Photo

Touching up oil based primer with water based primer.. bad idea?

oil water primer oil based water based

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Matrix Dragon

Matrix Dragon

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

I have a mini that I primed using Krylon primer (spray on oil based I believe). However, before I got around to painting it I realized that I wanted to make some additional modifications to the mini (with green stuff). In addition, I noticed the primer got rubbed off in a few areas.

I don't want to spray the entire mini with primer again, so I was thinking of touching it up using some of Reaper's paint on primer. Will this probably work without any issues, or is it bad to mix different types of primer on the same mini?

#2 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 4683 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

As long as the other primer is dry you'll be fine. I use to do it all the time before switching to 100% paint on primer.

@monkeysloth

---My Tutorials---

New: Sculpting and Painting Rocks | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#3 Matrix Dragon

Matrix Dragon

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

Cool, thanks for confirming that! I'm glad that I'm not going to have to go through a big hassle to finish this thing.

Honestly, I'm starting to think about switching totally to paint on primer myself. It is too easy to miss spots or have mishaps with the spray on stuff.

#4 ClauseRose

ClauseRose

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

More likely than not, it is fine. In general you shouldn't put water over oil, but this should be fine. But, hey, I never prime. All I do is a black wash and block in color followed by shading down and tinting up.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: oil, water, primer, oil based, water based

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users