240 posts in this topic
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Things have been a little rough for me lately and I haven't been painting, but last week my dear husband got some paints out and I started working on random stuff. This is the original Ellen Stone with no face, from the Vampire box. I'm pretty happy with how she came out.
Once upon a time there was the first Bones Kickstarter, and one of the figures, Ellen Stone, came out of the mold somewhat lacking in the nose department, and people said, "What can you do with a noseless cowgirl?" and someone (It may even have been me) said, "Paint her up as an alien."
Somewhat later I was musing over the Githyanki (who seem to keep cropping up in games I'm involved in) while sorting through my Bones minis looking for inspiration (as you do).
In my bag of cowboys (Yes, I sort my Bones minis by theme), I ran across the old Ellen Stone figure, as well as a man's figure which, I realized upon close inspection, seemed to have a skull-like face, almost zombie-like, certainly lacking a nose.
And something clicked and I thought "Oooh, yuss."
Now, I don't absolutely know for certain that I ever will have a use for a couple of Githyanki desperadoes, and yet, here they are.
First is the Bones Ellen Stone, SKU 80003.
WIP thread here.
Last August or so I helped TophDNA with his Summer Exchange (I think) and he was painting a cowboy for someone. At any rate, I decided to paint up this Gunslinger as Roland Deschain from the Dark Tower Series. I believe we did these in one evening, although I didn't complete mine. I'd put some crackle whatchamacallit on the base and left it to dry. However, I didn't get around to painting the base until a few days back while I was waiting for something to dry somewhere. I figured I should finish him as he'd been waiting around for quite some time.
Really the only thing to note on this one is that I finished it in a record amount of short time as I tend to fuss over things for wayyyy too long. It took months to just finish the base, and oh, I did add a 5 O' Clock shadow while the base was drying. *Spoiler ALERT* Oh, this is Book 2 Roland as he's missing 2 fingers off his right hand... Here you go:
Again, with the funky camera, I apologize! I'll figure it out eventually...
Thanks for checking it out!
Edit: Since this is now complete, here are before and after photos, so those who don't want to read through the whole process can see the results:
If you want to see exactly how I got from one to the other, read on!
The Bones KS 1 version of "Ellen Stone, Cowgirl" had a badly deformed face. I'll attempt to repair it.
It should have looked like this, as the metal version does:
But what I got, even after working a bit to build up the nose and do a liner wash, is something so bad my camera can't even autofocus on it:
Who's Online 38 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)
- Dilvish the Deliverer
- David Brawley
- tiniest rhombus
- Lars Porsenna
- Xiwo Xerase
- Grumpy Cave Bear
- Knight of the Dinner Table