• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fanguad

fanguad

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 806 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

Hi all! I'm a beginning painter looking for comments and critiques. Here's a miniature that I finished recently:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some areas that I know need improvement:
I put the wash on way too heavy. I was able to clean up the color somewhat by "highlighting" with my original color.
I got glue on some lower parts of the mini so there's bits of basing material stuck in cracks.
  • Girot, klyons99, Pragma and 1 other like this

#2 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 6234 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

You just sold me, and many others, on this model. Expect a hand written thank you note from the Reaper people.
  • Girot likes this
A miniature venture of mine: http://www.cauldronbornminiatures.com

#3 MiniCannuck

MiniCannuck

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1067 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

Great paint job. I think you did a great job on the jem and the parchment. The thing that throws me is the "shiny model" syndrom. For me, it takes away from the model. Thanks for sharing - I think I want that model now!

#4 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 3232 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

I love it and also want one of these now, lol.

If you want to remedy the shiney issue I'd hit up the whole model with a dullcoat (spray-on matt varnish). One light coating should do the trick. Otherwise you could just hit up the skin and parchment with a brush-on matt varnish. The rest works just fine being shiney.
Active Events: Lysette | Dragons 2013 | Bad Boys | TMBG 2014 | WX14 | RC Songs |
Click this link to my gallery! I need the hits! ::P: | 2014 Painted Miniatures/Models: 23

#5 Mierot

Mierot

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

Nice paint job! I really like the browns.

I agree with Girot. A light spray of dullcote does wonders to knock down the shine. To keep an area shiny, such as metal or a gem, I either mask it with some painters tape before the dullcote, or I go back over it with some gloss varnish afterwards.

2014 Progress: 7 minis painted!

#6 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1930 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

Wonderful work! This is a great example of using a simple color palette and getting great results.

My only suggestion for now would be to pick up a small can of Testor's Dullcote and use it for your sealer rather than whatever sealer you used.

#7 Inarah

Inarah

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3887 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

Aside from issues already mentioned... the staff is a bit too close in color to the other browns on the figure. His right hand could use some more lining, especially in front. Also the silver fitting for the gem could use lining. The parchment could use some scribbling, text, or an image.
~It's not broken.... it's a conversion. ~

"I got my brother and his six year old hooked last week. They were soon back at the friendly local for more. Starts with a cute lil unicorn, next thing you're onto griffins and purple worms." ~ Carnacki the Ghost Finder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users