Sign in to follow this  
Sergeant_Crunch

ENIGMA

Not miniatures but still showing off.

Today I got to spend the day showing people a 3-rotor ENIGMA machine, two U.S. Army encryption devices, and what was left of a Japanese PURPLE machine and explaining how they worked and what their significance was. Met a lot of old vets and traded war stories too.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/536785_4639775566440_1714572985_n.jpg

• Like 4

That is pretty cool, Sarn't! How did you get picked to do that job? I know you are a military guy, but, are you part of the military intelligence? (My son was, I already used up all the jokes.) Did you, *GASP*, volunteer, because you had read a lot about the machines? Were you given a class beforehand? Pretty neat. Sure beats having to run the ring toss, or bus the picnic tables during the appreciation day. Well done!

That is pretty cool, Sarn't! How did you get picked to do that job? I know you are a military guy, but, are you part of the military intelligence? (My son was, I already used up all the jokes.) Did you, *GASP*, volunteer, because you had read a lot about the machines? Were you given a class beforehand? Pretty neat. Sure beats having to run the ring toss, or bus the picnic tables during the appreciation day. Well done!

I can neither confirm nor deny being in MI. One of the guys that works for me volunteered to do it, but then something came up so I took his place so he could take care of it. I already had a fair bit of knowledge on the ENIGMA, but not the other devices so did some reading up on them prior to the event.

The original machines prior to the German government adopting them were much larger.

Not a shed, we were in the vehicle bay at the firefighters' school on my installation. The whole event was to allow members of the local community (which has always been very supportive of the military) an opportunity to come on base and see different displays and demonstrations. Normally these items are on display at our BN headquarters.