• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ced1106

ced1106

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 954 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

I'm doing some touch-up on the basecoat of several similar models, and the white areas (from the white primer) are driving me nuts!

I need to try blacklining on more areas besides skin, but any other suggestions to deal with the white? I'd like to use white primer only for the Imperial good guys.

I'm having trouble finding links to threads about this topic, since most hits are about how to paint white on miniatures.

Interesting pre-shading thread:
http://www.wargamera...hp/t140814.html

Thanks!

#2 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 4416 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

I base all of my models with black for this exact reason, lol.
  • Exwilly and ced1106 like this

2014 Painted Miniatures/Models: 42

Bones II:  #7355

#3 Marsya

Marsya

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 532 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

I use white but prior to any painting lay down a coat of a dark color in hard to reach areas or areas that you may miss so if you miss a spot it isn't noticeable. I usually use dark brown, but I know some mini painters will use dark blues, reds or purples, to give richer shadows.

• ced1106 likes this

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

George Bernard Shaw

My gaming and miniatures blog - a glimpse into my world of miniatures and games

#4 LiquidLimn

LiquidLimn

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

After your spray basecoat, it's important to lay down whatever main color you'll be using on each section of the mini in several thinned down coats. This will give you a nice foundation to build shadows and highlights with later.

The nice thing about white spray basecoats is that generally, you don't have to work to overcome blacks natural dullness. The colors will appear vibrant even after your first coat of paint is complete. The trade-off, as you've noticed, is you need to spend a little more time coating the cracks and crevices of your mini to prevent missing white basecoat.

I generally resolve this by coating the recessed areas of my mini with multiple coats of a thin black wash before basecoating each area of the mini with the main color.
  • ced1106 and pocketcthulhu like this

#5 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2496 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:33 AM

After your spray basecoat, it's important to lay down whatever main color you'll be using on each section of the mini in several thinned down coats. This will give you a nice foundation to build shadows and highlights with later.

The nice thing about white spray basecoats is that generally, you don't have to work to overcome blacks natural dullness. The colors will appear vibrant even after your first coat of paint is complete. The trade-off, as you've noticed, is you need to spend a little more time coating the cracks and crevices of your mini to prevent missing white basecoat.

I generally resolve this by coating the recessed areas of my mini with multiple coats of a thin black wash before basecoating each area of the mini with the main color.

This is precisely how I it. White primer 1st. Thinned basecoats for maximum groove/recess coverage and multiple thin layers of basecoat till I reach the 'intermediate' layer of color I wanted to achieve.

Future layers of shading and highlighting moving in either direction are based on the color I achieve in my basecoat. I used to only slap a basecoat on to 'get some paint on the mini'. I now realize how very important this foundational layer really is.
  • ced1106 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users