Photo

Energy Effects - What does a given color mean?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 3229 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

So I was pondering the various ways one can paint energy effects of any given type and was wondering if you folks have different colors assigned to different elemental or ethereal types/alignments?

My current table reads something like this:

Red – vampiric/demonic
Green – Fel (demonic)/plague/poison
Blue – generic/neutral/soul energy (necromantic?)
Purple – storm/necromantic
Orange/Yellow – almost exclusively fire and I typical default to fire for ‘holy’
Active Events: Lysette | Dragons 2013 | Bad Boys | TMBG 2014 | WX14 | RC Songs |
Click this link to my gallery! I need the hits! ::P: | 2014 Painted Miniatures/Models: 23

#2 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1928 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

I tend to think of things the following way....

Green/yellow (undead) - necrotic
Green emerald - natural
Purple - dark magic
Blue - ice/cold
Yellow/white (golden) - good
  • Girot and Exwilly like this

#3 Bruunwald

Bruunwald

Godlike

• Members
  • 1288 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

In the Iron Kingdoms, blue is both cold and electricity. Also sometimes just neutral magic. Green is sometimes poison, but usually necrotic. I think green is necrotic in Warhammer, too, right? I don't know for sure, as I don't collect Necrons.

Obviously, you get a lot of use out green, since that's also foresty and natural.

I've always thought of purple as vampiric, or otherwise dark magic, too.
  • Girot likes this
CreepyTown Miniatures is now on Facebook!
www.creepytownminis.com

#4 Sanael

Sanael

God among Kender and Kobolds

• Bones Supporter
  • 1780 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

Green does a lot of work, depending on how much blue or yellow is in it. The more yellow, the more bilious it gets...so necrotic energy, poison, acid. The more blue it is, the more positive; teal tends to be a bit more protective. Pure green (50/50 blue/yellow) is where nature falls.

Purple is dark, the color of pure negative energy. Where a yellowy green is the sort of thing you'll see in a cloud around zombies and other risen undead, vampires and liches are more likely to be bathed in purple.

And of course this all flies out the window when you find something that's situationally awesome for a particular mini.
  • Girot likes this

Index of my Show-Off minis.

Current workbench: Wyrmgear (boss monster for Eberron; WiP here). 35 pts of Legion of Everblight (19/35 complete). RP Draconians Box Set.

Why yes, that is a Kaladrax on my shoulder. Why do you ask?

#5 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 3229 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

In the Iron Kingdoms, blue is both cold and electricity. Also sometimes just neutral magic. Green is sometimes poison, but usually necrotic. I think green is necrotic in Warhammer, too, right? I don't know for sure, as I don't collect Necrons.

Obviously, you get a lot of use out green, since that's also foresty and natural.

I've always thought of purple as vampiric, or otherwise dark magic, too.

The catch 22 of sci-fi is most of the really impressive energy effects are plasma. I work with plasma and I can tell you that the color depends entirely on the elemental composition of the gas you are exciting.
Active Events: Lysette | Dragons 2013 | Bad Boys | TMBG 2014 | WX14 | RC Songs |
Click this link to my gallery! I need the hits! ::P: | 2014 Painted Miniatures/Models: 23

#6 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 3229 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

And of course this all flies out the window when you find something that's situationally awesome for a particular mini.

There in lies the conundrum..........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users