Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matrix Dragon

Touching up oil based primer with water based primer.. bad idea?

4 posts in this topic

I have a mini that I primed using Krylon primer (spray on oil based I believe). However, before I got around to painting it I realized that I wanted to make some additional modifications to the mini (with green stuff). In addition, I noticed the primer got rubbed off in a few areas.

I don't want to spray the entire mini with primer again, so I was thinking of touching it up using some of Reaper's paint on primer. Will this probably work without any issues, or is it bad to mix different types of primer on the same mini?

As long as the other primer is dry you'll be fine. I use to do it all the time before switching to 100% paint on primer.

Cool, thanks for confirming that! I'm glad that I'm not going to have to go through a big hassle to finish this thing.

Honestly, I'm starting to think about switching totally to paint on primer myself. It is too easy to miss spots or have mishaps with the spray on stuff.

More likely than not, it is fine. In general you shouldn't put water over oil, but this should be fine. But, hey, I never prime. All I do is a black wash and block in color followed by shading down and tinting up.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Gargs
      Quick question regarding Bones and Greenstuff.  I have a couple of Bones minis I'm going to be painting up here shortly that desperately need some gap filling done on them.  I know that Bones minis generally do not need to be primed (other than maybe a thin layer of liner) but how does the GS used to fill gaps interact?  Do I still need to hit it with some primer?  

On a related question, have any of you used the liquid green stuff?  I'm assuming that it is also potentially pretty hard on brushes, much like brush on primer, but was curious as to what your experiences were.  Some of the areas I want to fill are actually fairly small gaps, so the liquid GS seems like it would be a good match.
    • By Pegazus
      One little trick I picked up quite some time ago was to make a nail polish water bath. One can swirl together different colors, then apply it to a model to get interesting affects. I'd tried it on a couple of sprues of Bones material, but never was inspired to actually use the technique. This last weekend, I was shopping with the family and wandered into Hot Topic, where they had several interesting nail polishes. And so, I bought three different bottles, but I'll be using only one of them here, a red and black mottled polish in clear.

Let's start with the basics. A completely unwashed, unprimed Gnomic, and a quick shot of the actual nail polish.

The polish was dropped into the water bath by putting a lot of excess liquid on the nail brush. For the water bath itself, I am using an old lunch meat container. It's silly, but the lunch meat comes in a little bag, packaged in these little containers. It's my standard every day work lunch, so I've got a lot of them. Ruining one will not matter to me. The polish itself, I was a bit disappointed in. I was hoping for pink flakes in a black base color polish, but it turns out the polish base is clear, and it is pink and black flakes. Oh well, have to roll with that then.

Now, when the drop is put in, it'll either sink to the bottom, where it becomes useless, or float on top of the water and start expanding. It sort of flows out over the surface, in almost a 2D explosion. I think the top surface then rapidly dries, but for a while at least, the polish is sandwiched between the upper dry layer and the water underneath. Here's where the magic happens. In an open part of the water, I dip the model piece down, then bring it up underneath the puddle of polish floating on the surface. It will wrap itself around the part, forming a film of sorts. I then set the part aside and work on another.

I'd coated most of the parts, and decided that I didn't have enough variety in color. Really, I probably could have used an old toothbrush to splatter paint over the figure and get just as decent a look. However, since I planned from the beginning to make this a WIP/Technique thread, I wanted something that shows off the technique a little better. Since I have a small collection of dollar store polishes for just such a purpose, I grabbed a red one. Same process as the mottled polish, but when it spreads out, it makes just a small to large puddle. It To the rescue, a toothpick!

I already had one that I was using to clean out the little clear polish puddles that were left floating. Another was pressed into service and used to swirl the red (now pinkish) puddle into something more streaky. This took a little work to get just right, but I was left with little streaks of color over the CAV. It turned a bit more purple/pink than red. I also tried a little bit of white, but I didn't like it nearly as much. The results are below, drying on top of the now empty water bath container.

The plan forward is to brush off any poorly adhered film, and to remove any film where it has bridged a gap. I'll soon paint the crew's windows, and pick out a few little details here and there, but the "base" coloring in nail polish is complete. From decision to actually do this to the state you see above was about 45 minutes. If I had remembered how to do this a little better, it could have been less time and a little better placement of the coloring.
    • By Živa
      I know there's a painting forum, but it seems to be dedicated to the Reaper Minis, not to the hand-sculpted ones. I see most people use acrylic paint. I've also seen some people they use primer or paint directly on, but they usually don't specify which material they used. I was wondering if you use primer, and specifically, on which materials? Are the various brands of putty different? Clay? What if you have used more than one material on one sculpture?

For example, I made this, which is ProCreate/Apoxie with the top layer in Super Sculpey. Oh yeah, and I've also made a base out of Milliput. I've painted Super Sculpey before just by putting down one layer of paint and more or less using that as primer. I was thinking of just spray painting the whole thing black and then painting on top of that. Thoughts?

• By chaoshead
      I stumbled on this while looking for something to prime my new foam terrain set.

http://www.krylon.com/products/craft-foam-primer/

An internet search later and I found some locally, purchased and experimented.

It says it creates a thin durable primed surface that seals the foam and makes it safe to spray with other aerosol paints.

Well, it is definitely thin and is not going to hide any detail, I will apply two coats just to be safe.

It dries pretty quick, this is two coats with one hour between coats then one hour to dry.

Here is the true test, black aerosol spray paint....

...and it worked.

There is no bubbling, melting, deformation or even softening of the foam.

For all of us foam using terrain-oholics out there we finally have a way to spray primer our terrain.

• By DocPiske
      I don't know if non-hobby related items are allowed, but I saw this and wanted to share.

It is an Indiegogo campaign to fund providing a portable device to produce chlorine from salt and water, to be used in purifying drinking water to communities without access to safe sources.

Seems worthy of my support.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/one-device-endless-impact-water#/
  • Who's Online   16 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)