• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#16 Sanael

Sanael

God among Kender and Kobolds

• Bones Supporter
  • 2058 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

Have a group of Dwarves surrounging it. Put it free-standing on logs like they are moving an monolitic piece, like how the ancients moved the Stonehenge rocks or the pyrimid rocks. That way the stone is untouched and can be removed from the diorama.

I like this idea. Makes it very easy to look at the sample more closely.

Riffing off earlier ideas, I think it would be awesome to see the rock standing vertically, with dwarves on one side in their meticulous planning stages with their precision tools, maybe a camp table set up with some plans spread across it, some scaffolding in process, etc...and on the other side of the vein, a group of goblins with their dynamite and torches, maybe one guy on a rock trying to pull it out with his bare hands (or teeth). I don't know if your sister would appreciate this concept, but it's a fun little dio in my brain.
  • Last Knight likes this

Index of my Show-Off minis.

My sporadic workbench. Right now: Dwarfs. 35 pts of Legion of Everblight (21/35 complete, 1 warlock). RP Draconians Box Set.

Why yes, that is a Kaladrax on my shoulder. Why do you ask?

#17 Matbar

Matbar

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 315 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

Honestly I agree with the people who said go with something SHE likes. I mean I can tell you I think it would look cool as all get out with a female DE cackling gleefully like she'd found the mother lode, but she may not like those figs. Can you give us some other ideas what she likes in general?

#18 Inarah

Inarah

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 4114 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

Have it made into jewelry. I realize it's not high quality matrix, but you might be able to get some nice chunks out of it to make a ring and pair of earrings from the raw emerald.
~It's not broken.... it's a conversion. ~

"I got my brother and his six year old hooked last week. They were soon back at the friendly local for more. Starts with a cute lil unicorn, next thing you're onto griffins and purple worms." ~ Carnacki the Ghost Finder

#19 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5331 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

Just an follow up as this keeps on coming up. She loves fantasy stuff, she's seen the LoTR movies more times during their theatical release then I think everyone who's commented on this thread has seen it combined on DVD (I'm not kidding about that). I know dwarfs won't bother her as I got her this for her graduation earlier in the year and she loved it. I do have the thought of putting her in the scene, always have, but I need to decide if it a combat or non-combat scene first.

If I go combat related it's this mini as I know that fits her. Have a few ideas on where to look for non-combat.

Have it made into jewelry. I realize it's not high quality matrix, but you might be able to get some nice chunks out of it to make a ring and pair of earrings from the raw emerald.

That would be nice but the reason I asked my dad about the stones is his hobby is making Jewelry so my sister has a lot of it. Not a bad idea though.

I want to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. I have a few ideas now but please still offer your suggestions as I'm probably going to convert this to a true WIP thread and would still like to get people's ideas on things.

@monkeysloth

New: Current Contest and Active Ribbon list | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#20 TaleSpinner

TaleSpinner

Sculptor of Stories

• Bones Supporter
  • 4495 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

Just an follow up as this keeps on coming up. She loves fantasy stuff, she's seen the LoTR movies more times during their theatical release then I think everyone who's commented on this thread has seen it combined on DVD (I'm not kidding about that). I know dwarfs won't bother her as I got her this for her graduation earlier in the year and she loved it. I do have the thought of putting her in the scene, always have, but I need to decide if it a combat or non-combat scene first.

If I go combat related it's this mini as I know that fits her. Have a few ideas on where to look for non-combat.

That would be nice but the reason I asked my dad about the stones is his hobby is making Jewelry so my sister has a lot of it. Not a bad idea though.

I want to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. I have a few ideas now but please still offer your suggestions as I'm probably going to convert this to a true WIP thread and would still like to get people's ideas on things.

If she likes LOTR, set it vertically as a cave wall and do Gimli and Legolas visiting the Glittering Caves of Algorond (caves of Helm's Deep). After the war Legolas and Gimli traveled with each other to walk through the caves and through Fangorn to share in the wonders they had found. It would be a nice little diorama and the rock would go untouched.

Andy
  • Darius Glenwell, Exwilly, Panzer_Engel and 1 other like this
Some tales are better left for the light of day.

My Website: www.talespinnerminis.com

#21 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5331 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

That's actually a really good idea and would limit the scope of the diorama enough that I could get it done in time.
  • TaleSpinner likes this

@monkeysloth

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#22 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5331 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:00 AM

Ok so I'm going with the LoTR idea but after looking at the GW stuff they're not going to fit what I want to do. I like this image for the caverns so I'm going to need a dwarf and elf that can fit for Gimli and Legolas but I need a dwarf that can have a torch placed into his hand and an Elf in a non combat pose.

