Sign in to follow this  
DAYtheELF

Hobgoblin hero archer - first sculpt ever

Why not? I've never sculpted before, but I enjoy painting minis. I've done a few very minor mods before. I wanted more. So I decided to try making my own custom mini. I read the article in Kinetic7 vol 1, swung by a suprising number of craft/ art stores, decided on a build, and went to it with as little foreplanning as possible (before I lost my nerve).

I decided to try to make a female Hobgoblin hero archer. Why? Well, our Fighter cleric just picked up a hobgoblin cohort in our DragonLance game and there don't appear to be any female hobgobling archer minis already lying about on the interwebs. Also, hobgoblins are kind of ugly, so there is room for lots of error. They are more heavy set, so I can get away with less fine detail if I want. And finally, it's not someone's main PC, so I feel way less pressure.

To make things easier on myself I decided to base my creation off a mini I already have lying around: 03166: Alistrilee, Elf Archer by Bobby Jackson

Spent more hours than I should have last night getting the basic shape down and making her face. Results below.

First thoughts? Fun! Also, Sculpey Firm is still really soft and I didn't even use clay softener. I kept having to put it in the freezer for a couple minutes to firm it up. Next time I may just go with the harder greenstuff-like-stuff for everything and not just the underbase (but I am also not sure I can work that fast).

post-9013-0-52797000-1355414705_thumb.jpg

post-9013-0-21317700-1355414707_thumb.jpg

post-9013-0-32848700-1355414708.jpg

• Like 7

whoo! Great job! You are bravely going, etc. For the greenstuff you can always work piecemeal- build a wire frame, do basic framework one day. Another day come back and add details in one area. That way you don't feel rushed. Are you going to bake her now and then sand/file clothing lines, or use greenstuff to add details? Either way will look cool. I bet you could build your bow out of wire- maybe a, 18 or 20. I've always wanted to try a bowstring out of 28 gauge wire. Awesome!! Keep at it!!! ::D:

• Like 1

Thanks! She's in the fridge right now... this will make sure she is nice and firm for me tonight and that cat fur won't get on her. I'm planning when I get home to smooth her out and get a bit more of the body defined proper-like so I wont have to muck around with fixing the underlayers after I add the upperlayers. I haven't decided how I am going to go about clothing/ armour/ accoutrements. Will I just build on with more Sculpey sans baking? Will I bake the body and then build on with the greenstuff-like-stuff I have (it's grey. I forget the brand, but my gaming store didn't carry greenstuff and NONE of the art/ craft stores had anything of the sort)? I am a bit intimidated by the air-curing putty, so I may just stick it all out with forgiving, if soft, Sculpey for the nonce.

If you're using plumber's putty or something similar, please wear gloves. That stuff is LOADED with Bisphenol A, which can be absorbed through the skin.

you can always do as much as possible with your scupley and err on the "narrow" side- making parts slimmer, as if you hadn't added a final layer of clothing/padding/muscle, then go back after she's baked and add more with the "2 part epoxy of choice", or more with the scupley and just re-bake it. The worst that will happen is the original sculpey will burn, which you'll paint over anyway. If your P3 is anything like milliput, it drys rock hard and is very stable (I like it for framework for this reason.) Fear not the epoxy, for it is your friend! It holds detail so much better than sculpey (and I love sculpey!) If you want, mix up a tiny bit and practice making a pouch, your bow or a dagger which you can add to the scuplt later- that way if you're not happy with it, it's unattached and won't mess up the sculpt. I just noticed the green and brown stuff was back in the reaper online store- if you need anything else it may be a good excuse to pick it up, and if you order enough you can get a free mini! Do you have a hobby lobby near you? I'm pretty sure mine carried the milliput when I checked last month. ::):

• Like 1

You're off to a good start, I especially like the face and eyes. I've just started sculpting myself, and it is a lot of fun. Are you working from a sketch, or just figuring it out as you go along?

Also, did you have any trouble getting the super sculpey to stick to your armature? I've heard that some people use a base of epoxy on the armature and then add the sculpey on top of that. I didn't do this, and ran into a few problems with the putty slipping off.

• Like 1

Also, did you have any trouble getting the super sculpey to stick to your armature? I've heard that some people use a base of epoxy on the armature and then add the sculpey on top of that. I didn't do this, and ran into a few problems with the putty slipping off.

I used a base of modeling putty for stickiness and stability and put the sculpey on it. :)

Giving thought today to resculpting her head in the modeling putty. If it works out I can just nip off the sculpey version. If it doesn't then I can leave on her head. The bonus would be that I wont accidentally squish her mouth or something whilst working on somewhere else.... hmmm..

Okay, here are some of the steps I went through tonight:

Added clothes and some details.

Added weapons (weapons and a few details with the model putty).

Next steps will be to firm up her spaghetti arm (holding the bow - I made a vambrace out of the modeling putty which should stiffen it up once attached), add detaisl on her lower half, and then work on hair.

post-9013-0-03073600-1355468831.jpg

post-9013-0-72126700-1355468831.jpg

post-9013-0-33542300-1355468832.jpg

post-9013-0-91161900-1355468832.jpg

post-9013-0-55617800-1355468833.jpg

• Like 3

This is really neat =) You're doing so well I had to double check that you said you'd never sculpted before! I've been considering scuplting my own, just cause there's not enough variety of more exotic female types out there. But I'm starting less ambitious, with a mohawk >.>b

Keep up the good work, I look forward to watching you sculpt her =)

• Like 1