xanderhook

Painting Transparent Bones - oh yes, there are led's

44 posts in this topic

Added a few more. Getting late. After Thanksgiving i will finish up the paint and get more pics, hopefully with something better than my phone :blink:

I love the subtlety of the fire in the middle row of pictures. I definitely would like to know how to paint it this way! (:

Any luck with a thin layer of gesso mixed with a little dark paint? I'm finding it useful to show detail on a regular Bones mini, while not covering the whiteness of the miniature itself.

These are the figures I look forward to experimenting with the most. The smaller fire looks great and seems to go well with a led base.

Things to remember for painting transparent bones:

1. If you plan on painting them at all, I HIGHLY suggest washing them first with dawn or something similar to get all oil and residue from handling off of them

2. Primer or Matte finish before painting… more on that in a minute

3. Patience. It takes more time to paint these than other bones or metals. Not sure if it’s the material or what, but paint seemed to take a little longer to dry in between layers

4. Paint will run on this material easier than others

5. The green seemed to have less traction than the red for gripping paint and primer

6. Light travels farther through the green than the red

7. Be careful with what spray prep products you use, some will take WEEKS to dry, others are fine.

Here is what worked:

1. For areas where I wanted darker colors, brush on primer for spot jobs worked great. It will block more of the transparency, but the colors come through better

2. If you want to paint, but not block as much of the transparency, I used Testors Dullcote Flat Clear spray (thank you Martin Jones for letting me borrow it)

3. You CAN do a wash, but depending on the effect you want depends on how you have to apply it and what prep steps

4. LED lighting from bottom works like a charm, and you can paint part of the base to block light which will completely change the look

5. After painting use a sealer of some sort. I found that my fingers (which to be honest are as rough as sandpaper) rubbed paint off of edges that were not sealed post painting.

6. Once paint dries, dropping the mini into your paint cup and swirling vigorously off and on for an hour will NOT remove the paint. It stays put after drying. But it is fun!

7. Doing a “smoke wash” on the flames worked well, starting with a thin layer of sprayed on Dullcote, then, turn the mini upside down and apply the wash from whatever color you used to create your wash (I used walnut brown). The wash will run and gather at the tips of the flames which creates a light smoke look.

Things that did not work so great:

1. Trying to paint without washing the figures will cause streaking when you hit an area with finger oil or molding residue from when it was created

2. Thinning paint as much as you would normally on a metal figure will take several more layers to get the same effect

3. Using brush on sealer as a paint prep did not give the paint enough to grip onto and resulted in runny and streaky paint

4. Do not bother painting too much if you are going to use a strong\bright light, it will show every brush stroke through from the light inside

5. Transparent Bones do NOT float. They sink which makes elemental vs. haunt battle sin the tub a little tricky.

6. DO NOT HEAT the Transparent mini. The coloration changes and the fumes are stinky.

17 people like this

That green. <3 I love celadon/jade.

Thanks for sharing the tips and showing the photos! Exciting!

I like the idea of painting the bases on the green ones. I think I'll leave the rest 'au natural'.

6. DO NOT HEAT the Transparent mini. The coloration changes and the fumes are stinky.
How much heat are we talking?
  • Hot water?
  • Boiling water?
  • Heat Gun?
  • Toaster Oven?
  • Oven?

An excellent question Frank.

1 person likes this

I know dipping isn't exactly popular but I did some translucent Blue Flaming skeletons from Castle Ravenloft and used Quickshade.

It really did a great job on the clear plastic material. its translucent you don't lose the transparency. and due to the thicker nature of the varnish it didn't bead up and just settled in the recesses.

Looking at the amazing paint jobs Xanderhook did of the Flame elemental and specters I think the combination could really add clarity and form to the midsection that isn't painted.

heres link to post with pictures here on the boards

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/45799-painting-translucent-plastic-miniatures/#entry636655

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now