• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Corporea

Corporea

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1970 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

This is that yellow/red with green glaze color scheme I wanted to try out, so I'll just use her for tabletop. It works better on larger areas. Trying to learn NMM, so feedback would be awesome. Thanks!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
  • buglips*the*goblin, evergrin, Girot and 1 other like this
oh, you mean I can put stuff here?  cool!  now to think of something...

#2 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1928 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

How ironic that my wife and some of her friends are doing tie dye at this very moment!

Good start on the NMM. NMM is all about creating contrast between light and dark parts of the metal and using really thinned transitional layers of grey-white with a smidgen of blue mixed in. It's all about patience!!
  • Corporea likes this

#3 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 4646 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:42 AM

Wow that color explosion is pretty cool. NMM wise I think you chose one of the hardest to start with as instead of doing dark to light contrasting you're doing that representing colors, yellow, that are a pain to blend.

The helmet she's holding is really well done but the overall paint job is a bit confusing as the highlights are red on that but on other things they're yellow (guess that's cloth), and then you're using green and yellow on all the other pieces of metal. I think if you would have stuck to the same color scheme as that helmet you would have had a stronger piece overall as the green\yellow combo is pretty tough to pull off.

But seriously on that helmet, very cool effect. I'm saving that picture for future reference.
  • Metalchaos and Corporea like this

@monkeysloth

---My Tutorials---

New: Sculpting and Painting Rocks | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#4 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1198 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

I agree with the red to yellow blending on the helmet it looks excellent.
The sword NMM is very nice too. I'm still learning this technique, gray silver is very hard to do.
I like to add a color to the blend, like to add a pale blue as a mid color for silver and steel.
  • Corporea likes this

#5 Corporea

Corporea

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1970 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

thanks guys! Actually, the only part I was trying to do NMM was the sword, but as it turns out when you put green over copper and yellow it does looks like oxidized metal! I like the effect. heh- I should change the title to hippie paladin! The helm is just 2 brush blended yellow and red with a blue-green glaze. I used matte medium for the glaze.
  • evergrin likes this
oh, you mean I can put stuff here?  cool!  now to think of something...

#6 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Cybermonkey Wrangler

• Bones Supporter
  • 9280 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

Sometimes you just never know what kind of cool thing you'll discover when you go mad and mix colours up. She looks pretty wild. I think that would make fantastic elf armor.

Current Bones Count:  Total:  awaiting recount  Painted:  132

#7 klawzie

klawzie

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 569 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

Yes - my immediate thought yesterday wasn't "hippie", it was the dragon-blooded (specifically Wood) from Exalted. Then, after realizing that it was not likely, I just assumed it was meant to look plant-themed, like variegated leaves. Keep looking and still can't see her any other way. xD;
  • Corporea likes this

#8 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2833 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

I think my colour blindness is making the paint job on this mini look very different to me than it does everyone else based on their responses.

Which is interesting in and of itself.
  • Adrift and Corporea like this
Daily Encounter - Dungeons and Dragons 4E content for players and DMs.
Me in Reaper's Inspiration Gallery

#9 Caffiene

Caffiene

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 252 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:14 AM

I think my colour blindness is making the paint job on this mini look very different to me than it does everyone else based on their responses.

Which is interesting in and of itself.

Hah. Wouldnt by any chance be red-green? I can imagine that would indeed look very different...

#10 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1928 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:54 AM

Sometimes you just never know what kind of cool thing you'll discover when you go mad and mix colours up. She looks pretty wild. I think that would make fantastic elf armor.

Still trying to justify that nightmare of a paint scheme from a few months back I see; the one where everyone decided what colors you should use. :upside:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users