• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Carnacki the Ghost Finder

Carnacki the Ghost Finder

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 744 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

This was really fun to paint because it had no face! Also, I could work on blending on the cloak using craft paint. I decided only parts of this guy are haunted, for the sake of variety.
Cheers.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6506.JPG
  • IMG_6511.JPG

• Metalchaos, ObsidianCrane and klawzie like this

A painted mini is better than an unpainted mini.

#2 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5915 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

The colors you used give him a retro 8\16-bit feel. Also that cloak is craft paints? Well done.
  • Carnacki the Ghost Finder and klawzie like this

@monkeysloth

New: Current Contest and Active Ribbon list | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#3 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2493 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

Good call MonkeySloth!

I like the left to right symmetry you have going on with the 'ethereal' parts (sword, armor, shield) which draws my eyes across the mini, and the colors you chose really support each other. It's hard to argue with the results you get from craft paint. ^_^

The only thing my mind has trouble with is the thick-ish dark-lining you did between the glove and the shield. If the shield is ethereal and is casting it's own glow, then the back of the glove would be more lit and the front of the glove would actually be more shadowed. If that seems too nit-picky I apologize, I just think you're getting some great results!
  • Carnacki the Ghost Finder likes this

#4 Carnacki the Ghost Finder

Carnacki the Ghost Finder

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 744 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:54 AM

The colors you used give him a retro 8\16-bit feel. Also that cloak is craft paints? Well done.

That's because I plan out my colour schemes on a Vic 20. Doesn't everyone? Craft paint lets me waste all the paint I want working on technique while I wait for the good stuff to come in next year.

Good call MonkeySloth!

I like the left to right symmetry you have going on with the 'ethereal' parts (sword, armor, shield) which draws my eyes across the mini, and the colors you chose really support each other. It's hard to argue with the results you get from craft paint. ^_^

The only thing my mind has trouble with is the thick-ish dark-lining you did between the glove and the shield. If the shield is ethereal and is casting it's own glow, then the back of the glove would be more lit and the front of the glove would actually be more shadowed. If that seems too nit-picky I apologize, I just think you're getting some great results!

Thanks for the comments -- Not nit-picky at all. I think this is a great idea and I will keep it in my mind as I have another of these kicking around. At the moment I haven't gotten to working on light sources like that yet. I have to work up a little more confidence first.
  • MonkeySloth, Adrift and klyons99 like this

A painted mini is better than an unpainted mini.

#5 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2493 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

You're off to an amazing start for sure. I just wanted to point it out as an exercise in thought!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Guardian Wraith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users