Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reaperbryan

Translucents previewed

57 posts in this topic

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-an-evolution-of-gaming-min/posts

Many of you already saw the minis in the thread Charles started after we asked him to please experiment with painting them and to give us his honest experiences and feedback (here).

But some of you may have missed it, so there they are!!

As it stands now, a little over 2/3 of the Vampire level are complete (manufacturing is done) and about 1/3 of the Options are complete. We have received production samples of over 120 of the figures, and are assured that more production samples are on their way. Once we have the complete vampire set confirmed complete, and in sample form, we'll post pics of that.

As an aside, we're still having a hard time shooting pictures of bones that showcase the detail on screen as well as in real life, and this is especially evident on the clears, where the pics show hardly any detail beyond the silhouette. Any advice would be appreciated.*

*I'm not a professional photographer, I'm a caster with delusions of grandeur...

3 people like this

Spiffy. I think airbrushing may be the way to go on those. At least that's my plan.

You guys may need a light box.. they make some collapsable ones fairly cheaply..

Dip them maybe? At least for regular bones.

With the translucent ones maybe a really strong light right behind each one will make them "glow" and make details appear.

You guys may need a light box.. they make some collapsable ones fairly cheaply..

We have one. We use it. I have used it for taking pictures for over 7 years.

The translucent nature of the material is the problem.

Oh - backlightling just makes it worse. We find we get the best results with only one light, instead of our usual 3 light rig, but those still aren't what I'd call good pictures.

I think you're best bet is to just use contrasting ink wash. They are just too small to have think enough spots to have the light half enough for details to emerge properly

Or maybe straight black and white photography could help?

I think you're best bet is to just use contrasting ink wash. They are just too small to have think enough spots to have the light half enough for details to emerge properly

Our experiments with Ink wash didn't go over so well... they show the detail, but in photos they look wretched. I'm serious, I've tried everything I can think of.

This may be a dumb idea but have you tried lighting them from below?

use light coming up through the plastic as the only (or main) one for the photo, put a paper/card mask on the light box, cut holes in it for the bases to sit in and see what they look like. If they are translucent enough they should photograph ok

It worked reasonable well when I was photographing some plants with the colour removed using alcohol in the lab a while back)

EDIT: and now i've read the how the painting's going thread I see you've tried this already too

oh well

Hmm, well, if that doesn't work, do you think you could prime and dry-brush one and stand it next to the naked, untouched one? Having the primed and dry-brushed model side-by-side with the bare one could reinforce the level of detail present, but still show the neat translucent effect. Problem is you'd have to basically ruin one.

We have one. We use it. I have used it for taking pictures for over 7 years.

The translucent nature of the material is the problem.

Oh - backlightling just makes it worse. We find we get the best results with only one light, instead of our usual 3 light rig, but those still aren't what I'd call good pictures.

Give them a light coat of talc/corn starch, wipe most of it off the raise areas while leaving the reliefs well dusted, use a black background, single light source from the front lower left.

As a complete minis novice, my only input here is that what I'm seeing in the pictures is even better than I expected. I mean, I get that they're translucent, and detail is lost because of that, but more than enough is there for me to be delighted.

Some WIP of them being painted:

Translucent2.jpg

Translucent3.jpg

Translucent4.jpg

And some solo shots - I'm particularly pleased with how the Ghostly Summons that has not been painted on came out! Just took a lot of patience!

Banshee1.jpg

Summons1.jpg

Burn2.jpg

I will try to get more not-painted shots later today!

Oooooh. Very nice!

Reminds me of why I used to love to play with transparent plastic tchotchkes from the state fair.

The larger size does help to see the detail. I think the idea of showing one primed and one clear is good.

Is it just me, or does anybody else suddenly feel the urge to eat these gummi-looking miniatures?

2 people like this