Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carnacki the Ghost Finder

02148: Guardian Wraith

5 posts in this topic

This was really fun to paint because it had no face! Also, I could work on blending on the cloak using craft paint. I decided only parts of this guy are haunted, for the sake of variety.

Cheers.

post-7755-0-20306600-1353169120_thumb.jpg

post-7755-0-31702600-1353169132_thumb.jpg

3 people like this

The colors you used give him a retro 8\16-bit feel. Also that cloak is craft paints? Well done.

2 people like this

Good call MonkeySloth!

I like the left to right symmetry you have going on with the 'ethereal' parts (sword, armor, shield) which draws my eyes across the mini, and the colors you chose really support each other. It's hard to argue with the results you get from craft paint. ^_^

The only thing my mind has trouble with is the thick-ish dark-lining you did between the glove and the shield. If the shield is ethereal and is casting it's own glow, then the back of the glove would be more lit and the front of the glove would actually be more shadowed. If that seems too nit-picky I apologize, I just think you're getting some great results!

1 person likes this

The colors you used give him a retro 8\16-bit feel. Also that cloak is craft paints? Well done.

That's because I plan out my colour schemes on a Vic 20. Doesn't everyone? Craft paint lets me waste all the paint I want working on technique while I wait for the good stuff to come in next year.

Good call MonkeySloth!

I like the left to right symmetry you have going on with the 'ethereal' parts (sword, armor, shield) which draws my eyes across the mini, and the colors you chose really support each other. It's hard to argue with the results you get from craft paint. ^_^

The only thing my mind has trouble with is the thick-ish dark-lining you did between the glove and the shield. If the shield is ethereal and is casting it's own glow, then the back of the glove would be more lit and the front of the glove would actually be more shadowed. If that seems too nit-picky I apologize, I just think you're getting some great results!

Thanks for the comments -- Not nit-picky at all. I think this is a great idea and I will keep it in my mind as I have another of these kicking around. At the moment I haven't gotten to working on light sources like that yet. I have to work up a little more confidence first.

3 people like this

You're off to an amazing start for sure. I just wanted to point it out as an exercise in thought!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By terminalmancer
      I sent DSMiles some stuff for the miniature exchange!

He wanted metal, preferably, and stuff from lower SKUs. I hadn't spent a lot of time down there, so it was fun to look around. I picked out a wizard that looked fun, a knight with an unusually short cloak (more historically accurate, but less epic-looking, I believe?), and three wraiths--which I hadn't seen before, and thought were pretty awesome!

I hadn't really done any basing before. Sorry about that!  I hope you found the basing at least marginally acceptable. I was aiming for a bit of a dungeon-y look with some moss to match the old-school vibe of the minis. Speaking of those, I have some individual pics!

02005: Tox

Tox was my favorite. He's also one of my best jobs so far! I had a lot of fun with him and the wife was sad to ship him off. I may have to paint up another.

02188: Knight Templar

I had fun with this one too. I think he'd be great for freehand but I don't think my freehand is up to snuff for a mini exchange yet. Lots of canvas to make your mark on.

02617: Female Wraith

The wraiths are just cool. I had a bunch of ideas for things to try--one of them involved suspending some bluish-white-ish pigments in clear acrylic in the hoods to give a lighting effect, but I couldn't get that to work too well. Oh man the Vallejo water effects were awful to work with. Interestingly enough, because they're water-based, they slowly dissolve the drop of paint and create a solution of water, water effects acrylic, and pigments. It's a cool process to watch but also a sad one as you watch the blob of paint you were hoping to keep get slowly disintegrated. And then you have to scrape all the water effects out.

02148: Guardian Wraith

I wanted to give the wraiths some sort of effect to show from a distance that they're not just dudes (or ladies) hidden in cloaks. You see wraiths all the time with glowy implements, so I tried to recreate that. With at least some success, I think! It's hard to get the blending to look right on the dark cloak. On the lighter brown clothing, experiments showed that it would look green, which I was not expecting! But weirdly enough, I think those bits turned out looking better. At least to me.

02081: Fog Wraith

• By Marvin
      The adventure continues. First up, the only Reaper mini I've stumbled across in the several lots I've bought on Ebay, a Guardian Wraith by Bob Ridolfi:

I recently saw dispensed some advice about highlighting black with turquoise. So I tried that, here--a very light turquoise. I liked the looks of it, so I also used that for the detailing on the shield, hoping to get a glowing look.

And then there's Lanah the Lost, Barbarian Princess, from Ral Partha's Fantasy Adventurers line:

My first bikini-babe warrior-chick. Love love love this sculpt, even if it is a little ridiculous. I really made an effort not to holdback with the highlights on her. I double washed with Reaper's flesh wash and then dry-brushed with what I felt was a super-light tone to try and make her pop. Also, the first butt cheeks I've painted.

And finally Grenadier's Necromancer (or Illusionist (Evil):

Another sculpt I love (though it's a wee wonky in a couple spots). I really wanted to embrace the Necromancer sort of feel to this piece that was at least sometimes billed as a necromancer, so I thought blue was the way to go. Hoping it's popping. I also assumed it to be glowing, and I tried to limit my highlighting to areas affected by that glow--not OSL or whatnot, obviously, but I'm kind of feeling that general territory out. Don't know if it even remotely makes sense as-is or not. But. Yeah. Also tried making a little wood grain on the staff.

As always, I'm totally open to feedback, especially if it'll help me improve. Thanks for looking.
  • Who's Online   21 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)