use that sample as a base in a diorama for my Geologist sister, I'd want to try to build an image that would emulate what she might look like in the field. Female figure, rock hammer in hand, some sort of mineral in the other.

Sure most of the guys and gals on here love dwarves and elves...but does she? Maybe she does, but keeping her tastes in mind is something to consider.

Also, about the sample. Don't sweat putting something on there. Most gemstones, especially examples like yours in their raw state, are much more common than a jeweler or rock shop owner would like you to believe. An emerald is just the mineral Beryl that formed with a particular set of contaminates. Rubies are simply red Corundum, and Amethysts are just purple Quartz. It's a neat thing, but not sacred.
  • traxia likes this

#13 Corporea

Corporea

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2104 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:11 AM

How about the bottom of a cave with someone rappelling down to the emeralds- fishing line, some less expensive rock or green stuff... some hanging bats, stalagmites/tights, etc. that way you don't have anything to glue to the actual base and her students will get ideas about field trips! Maybe one or two figures already kneeling on the ground and taking samples if you want to attach. Glow stick effect would be fun.
oh, you mean I can put stuff here?  cool!  now to think of something...

#14 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2168 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:12 AM

You would naturally have to include the Dwarven Brewmeisters:
http://www.reapermin.../sku-down/02559
  • redambrosia likes this

#15 TaleSpinner

TaleSpinner

Sculptor of Stories

• Bones Supporter
  • 4687 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:35 AM

Have a group of Dwarves surrounding it. Put it free-standing on logs like they are moving an monolitic piece, like how the ancients moved the Stonehenge rocks or the pyramid rocks. That way the stone is untouched and can be removed from the diorama.
  • Darius Glenwell and Panzer_Engel like this
Some tales are better left for the light of day.

My Website: www.talespinnerminis.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users