16 replies to this topic

#1 ClauseRose

ClauseRose

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

Okay, I am far from new to this, going on 8 years of painting, but I have the hardest time with my glues. I am cheap and I am tired of replacing a half used container. I have tried a couple different versions of Citadel, GOOP, Ailene's metal glue, and a few others. Each and every time I make it no father than half way thru and the rest dries up. Is there any way to fix this? I tried storing it in the fridge last time and that didn't seem to help.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

#2 Last Knight

Last Knight

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Bones Supporter
  • 3688 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

Okay, I am far from new to this, going on 8 years of painting, but I have the hardest time with my glues. I am cheap and I am tired of replacing a half used container. I have tried a couple different versions of Citadel, GOOP, Ailene's metal glue, and a few others. Each and every time I make it no father than half way thru and the rest dries up. Is there any way to fix this? I tried storing it in the fridge last time and that didn't seem to help.

I generally just use those little Duro tubes with the screw on caps. They're cheap, haven't had issues with them drying up on me, and if they do... well, they're cheap, and there are plenty more in the pack.
Happiness is just a word to me
And it might have meant a thing or two
If I'd known the difference
Emptiness, a lonely parody
And my life, another smokin' gun
A sign of my indifference...

-Seatbelts, "Gotta Knock A Little Harder"

I pretty much agree with everything that Last Knight said.

#3 Inarah

Inarah

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3887 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

I buy the small cheap tubes that come 2-6 to a pack. Store them with the tip upright in a small cup. This keeps them from clogging. Also, try not to goop up the nozzle, wipe it off or use the knife to scrape off glue so that the lid can be put on securely. This will help keep it from drying out.
  • Last Knight likes this
~It's not broken.... it's a conversion. ~

"I got my brother and his six year old hooked last week. They were soon back at the friendly local for more. Starts with a cute lil unicorn, next thing you're onto griffins and purple worms." ~ Carnacki the Ghost Finder

#4 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 3235 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

I use the Gorilla Glue Super Glue equivilant. I LOVE THAT STUFF. The only time I ever had a bottle go bad on before it ran out was because I didn't keep the tip clean.
  • Qwyksilver, Furongian, CashWiley and 1 other like this
Active Events: Lysette | Dragons 2013 | Bad Boys | TMBG 2014 | WX14 | RC Songs |
Click this link to my gallery! I need the hits! ::P: | 2014 Painted Miniatures/Models: 23

#5 Niranth

Niranth

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 575 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

I use the Gorilla Glue Super Glue equivilant. I LOVE THAT STUFF.

Me too.
Bones KickStarter Links: http://www.reapermin...kstarter-links/

#6 Bruunwald

Bruunwald

Godlike

• Members
  • 1298 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

I use the liquid Gorilla super in the clear plastic container, the gel Gorilla in the squeeze tube, and the gel Loc-Tite in both squeeze and plastic containers. All of these are relatively smaller containers, and maybe that's the solution, as it looks like the others here with no drying-out also are buying smaller amounts at a time.
  • Girot likes this
CreepyTown Miniatures is now on Facebook!
www.creepytownminis.com

#7 haldir

haldir

I Don't Look Like My Avatar

• Bones Supporter
  • 12432 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

GG Super Glue here as well. Love the stuff & this coming from using ZapAGap & other reputable brand names. What I like about the GG one is the tip doesn't clog up as fast as say ZAG. I also like that I can use the stuff on painted parts. When I'm gluing styrene parts in my models I'll use Tamiya styrene glue but once their painted I'll go with GG.

RM
  • The Inner Geek likes this
Posted Image Posted Image Oh what the hell-- Posted Image

ReaperCon goer since 2005!

"The Road Goes Ever On......

"Lop that mutt's nards off spike! " orcsoul

#8 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 4683 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:50 AM

I use Loctite Gel Control and P3 for traditional superglue. The P3 one has a nail in the lid and I've had the same bottle for over 2 years now.

@monkeysloth

---My Tutorials---

New: Sculpting and Painting Rocks | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#9 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2237 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

BSI Glue. Great stuff.

2014 Painting Goal: 6 Figures/ 36 Painted as of 01/22/2014

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

#10 Furongian

Furongian

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 266 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

I used to use Zap a Gap, too, but now I'm a sworn devotee of Gorilla Glue. That stuff is amazing!

#11 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 14210 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:12 AM

I used ZaG and Loctite for years. About 7 months ago I tried my first bottle of Gorilla Glue and never looked back.

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#12 Wren

Wren

Godlike

• Artists
  • 1974 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

Glue is probably the hobby supply I need to replace most often. I've just consigned myself to accept it. CA and two-part epoxy glues only seem to stay good for a couple of years or so. Green stuff and some other epoxy products have the same issue. (Though Apoxie Sculp seems to last longer than GS.) Just part of their chemical make-up, I guess. For CA, buying smaller containers and making sure to seal the container well after each use is about the only tip I have for getting the most from them.

I guess another thing you could try is to go in batches. Prep and assemble a bunch of figures at a time until you use up a bottle of glue. If you also use the glue for basing, you can wait until you have a bunch of figures finished painting and do the basing in batches, too.
  • Panzer_Engel likes this

#13 dispatchdave

dispatchdave

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1345 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

Glue is probably the hobby supply I need to replace most often. I've just consigned myself to accept it. CA and two-part epoxy glues only seem to stay good for a couple of years or so. Green stuff and some other epoxy products have the same issue. (Though Apoxie Sculp seems to last longer than GS.) Just part of their chemical make-up, I guess. For CA, buying smaller containers and making sure to seal the container well after each use is about the only tip I have for getting the most from them.

I guess another thing you could try is to go in batches. Prep and assemble a bunch of figures at a time until you use up a bottle of glue. If you also use the glue for basing, you can wait until you have a bunch of figures finished painting and do the basing in batches, too.

This (emphasis mine). Smaller bottles, large batches. If you use all of a container in one go, it doesn't really have time to dry out.
  • Adrift likes this

Be a gentleman. It is charming and infuriating, respectively, to exactly the people you want it to be.

My brain is not sick, my brain just is. And sometimes I need a little help to function in a society not designed for my cognition.

-http://wolvensnother...-the-brain?og=1

Hirst Arts Molds: 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 50, 54, 56, 57, 58, 59, 61, 80, 85, 201, 202, 230, 235, 240, 245, 250

#14 The Inner Geek

The Inner Geek

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1360 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

I HATE superglue. But, that said, I'll put my vote in for Gorilla Glue super glue. I like the holding power, and also the metal needle part inside the cap that keeps the openning clear.

If a chicken an a half can lay an egg an a half in a day an a half,
how long will it take a monkey with one wooden leg to kick all the seeds out of a dill pickle?

#15 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2237 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

Keeping the nozzle clear is pretty easy. Just tap the bottle on the table and wipe the tip off.

2014 Painting Goal: 6 Figures/ 36 Painted as of 01/22/2014

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users