14 replies to this topic

#1 MamaGeek

MamaGeek

Godlike

• Members
  • 2076 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

SENMM

SENMM, for those who may not be familiar with the term, stands for Sky-Earth Non-Metallic Metal. It is a technique for painting a surface to appear metallic by painting a reflection of the sky and earth using non-metallic paints.

Here is an excellent CMON article on SENMM that I have found very useful:
http://www.coolminio...m/articles/1191

Shadow Talon

I am working on Reaper's Shadow Talon, an Ironman-like superhero figure. It's going to be a gift for a friend, to represent his Mutants and Masterminds character.

Here is what I've done so far.

ShadowTalonWIP02.jpg

I think it's going pretty well, although I'm not sure I got all of the reflections quite right, especially on the helmet. (Any suggestions/feedback in that regard would be appreciated).

This is the first time I've attempted SENMM on any miniature, and doing it over an entire battlesuit is terribly daunting. But I wanted to give it the old college try!

• Citrine, Metalchaos and CashWiley like this
Posted Image
Proud Member of WAMP

#2 Citrine

Citrine

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 774 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

Looks like a terrific start. I think you dont like the helmet because I think you have the horizon line on the top part of the side of the helmet at a slight angle versus the ground.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you care to vote for my paintjobs on CMON: http://www.coolminio.../artist/Citrine

#3 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1930 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

Wow what a coincidence, my next project I'm planning will involve some Sky-Earth/Horizon NMM. You're definitely doing a lot more than I was going to try my first go!

#4 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2849 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

I'm hardly skilled at this, but just looking at it the colours seem to be in the right spot but the visual problem is they are too dark. I only see sky that dark at sunrise and sunset when there is still light but the sun is below the horizon.
Daily Encounter - Dungeons and Dragons 4E content for players and DMs.
Me in Reaper's Inspiration Gallery

#5 Panzer_Engel

Panzer_Engel

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 214 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

Well. . .The only problem I could see is that the sides of his helm would be reflecting his shoulders, not the ground, so you'd get more secondary blues there, rather than browns.

. . . That and the fact that every other miniature you produce has me considering burning my brushes and entering a nunnery. Really, the word 'awesome' gets overused. But this is, and it's not even halfway done. . . .
"Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein. . ."

#6 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1198 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

It's looking very nice so far. That will give a neat impression of chrome. I also like the way you're using the cork, it seems broken, as if he had yielded to the pressure caused by the propulsion of the hero when jumping.

#7 MamaGeek

MamaGeek

Godlike

• Members
  • 2076 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

OK, I adjusted the horizon line on the helmet, added more gray to the "land" and changed the color value of the blue to something more purple. I think it's getting better.

I also am beginning to think I got the lines wrong on the chest plates. I think I'll rework them.

ShadowTalonWIP03.jpg

This is a very interesting project. There's really not much in the way of color theory, and I'm working with such a limited palette (blue, white, brown, gray). The entire things is really nothing more than a pure technical challenge, very different from anything else I've ever done.
  • chaosscorpion and CashWiley like this
Posted Image
Proud Member of WAMP

#8 paintminion

paintminion

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1269 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:12 AM

It is looking better! I agree that the darker blue is too much - I don't mind having it there, but it needs to be a smaller line of the dark blue.

You shaded the helmet better - blending from he light to the dark, no do the same on those chest plates and I think you'll like it more.

I applaud the effort to do an entire piece that way. Did you find it scrambled your brain to look at it so differently?

#9 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2849 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:39 AM

Looking better!
Unless something goes completely pearshaped I think you've moved beyond my ability to advise.

#10 MamaGeek

MamaGeek

Godlike

• Members
  • 2076 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

I also like the way you're using the cork, it seems broken, as if he had yielded to the pressure caused by the propulsion of the hero when jumping.

Yes, that's the idea. The figure comes with an integrated base that is a highly angular rock surface he is jumping off of. The Mutants & Masterminds campaign this is being painted for is much too urban for a rocky scene like that, so I cut off most of the original base, and cut the cork to fit around it, so that it would appear, as you said, as if the hero's high-propulsion launch had torn up the asphalt.

I applaud the effort to do an entire piece that way. Did you find it scrambled your brain to look at it so differently?

Yes! It was fun for a while, but is getting pretty tedious. I'll try to quickly lay on all the other areas, then I'll go over the whole figure, smoothing out blends and touching up any rough spots.

Here's my work on moving the pattern down the body:

ShadowTalonWIP04.jpg

I'm still not convinced that the helmet is right. Curved chrome does funny things with reflections. Here's a photo my husband took with his phone as we stood in front of a classic car. Notice how the horizon lines are far from straight on all the curved surfaces.

IMG_1291.jpg
  • Metalchaos and CashWiley like this
Posted Image
Proud Member of WAMP

#11 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• Members
  • 6424 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

I think you've definitely got it going now. Very nice.

Love reference photos!

#12 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2849 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:05 AM

As you get closer to the base you need to be sure it is getting reflected, colours you put on the base need to be on the chrome.

Also over at CMON I found a handy article with lots of photos of re-enactors all wearing over polished modern steel armor (well nearly all) which would be great reference for this work in general.

Here you go: http://www.coolminio...m-and-sculptors
  • Citrine and CashWiley like this

#13 MamaGeek

MamaGeek

Godlike

• Members
  • 2076 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:35 AM

Thanks for those CMON reference photos! I wish I'd seen those at the start!
Posted Image
Proud Member of WAMP

#14 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1198 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

It looks fantastic, I like the subtle transition. For sure it's a lot of work. He will stand out among the others during the game.

#15 MamaGeek

MamaGeek

Godlike

• Members
  • 2076 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

All done, and posted in Show Off!
Posted Image
Proud Member of WAMP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users