6 replies to this topic

#1 72moonglum

72moonglum

Godlike

• Members
  • 1036 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

Hi all,
Quick question: I was in Kansas City this weekend and visited a hobby store there, Tabletop Games. Really nice place and they carry the full line of Reaper paints. I got a brush on sealer 09107 because I'm running out of the Vallejo stuff I had. So the question is - is this Reaper sealer a flat, matte finish or does it have a shine to it?

Thanks,
Mark

a little gallery of my old and new painted miniatures found at:  www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=User:Antautunut

#2 Inarah

Inarah

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 4111 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

It's somewhere in between. It's not high gloss, but it's not flat either. I've never been able to find a truly flat brush-on.
~It's not broken.... it's a conversion. ~

"I got my brother and his six year old hooked last week. They were soon back at the friendly local for more. Starts with a cute lil unicorn, next thing you're onto griffins and purple worms." ~ Carnacki the Ghost Finder

#3 Furongian

Furongian

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 266 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

I find the brush on sealer to be completely invisible. It won't dull a shiny surface, but it doesn't add any gloss to the figure.

#4 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2022 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

It's somewhere in between. It's not high gloss, but it's not flat either. I've never been able to find a truly flat brush-on.

This is ultimately why I abandoned all sealers for Testor's Dullcote. It's widely available and it just primo for the price.

#5 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5324 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

I just used it on my Gobber Sniper I finished and it totally deglossed the GW brush on sealer I had just used. It's not as Matte as other stuff but I was surprised with how much it did to remove the gloss.

@monkeysloth

New: Current Contest and Active Ribbon list | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#6 72moonglum

72moonglum

Godlike

• Members
  • 1036 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

I was using Vallejo flat matte before but am running out so decided to grab the Reaper sealer because it was right in front of me. With the Vallejo sealer I've always found it to be very shineless as long as I apply a few coats of it that have been heavily watered down. Does the same apply for the Reaper stuff?

a little gallery of my old and new painted miniatures found at:  www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=User:Antautunut

#7 Wren

Wren

Godlike

• Artists
  • 2058 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

You need to thin the Reaper brush-on sealer slightly for it to be matte. (Like 1 drop of water to 2 or 3 drops of sealer.) If you apply it straight out of the bottle, it'll have more of a semi-gloss finish. Also shake the heck out of it, and then shake it some more, and do that before every use. If you don't, you'll get less matting agent used in the first half of the bottle, and the matting agent concentrated in the second half of the bottle. Which on the surface might sound as if you're getting the flattest finish in the second half of the bottle, but too much matting agent is what makes that frosted effect that you get when matte sealer goes wrong.
  • MonkeySloth, Last Knight and Spinward Bound like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sealer, varnish, protector

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users