• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ced1106

ced1106

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 643 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Stumbled upon these. While available at the OLGS, the date of the items is 2005, making me leery of receiving dried paints, and paints in paint pots and not eye droppers.

However! You get a good number of miniatures and MSP paints, and most of the paint techniques work with fantasy.

I know Hobby Q is the parent brand of Reaper, but I can't find more info about it, or an online store.

Any info would be much appreciated!

http://www.ccgarmory...reletopase.html
http://www.nobleknig..._4_A_GenreID_E_

#2 Goblyn

Goblyn

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 733 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

Hobby QUE is the latino brand of Hobby Q
  • ced1106 likes this

#3 Inarah

Inarah

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3887 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

They are older Reaper products. You are right to be wary about the paint as the Pro Paint pots did not have a long shelf life. But you never know, they might be in good condition having never been opened.

In any case, Reaper customer service is good about replacing defective items.
  • ced1106 likes this
~It's not broken.... it's a conversion. ~

"I got my brother and his six year old hooked last week. They were soon back at the friendly local for more. Starts with a cute lil unicorn, next thing you're onto griffins and purple worms." ~ Carnacki the Ghost Finder

#4 Serenity

Serenity

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 496 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

I'm not sure I'd pay full price for those kits due to the aged paint, but you might get lucky. As I recall, the paints for the Hobby-Q kits came in sample-sized pots on sprues, and the lids on those don't seal as as well the droppers. I let some of the sprues from my LTPKs sit for several years before I checked them out, and while many were quite thick, I think they were all salvageable. Those were not the Hobby-Q kits, but I suspect Reaper used the same type of sprues in those.
  • ced1106 likes this

Serenity
All I want is to have my peace of mind.(Boston)

Time and time again I've thanked them for a peace of mind.(The Outlaws, Green Grass and High Tides)

#5 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1930 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:54 AM

Those look well worth the price for the minis alone! If Reaper will trade out any old paint pots that have gone bad you've got a sure fire winner!

#6 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Cybermonkey Wrangler

• Bones Supporter
  • 9340 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:15 AM

I have one of these. The Angel, Dino, and Tiger one on the big blister card. Actually, mine is pretty recently bought . . . say four months? But it's old stock. I bought two, actually. My cousin's girlfriend liked my painted minis (see, Adrift? I do sometimes finish one!) and she was doing some paint by number kits so I figured maybe she'd make the transition.

She didn't (found them too small) - but the pot paints were still good. So it's possible that kit might still be workable, don't know about the others, but I'd haggle for a deal just in case if you're thinking about them.

I think these kits were produced to give Reaper a more family-friendly generic batch of paint kits for market. I like to think of them as the "lost LTPKs".

The one I got isn't shown at either of those two links, but MG has it in their out of stock directory:

http://www.miniature...1-pr-11137.html
  • Exwilly and ced1106 like this

Current Bones Count:  Total:  awaiting recount  Painted:  132

#7 Exwilly

Exwilly

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 614 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

I have one of these. The Angel, Dino, and Tiger one on the big blister card. Actually, mine is pretty recently bought . . . say four months? But it's old stock. I bought two, actually. My cousin's girlfriend liked my painted minis (see, Adrift? I do sometimes finish one!) and she was doing some paint by number kits so I figured maybe she'd make the transition.

She didn't (found them too small) - but the pot paints were still good. So it's possible that kit might still be workable, don't know about the others, but I'd haggle for a deal just in case if you're thinking about them.

I think these kits were produced to give Reaper a more family-friendly generic batch of paint kits for market. I like to think of them as the "lost LTPKs".

The one I got isn't shown at either of those two links, but MG has it in their out of stock directory:

http://www.miniature...1-pr-11137.html

u finish a model? i got to see it to believe it.
  • pocketcthulhu likes this
"Remember practice doesn't make perfect but it sure does help only perfect practice makes perfect but you cant be perfect without making mistakes and learning from them." dont know if this is an actual quote by someone lol.

Naturally, he died because a wizard exploded.

like i tell my employees at work who complain about working. your here to work right. yes they reply. your getting paid right. yes they reply. good now go clean the restrooms

#8 Wren

Wren

Godlike

• Artists
  • 1967 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

I'd have to double-check to be sure, but I stirred the little pots of the one I have recently when I was reviewing my paint in general. I think there may have been a few pots that weren't in great shape. It's not a huge amount of paint. I'd suggest not counting on the paint, and evaluating them from the POV of whether the value of the other contents matches the price you're being offered. I was pretty impressed with the painting directions, They're thorough while still being short enough to not be overwhelming. The folks interested in the painting kits primarily for the instructions rather than paint might want to check these out.
  • ced1106 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users