So if people have suggestions, Reaper mini's not required but nice if they are, please post them.

Thanks.

@monkeysloth

#23 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5331 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

Ok so last night I wrapped the stone in plastic wrap then make a mold of it using Woodland Scenics' Plaster cloth. As you can see it fits in pretty well. I've reinforced the bottom some and once it dries latter tonight I'm going to break out the milliput and start defining the actual cavern itself.

But while that's drying I'm going to need to stain the base.

WP_002673.jpg

WP_002674.jpg

A question for you all. Should I put the rock parallel with the edge, like in the photo, or at 45 degrees? I'm thinking at 45 as that way when my sister has it in her display cabinet you'll be able to see more of the miniatures themselves.
  • Metalchaos and traxia like this

@monkeysloth

#24 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1199 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

Dwarf that can have a torch placed into his hand and an Elf in a non combat pose.
So if people have suggestions, Reaper mini's...

For the Dwarf maybe 03404, Gris Knotslip could do. He looks like a geologist with his pickaxe and his sword could be replaced by a torch or a lamp from 02638, Adventuring Accessories.

A question for you all. Should I put the rock parallel with the edge, like in the photo, or at 45 degrees? I'm thinking at 45 as that way when my sister has it in her display cabinet you'll be able to see more of the miniatures themselves.

If you place the stone at an angle it could look like a wall. The Dwarf could be examining the stone wall and the elf just behind could be pointing at the emerald. Need to find an Elf to complete this duorama. :;):

#25 kay13

kay13

Chaotic Deity of Like Bombing

• Bones Supporter
  • 1830 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

http://www.reapermin.../sku-down/03358

Is a male elf in a non combat pose (and pointing at something)... he does have a big polearm in his off hand... but he's not attacking or anything

http://www.reapermin.../sku-down/03169
elvin monk, no weapons (ready for hand to hand from the looks, but easy to repose)

http://www.reapermin.../sku-down/03547
female, pointing at something, non combat pose (in case you want to include your sister)

http://www.reapermin.../sku-down/03033
male elf - sharing information?

http://www.reapermin.../sku-down/02246
http://www.reapermin...detail/02343_ag

#26 Last Knight

Last Knight

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Bones Supporter
  • 6657 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

Dwarf that can have a torch placed into his hand and an Elf in a non combat pose.
So if people have suggestions, Reaper mini's...

For the Dwarf maybe 03404, Gris Knotslip could do. He looks like a geologist with his pickaxe and his sword could be replaced by a torch or a lamp from 02638, Adventuring Accessories.

Actually, I have Gris. He comes with choice of sword or lamp already; only the pick is already attached.
  • Metalchaos likes this

Currently DMing Boldly Into Darkness Go: Down The Murder Hole.

@Last Knight
WHY DID YOU POST THAT?

LK is my hero!

#27 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5331 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

I'm so glad that I got some Milliput a few months ago as it makes stuff like this super easy.

I glued the mold to the base and then placed down pins and pink foam core to support the rest of cavern.

WP_002677.jpg

Then I used the plaster cloth to define the cavern walls.

WP_002678.jpg
WP_002679.jpg

Next I used Milliput, watered down, to cover the plaster and base to make a cavern and used various rocks I have to texture the floor and walls.

WP_002680.jpg

Here's the rock sitting in place. There's a gap at the bottom I'm looking at filling and I need to decide if I'm going to cut back the top of the mold or cover it in milliput (which people will never really see).

WP_002681.jpg
  • Metalchaos and klyons99 like this

@monkeysloth

#28 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5331 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

Here's the dwarfs I'm looking at.

http://www.reapermin...er/latest/14465

http://frpgames.com/..._detail&p=86471

Here's the Elfs

http://www.reapermin.../sku-down/14553

http://frpgames.com/..._detail&p=28147

@monkeysloth

#29 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1199 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

Here's the dwarfs I'm looking at.

http://www.reapermin...er/latest/14465

I like Durin the Dwarf Pathfinder, this model is my favorite Dwarven adventurer.

#30 bloodydrake

bloodydrake

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 882 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

wish there was a dwarf in the crazy pete pose..the arm holding the nugget..or emerald ect, with the face turned up would look great on the dwarf.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users