CashWiley

Freezing paint

I ordered both the HD paint sets across the 12 days. It was below 20 here. They were fine...then again I nearly jumped the post guy when he came to the door...but it was also about 90min later than normal...bottles a little chilly, but they're all fine.

• Like 1

I've been using the paints I was posting about last year all year long without any problems. I did have a chalky white that I stopped using just in case that was the issue (since I had several Pure Whites from L2PKs/KS). But I've used dozens of paints and they're awesome.Referencing the other thread, I need to find something to paint with Christmas Wreath green to see if the bottle that sat out in low 20s for four hours in my mailbox was affected.

Got any orcs?

• Like 4

I know it's an old thread, and I usually don't bump ones that are over four years old, but it's question regarding the exact same topic, but with a twist..

Canadian winters can be rather harsh, and annoyingly unpredictable....  In case my local retailers don't have physical stock on hand and I have to order in, will the paints survive transit through -20C weather and handling by CanadaPost?

• Like 2

If it makes anyone feel better, I once accidentally left some Vallejo paints in my car during -18oC weather for two nights straight, and they were still fine. I certainly wouldn't risk the temperature being any lower, however.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

If it makes anyone feel better, I once accidentally left some Vallejo paints in my car during -18oC weather for two nights straight, and they were still fine. I certainly wouldn't risk the temperature being any lower, however.

It does alleviate some of my concerns ^_^  I mainly mention the -20C simply because we do sometimes get cold snaps that drop that far (like the past week and a half, where windchills were a lot closer to -40C...).  Packages usually only take a week (or slightly more) to get here by USPS "First Class", and so it's more of a "what if at the start of that second week the mercury suddenly plummets" kind of worry that I have.

Sure, I could wait until April or May for fairly "certain" weather but my current paints are kind of dead, and I'd rather not buy Citadel again, as ressurection attempts on paint pots aren't always successful (or you thin them way too much) - (edit) Well, okay, I've had good experiences in the past with Citadel, but my entire current stock was pretty close to dried out and didn't really come back when I tried to resurrect them, and I've always wanted to try Reaper out over the years anyways, and the Learn To Paint Kits seem like a nice entry into the system alongside actual instructions (instead of my old method of "hey, let's try this and see how it goes!") (end edit)

Edited by WhiteWulfe
Added clarification to last paragraph
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Canadian winters can be rather harsh, and annoyingly unpredictable....  In case my local retailers don't have physical stock on hand and I have to order in, will the paints survive transit through -20C weather and handling by CanadaPost?

You are taking a risk.

The best answer is maybe. 

We see many complaints of frozen paint during winter months.

I recommend not investing heavily until the weather warms.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, ladystorm said:

You are taking a risk.

The best answer is maybe. 

We see many complaints of frozen paint during winter months.

I recommend not investing heavily until the weather warms.

Many thanks.  I'll ask around the local gaming stores, and see if any of the three that are in my delivery area happen to have a reasonable stock on hand, or even better, the kits I'm looking to start out with ^_^

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Many thanks.  I'll ask around the local gaming stores, and see if any of the three that are in my delivery area happen to have a reasonable stock on hand, or even better, the kits I'm looking to start out with ^_^

You may also be able to have paints shipped to the FLGS and held. They'd be in during business hours, when you may be out. Then pick it up on a weekend. However, if the shipping trucks aren't heated, that's its own problem. 

• Like 4

If you can get the package held at the local post office that should also be good.

I'm lucky in that the winters are pretty mild here ( It seldom strays below -5C), my post is delivered around 4:30pm, and I get home not long after that most days... 

But anything that is too big to fit my post box will automatically end up at the local post office, and I get a notice to pick it up.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I know it's an old thread, and I usually don't bump ones that are over four years old, but it's question regarding the exact same topic, but with a twist..

If you have a community mailbox with a package section, I would strongly recommend not taking the risk.  It will be most vulnerable waiting there for you to get it, and if your Canada Post outlet is like mine you may not get the notice (and key) until the next day even though the package is already in the box.  If you have home delivery, it's maybe 50/50 depending on regional factors along the route. 

In any case, I would not order between the last week of December to the first week of March except at utmost emergency.  If the situation was dire enough to require that, I would pay for the faster shipping on the shipping selection page to mitigate the risk.  It's more expensive, but if I need the paint badly enough to not wait on it then it gives me better odds. 

Remember that all paints are not equal, and some may suffer damage at temperatures that others would survive.  Because of the unusually harsh winter months we experience, going forward I would suggest planning out what paints you might want to get and getting your liquid supplies between April and November.  Other supplies and figures are better purchases during cold winter months. 

It is a bit of a pain in the butt to have to do it this way, but it's a good routine to get into (it will also help make sure you don't run out of something when you need it, since you'll be monitoring your stock levels and what you use). 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Cyradis said:

You may also be able to have paints shipped to the FLGS and held. They'd be in during business hours, when you may be out. Then pick it up on a weekend. However, if the shipping trucks aren't heated, that's its own problem. 

