CashWiley

Freezing paint

Flit, if I were in northwest Arkansas right now, I'd feel comfortable ordering paint. 

I'm in Indianapolis, and we are experiencing single degree  temps during the day, so I'm not going to order paint for a couple weeks, at least.

I am less worried about ink, but again, single-digit highs. 

I asked a local store to order some Scale75 paints, and they responded "Scale75?  Is that something off Kickstarter?"  Sigh.  But I'm not going to risk paint right now.  I can make due until spring.

• Like 1

Just ordered a bottle of ink, so we will find out in a week or so. I’m not too worried about it. I did put off ordering more paints that I wanted, mostly because I’m not ready to use them yet. 

• Like 1

How many paints are we talking her? Ten? Twenty? A hundred??

The main advantage of buying paint from an FLGS is that you can actually see the product before buying it. Or, in this case, know that the product isn't damaged before purchasing. The cost for this is the difference between MSRP and tax vs. the OLGS price plus shipping. For a single bottle, this cost is less than a buck, well worth paying the store at low quantities. If the store doesn't carry the paint, or any paint at all, yeah, that's a different situation. I guess if you backed previous Bones KS, you still have a stack of Bones to scrape and prime... <_<

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 1

I ordered just one bottle of in yesterday along with some minis and replacement caps for some of my MSPs. There were only 8 that I decided to wait to order. I would much prefer to buy my paints locally but no one carries MSPs. The nearest shops that do carry them are 2-3 hours away and I haven’t visited or called them to see how much stock  they have on hand. As for how many minis I already have, probably more than I can ever get painted.

• Like 3

I just emailed Reaper last week about several bottles of paint that I ordered on January 2016 for delivery to Akron Ohio. The paints were chunky/gritty and no amount of shaking or thinning would fix them. Reapers response was:  it looks like they’ve been frozen. Do not order paints to cold destinations where they may freeze. 

Video of the paint I asked Reaper about: 

See post here: http://sethe.green

Edited by Nightwing
  • Like 1

I stumbled on this topic trying to figure out my issue after ordering a Learn-to-Paint kit and having most of the kit's paints being unmixable and chunky.  I thought perhaps it was a manufacturing error, but this makes more sense.  I'm guessing there is no salvaging them?  I'd hate to pitch out the entire kit.

25 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I stumbled on this topic trying to figure out my issue after ordering a Learn-to-Paint kit and having most of the kit's paints being unmixable and chunky.  I thought perhaps it was a manufacturing error, but this makes more sense.  I'm guessing there is no salvaging them?  I'd hate to pitch out the entire kit.

Freezing doesn't always kill paints, but when it does I've never seen them be recovered. If you just got the kit though I'd return it to where you bought it rather than throwing it out though since it may have been like that before they ever sent it to you.

One other thing I don't see mentioned here is that while having the paint delivered to a store does improve the odds it will be good (and gives you an easy place to return it to if it's bad), it doesn't guarantee anything. It's not unheard of for packages and mail to sit in unheated spaces well before the point it gets left in front of someone's house.

• Like 1

I contacted the seller on Amazon but no response yet.  I'm not sure it will be returnable because I had already taken it apart and started painting the first thing when I realized that it was so difficult and frustrating because this wasn't how the paint was actually supposed to work (being this is my first time ever painting).  

I don't have a FLGS to buy the stuff from so I'll probably just have to cut my losses because I really don't want to risk this happening again.  Caveat emptor when buying online, I suppose.

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

I contacted the seller on Amazon but no response yet.  I'm not sure it will be returnable because I had already taken it apart and started painting the first thing when I realized that it was so difficult and frustrating because this wasn't how the paint was actually supposed to work (being this is my first time ever painting).  

I don't have a FLGS to buy the stuff from so I'll probably just have to cut my losses because I really don't want to risk this happening again.  Caveat emptor when buying online, I suppose.

You can also order directly from Reaper using the shop link on the main page:  http://www.reapermini.com/     It may be less risky than online through a third party, the selection is better, it's free shipping at a certain point ($35 US if you're in North America), and sometimes you get free stuff at $40 or greater (right now it's a free Dungeon Dwellers skeleton). 

As for the learn to paint kit, which one was it?  If it's one of the newer Bones ones then when the weather gets warmer and less risky (so you don't wind up with more frozen paint) you can try help@reapermini.com and let them know the issue.  As I'm not a Reaper employee I can't guarantee they'd replace the damaged paint (this is something I've never had to email in about since all of my frozen paint were just bonus samples), but I can tell you that Reaper very much wants its customers to get maximum enjoyment and satisfaction from their product and their customer service is extremely good. 

It's a great hobby and we'd love to have you join in, it's just unfortunate timing with the frozen paint.  Not a good first experience!  But if there's a way to sort it all out, I think you'll have a lot of fun with it so I'm hoping you won't give up yet.  It sucks having to time liquid purchases around winter, and sucks even more finding that out the hard way, but as a hobby there's a lot of payoff to it. 

• Like 5

This was the Core Skills kit.  I also got the Layer Up kit, but it came from a different seller (and arrived on a different day) and the paint all seems fine.  I took a long drive to a hobby shop that sells Bones minis (a few of which I snagged, because, you know why not?) but it turns out not the paint, so I bought some substitutions from another manufacturer for the paint colors in the Core Skills kit that were unusable.  The quality seems slightly different, but it will work for now.  

• Like 2