16 replies to this topic

#1 mustardgreens

mustardgreens

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

Hey all,

I have just painted two bases for my giant spiders. The problem is, I painted up my spiders and I'm unhappy with the way they look. I am going to start over. Any colour is fine... I just want to hear your advice.

Here are the pictures:

spider 1

Posted Image

spider 2
Posted Image

base 1
Posted Image

base 2
Posted Image

spider 1 + base 1
Posted Image
Posted Image

spider 2 + base 2
Posted Image

Personally, I kinda like the idea of the spiders being green. But I don't think these look realistic at all. Advice? Ideas?

Thanks,
mustardgreens
  • ced1106 likes this

#2 klyons99

klyons99

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 429 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

Depends, what sort of look are you going for? If you're looking for something fairly realistic, Mr Schubert put up a very nice article in The Craft on how he painted this model, you can find it here.
  • mustardgreens likes this

#3 mustardgreens

mustardgreens

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

Amazing! And I thought I had looked everywhere... thanks~ :D
  • klyons99 likes this

#4 klyons99

klyons99

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 429 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

Amazing! And I thought I had looked everywhere... thanks~ :D

Not a problem, just looked over that link the other day, then ran screaming and hid in the closet. Not a fan of spiders :ph34r:

#5 Shakandara

Shakandara

God of All Things Cheesecake

• Black Lightning
  • 5946 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

Personally, I kinda like the idea of the spiders being green. But I don't think these look realistic at all. Advice? Ideas?

Not realistic at all. :;):

Seriously, I think you are on the right track. Just keep working at it!

~v

Edited by Shakandara, 15 November 2012 - 03:43 PM.

Shakandara.com

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

Look! Auctions!! Buy my stuff!!!

#6 Inarah

Inarah

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 4111 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

I think the first one looks ok. The second one it looks like you tried to put yellow (green?) over a black or brown base and it got muddy. Your brightest spots are where the yellow pooled in cracks, and your highest spots are dark, which is the reverse of what you want.

I would put down more of the yellow/green color, using white where necessary to lighten the base first, then apply a dark wash to bring out the texture of the spider's body. Drybrush with more yellow once it is thoroughly dry.
~It's not broken.... it's a conversion. ~

"I got my brother and his six year old hooked last week. They were soon back at the friendly local for more. Starts with a cute lil unicorn, next thing you're onto griffins and purple worms." ~ Carnacki the Ghost Finder

#7 ced1106

ced1106

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 739 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

Well, I hope you get new spiders and don't repaint these!

DM: You finally reach the ruined temple. You seem not to be the only ones here. Luckily, it is daylight. Not-so-luckily, you see two giant spiders colored unusually on the ruined columns here...
Players: Uh... HOW unusual???
DM: (Places said spiders on table)
Player: Uh... Does the Speak with Insects spell work with giant spiders??
DM: They begin to meander towards you with a hint of purpose. Surely, they couldn't be intelligent?
Players: ACKKK! RUN AWAY KILL IT WITH FIRE CAST PROTECTION FROM POISON RUN RUN RUN
DM: Strangely, the clouds -- or something else in the skies gather -- and the area grows uncomfortably dark. Perhaps it is your imagination? The spiders proceed...
Player: I HACK AT IT KILL IT RUN AWAY RUN AWAY GRGLMRPHRRRMMMM...

#8 Corporea

Corporea

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2102 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

spiders are wonderful creatures! They eat all the bad insects in my garden! Seriously, I like the idea of a green tarantula-like a toxic tarantula. I think you just need some more contrast like Inarah said. I like what you did with the rusty kneed tarantula, but even his thorax and abdomen could use some highlights- maybe use your red to dry brush it a bit and make it brighter. I love the bases! Had you thought about getting some cotton balls and stretching them out to make webbing? Excellently spooky work!
oh, you mean I can put stuff here?  cool!  now to think of something...

#9 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1199 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

I like the first one a lot, it looks a lot like a tarantula. Maybe just some more drybrushed highlights will do. You can also try to paint the eyes paler to help them stand out. I painted these two spiders a while ago here they are if you'd like to see more exemple. Spider Spider

#10 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2022 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

I like the first one very much, but have to agree with Inarah's assessment of the green one. It just didn't execute properly.

About the only thing I'd do to the 1st one is a couple washes to dull him down a bit.

#11 mustardgreens

mustardgreens

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for the replies all! You have given me new inspiration. ^^

#12 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2022 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

That's why we're here! ^_^

#13 paintminion

paintminion

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1269 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

I am unable to help on this topic at all. The test has always been, if they make Sue shiver/twitch, you painted your spiders well.

If I run away, you did a great job.

That said, I think you need some darker washes in there, and on the autumn colored one, you need some color or more highlight on the bulbous backside.

I need to go now....quickly walking away from screen.
  • Adrift likes this

#14 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2984 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

You have a good basic set of colours on them, now you need (gah I have say this) more contrast.

I know the models are essentially life size tarantulas but the model is actually of a spider the size of a small car, it needs much more contrast between the highlight and shadow as a result.

(Note these instructions are for monotone, always read "whole model" as "all parts of the target color")
So my first point of advice is dry brush more highlights on. As a base coat you want a colour a shade darker than your intended midtone. You want nearly every strand of hair to have a touch of highlight. Go over the whole model this way, this is going to essentially be the midtone of the model. Then with a paler (more white/brighter) colour lightly dry brush on the higher points of the model (the higher parts of the legs and top of the abdomen and thorax). Then comes the washes, first apply a wash over the whole thing of a darker shade of your prior base colour, this will tidy everything up and pull the colours together. Then on the brown one use a black wash on the lower half of the abdomen and thorax, then towards the bottom of the legs (and under the joints) to create deep shadows. On the green one use purple shadow the same way you used black on the brown one.

Incidentally this is the sort of stuff hat works great over in the WIP thread.

Finally the bases are great work.
  • ced1106 likes this
Daily Encounter - Dungeons and Dragons 4E content for players and DMs.
Me in Reaper's Inspiration Gallery

#15 pocketcthulhu

pocketcthulhu

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 998 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

I was poking around on Fb and ran across this pic which reminded me of this post, very nice colors and doesn't look like it would be to hard to paint. "Gooty Sapphire Ornamental Tree Spider"
Posted Image
  • Metalchaos, mustardgreens and Nocturne like this

Warning: I am a Noob, Follow my advice at your own risk.  

8667879275_46308a2812_s.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users