Quite true, and it is something I've contemplated - in fact, it's something one of my stores suggested since they regularly order from Reaper, but usually it's miniatures as the main paint line they carry is Formula P3.  As for being out during business hours, that's usually what I'm up to (unless it's one of the three weeks I'm off every year) since I deliver coffee to offices ^_^  One nice perk of one of my local stores is that I can order it in without having to pay up front, and two of them are in my delivery route, so it isn't all that hard to just "take a lunch or coffee break" at one of them ^_^

5 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

If you have a community mailbox with a package section, I would strongly recommend not taking the risk.  It will be most vulnerable waiting there for you to get it, and if your Canada Post outlet is like mine you may not get the notice (and key) until the next day even though the package is already in the box.  If you have home delivery, it's maybe 50/50 depending on regional factors along the route. 

In any case, I would not order between the last week of December to the first week of March except at utmost emergency.  If the situation was dire enough to require that, I would pay for the faster shipping on the shipping selection page to mitigate the risk.  It's more expensive, but if I need the paint badly enough to not wait on it then it gives me better odds. 

Remember that all paints are not equal, and some may suffer damage at temperatures that others would survive.  Because of the unusually harsh winter months we experience, going forward I would suggest planning out what paints you might want to get and getting your liquid supplies between April and November.  Other supplies and figures are better purchases during cold winter months. 

It is a bit of a pain in the butt to have to do it this way, but it's a good routine to get into (it will also help make sure you don't run out of something when you need it, since you'll be monitoring your stock levels and what you use). 

o_O  Sooooooo glad I live in an apartment building and don't have to deal with such things (at least the outside ones, apartments ones come with their own issues) - it's instead dealing with the vacation coverage people who just go "eh, it's a residential, I'll just delivery notice it".  Weird part is half of the community I'm part of has been converted to the boxes, while the other half is door to door, sometimes with it literally being one side of the street that gets door to door while the other side has to walk upwards of two blocks to the community boxes...

Definitely good advice on ordering.  Seems none of my actually local hobby shops carry Reaper paints, but a few will order them in for me if I ask...  Interestingly enough, apparently one just outside of town carries the learn to paint kits, and has both of them apparently in stock too.  Weird part is that it's pretty much the same price to have it shipped to my house (or work) through their online ordering as it would be for bus fare there and back, and since it would only be a single day of transit (with most of that time spent in a warehouse) it should be fairly safe no matter what temperatures it is outside (although it's only supposed to be single digit negatives this week).  Pity that that shop doesn't carry individuals though.

Many thanks for all the tips and advice, looks like I'll be able to acquire some of the items locally, and then I'll have to wait a bit for the others (or keep an eye on the long range forecast and then attempt a small order when things are looking like they'll be close to 0C most of the time)

• Like 3

On 1/2/2018 at 6:41 AM, Gadgetman! said:

If you can get the package held at the local post office that should also be good.

I'm lucky in that the winters are pretty mild here ( It seldom strays below -5C), my post is delivered around 4:30pm, and I get home not long after that most days... 

But anything that is too big to fit my post box will automatically end up at the local post office, and I get a notice to pick it up.

To add on to what Buglips said about the cold, Canada Post offers their Flex Delivery service (free!) that assigns you a PO Box to a post office of your choosing. They'll give you the post office's address and your own customer number, and you can ship any package to that address where it'll remain safe and warm until you pick it up. They send you an email notification to go get it within the next 15 days.

Before that service, I never dared to order any paints during the winter season (and missed some December promos). And because of my work schedule that required traveling, the community mail box and regular mail box were not viable solutions for any large orders the rest of the year.

Only downside I've had is that UPS does not ship to PO Boxes (unless it's their own warehouse), but USPS does.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

To add on to what Buglips said about the cold, Canada Post offers their Flex Delivery service (free!) that assigns you a PO Box to a post office of your choosing. They'll give you the post office's address and your own customer number, and you can ship any package to that address where it'll remain safe and warm until you pick it up. They send you an email notification to go get it within the next 15 days.

Before that service, I never dared to order any paints during the winter season (and missed some December promos). And because of my work schedule that required traveling, the community mail box and regular mail box were not viable solutions for any large orders the rest of the year.

Only downside I've had is that UPS does not ship to PO Boxes (unless it's their own warehouse), but USPS does.

That's... I totally had forgotten about FlexDelivery from Canada Post....   It's an idea I'll keep in mind, because it would definitely keep the risk factor down. ^_^

Morning after edit: Yup, giving FlexDelivery a shot for the learn to paint kits (from a "local" shop, aka nearby city, an FLGS that also does mail/online ordering, and it was $0.25 more to ship than it would to pay bus fare by cash, and since I wouldn't be able to go until the weekend anyways...  I'll take an overall 35ish minute walk over three hours of on a bus ^_^), and a few things direct from Reaper (several miniatures including Ebonwrath, and two of the colours that I'd rolled for him :P ) (end edit)

Edited by WhiteWulfe
added additional text
  • Like 2

I’m still confused as to whether I should order paint or not right now. What about inks freezing?  Are inks more or less bothered by cold than the regular paint?  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Flit said:

I’m still confused as to whether I should order paint or not right now. What about inks freezing?  Are inks more or less bothered by cold than the regular paint?  

I would wager that any water based solution should avoid freezing. All of the various additives do not freeze and thaw equally.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 1